• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton's 1 Yard Touchdown Runs

TheRealDeal

You can't compare splitting touches then to splitting them now. They may have split them, but there were 40 to go around, not 20. Also, they got 100% of the goal line touches and probably around 90% of the touches inside the redzone. They were larger than life. They were double trouble. Now, they are nothing to anyone outside Carolina.

Stewart is on pace to get the 2nd most touches he has ever had in a season. 2009 he had a ton of carries late. I think Stewart is just fine......

They were larger than life under a coach who believes a 1970's gameplan is ideal......

After Cam scored one of those 1 yard TD's, Stew yelled out in celebrating, as if he scored himself. I think that was very telling.

We've actually slowed down with those goalline Cam runs. I think the record had alot to do with Cam's number being called yesterday, but if you noticed, before each one, they ran a play for the running back first.

If I was them I would feel like I need to stop being tackled at the 1.

Exactly. In many of the "1 yard" cases, Newton is only scoring after others have had an opportunity to do so on earlier downs and failed. Not taking anything away from DWill or Stew or anything else, but they aren't just taking away from others so Cam can have his "gimme's".

TRD, the only person that seems to have a problem with it is you. I'm shocked.

That will happen when you play for a small market team with a losing record. MJD has 5 TD's and over a 1000 yards, how much are we hearing about him on the pregame shows?

BUT OH GOD WHO WILL THINK OF THE FANTASY OWNERS?!!!1!!

People around the league still know MJD is the biz but that team has absolutely no other talent on offense. We have talent on offense and our former dangerous backs are nothing more than an afterthought now.

I'm not talking about Redzone, just the 1 yard touchdowns. In the redzone, say outside the 5, Cam's talents should be utilized to the full extent and give the defense more things to worry about.

It's usually a reward for RBs to get those easy ones, but not on this team. I think it sends a little bit of a bad message to them and could come back to bite us with an aging Williams and a Stewart in his prime looking for a little more respect.

I think you probably have a point about yesterday, but not the rest of the year.

Yesterday I think the coaching staff (1) saw early that as long as the offense remained consistent they were going to score and (2) knew that WINNING the game was most important to help foster a winning attitude and (3) since this team wasn't going to make the playoffs anyway that "marks of achievement" are also important. Amongst those ACHIEVABLE "marks of achievement were/are a. a new NFL record for rushing touchdowns by a QB and b. Offensive Rookie of the Year.

You don't think D-Will and Stew are proud of Cam and their roles in attaining those "marks of achievement"?

You don't think the OL is proud of Cam and their roles in attaining those "marks of achievement"?

Its not about selfishness (though you want it to be). Its about ACHIEVING. And since making the playoffs is a non-starter at this point in the year achieving other tangible things in this order (1) wins and (2) awards is important whether you think so or not.

That's the high school attitude to have but these are professionals, their job is to produce. You have to think Stew is auditioning for a job and would like his numbers to match his talent so he can earn that last payday before he's washed up.

No reason to believe Stewart is auditioning for a job. He fits the scheme and is young.......

No reason they let Stewart walk when his contract is up....opting to keep what will then be a 30 yr old Williams who doesn't fit the scheme as well on top of it.

Williams won't finish out his last contract here.....if that is what it takes to retain Stewart.

People around the league still know MJD is the biz but that team has absolutely no other talent on offense. We have talent on offense and our former dangerous backs are nothing more than an afterthought now.

Oooooo the all powerful and unknowable "people around the league." They surround us, they penetrate us, they hold the galaxies together.

Hard to argue against them.

You can't compare splitting touches then to splitting them now. They may have split them, but there were 40 to go around, not 20. Also, they got 100% of the goal line touches and probably around 90% of the touches inside the redzone. They were larger than life. They were double trouble. Now, they are nothing to anyone outside Carolina.

It is absolutely true that running backs have the shortest careers in the NFL on average because they take the biggest beatings, game in and game out.

I'm pretty sure D-Will and Stew don't mind sharing just a few more carries and extending their careers and their million dollar salaries possibly another year.

they were the best part of our offense.....Double Trouble > Smitty in 2008, 2009, and 2010.

they no longer are the best part of our offense. They are not the focal point of the offense anymore....just part of it.

Archived