• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are the top 3 characteristics you want in your successful NFL QB?

TheRealDeal

I agree with Mr. Scot. And I'll smack the first person who says Cam doesn't have those attributes, when he's just a rookie :P

Newton has done very well in the decision making in most games. When something does go wrong, it's generally because of a bad throw, not a bad decision.

As to his accuracy, yesterday aside most of his passes are catchable, even if they're not exactly perfect. He does throw a perfect one every now and then. He also throws the occasional "what the @#$%" pass as well, but that's typical of a gunslinger type QB.

Leadership? I've said it before. Coach can make you a starter. It's up to you - and your teammates - whether or not you become a leader. Newton is doing well there so far, though I do think the losing games is starting to wear on him a little. He's not used to that. He's going to have to learn how to handle that the right way. For my part, I think he will.

Of those three, the area where he still needs the most work is likely accuracy, but I think part of that can be attributed to the fact that the long season and the pro transition have worn on him somewhat.

Building chemistry with his receivers has helped his accuracy a lot over the course of the season. When he comes back fresh next year, I think he'll be in a good position to pick up where he left off and show further improvement there.

So nothing with actually throwing the ball?

Well. I meant those in broad terms. Playmaking ability I meant as a throwing attribute. It doesn't do you any good to see the field well if you either can't make the throw physically or don't have the courage/confidence.

Decision making is self explanatory

and pocket presence/mobility was meant in terms of mobility within the pocket. Knowing instinctively when to step up, slide to the left or right, or scramble for positive yardage. It doesn't do you any good to have a rocket for an arm and great accuracy if you can't feel pressure and buy yourself and you receivers time in the NFL.

For instance Kellen Moore may not be a good NFL QB. But in terms of his college career there isn't anyone in college football who moves better within the pocket. That is a big reason why he was only sacked like 8 times all season.

So... Testaverde? :cool:

More like Marino, though Rodgers is a good example that someone else mentioned.

Athleticism is nice to have if you also have the other stuff, but it isn't essential. Being able to run is worthless if you can't get the football where it needs to go.

If you're already a solid passer, then being a run threat adds an extra dimension, but some of the most successful QBs of all time (Marino, Montana, Manning, Brady, etc) have been guys that didn't scare anybody as a runner.

Newton can pass and run, so I'm happy. If he could pass but couldn't run, I'd still be happy. If he could run but not pass, I'd be hoping for a replacement.

More like Marino, though Rodgers is a good example that someone else mentioned.

Athleticism is nice to have if you also have the other stuff, but it isn't essential. Being able to run is worthless if you can't get the football where it needs to go.

If you're already a solid passer, then being a run threat adds an extra dimension, but some of the most successful QBs of all time (Marino, Montana, Manning, Brady, etc) have been guys that didn't scare anybody as a runner.

Newton can pass and run, so I'm happy. If he could pass but couldn't run, I'd still be happy. If he could run but not pass, I'd be hoping for a replacement.

The best athletic version of all this is Steve Young, imo.

Archived