• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned..I think

blackcat

My guess is we wanted to score quickly because we had 2 timeouts left and the 2 minute warning. The thinking was if we score now even if we don't get the 2 point conversion we have a chance to get the ball back and only need a field goal. However, if we go 4 and out (like we did), if we get a three and out, although we would not have any timeouts we still should have pretty good field position to have one last drive for the tie and about 2:00 minutes on the clock (remember they got a first down on the set of downs before the 3rd and 6 play that they converted). It was a matter of trying to get two possessions instead of just one.

You may not agree but the coaching staff would tell you they thought it put us in the best position to win the game. Whether you agree or not is a different story.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but what say you about our play calling with 1st and 5, with us going for broke all 4 downs. IMO, we spaz out in these situations, trying to score not now but right now, and we end up sh$tying the bed.

If you are talking about the final drive.... I agree. I have yapped about that in several threads. I get going for the end zone with that pass to Olsen. That was actually there on that play and Olsen had that same route open on a previouse drive, but Cam didnt see him. So I get that one and see why they took that shot..... BUT when it was 2nd & 5, then 3rd and 5, then 4th and 5 - I was saying the same thing. How about lets get a first down and keep the drive going. Instead it was a RB in the flat and all WR 20+yards downfield in or right by the endzone. There was nobody running intermediate routes and attempting anything just past the chains.

The only thing I was thinking is maybe they wanted to score quick just in case they didnt make the 2pt conversion. Then they would have given themselves time to get the ball back. I dont know... sometimes it seams they always go for the home run.

This is my issue... people flipped out that we ran the ball three times at the end of the half... "too conservative"... Now people flip out over three passes with 5 yards to go... "too aggressive"... it's always something when plays don't work.

I thought the conservative play at the end of the half was appropriate... what if we'd turned the ball over there at the end of the half and allowed them to score with a very short field? No one would be happy...

I didn't mind them being aggressive with this drive... sometimes it just doesn't work out...

This is my issue... people flipped out that we ran the ball three times at the end of the half... "too conservative"... Now people flip out over three passes with 5 yards to go... "too aggressive"... it's always something when plays don't work.

I thought the conservative play at the end of the half was appropriate... what if we'd turned the ball over there at the end of the half and allowed them to score with a very short field? No one would be happy...

I didn't mind them being aggressive with this drive... sometimes it just doesn't work out...

I hear ya on this... first I was not bothered by the "conservative" play calling at the end of the first half. First the Panthers had a nice lead, dont want to do something stupid, and were going to get the ball first in the second half. That.. plus... it was 3rd and 1 , so running on that down is not necessary conservative when you should be able to get 1 yard on the ground. They get that first down and I am sure we would have seen some passes.

Now to that final drive. I had no problem with the going for it deep to get a score. My issue was on all those plays I didnt see any reciever run an intermediate route and you figure at least one of those times you just try to get the first down ... and then you can have 4 more downs to take shots again. Throwing a shorter route to get the first down to get yourself four more downs is not playing conservative.

Archived