• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton's 1 Yard Touchdown Runs

TheRealDeal

How do you feel if you are Stewart or Williams? Are you frustrated that he is taking away some of your Touchdowns? Does it play into your long term view of your future here? Are you happy to sacrifice your personal financial gain and accolades? Is winning all that matters?

I think most RBs would trade some stats for a chance to win a Superbowl....Cam has the type talent he could take us there if he develops.

As the Bucs coach said when watching the redzone tape of Carolina....it is near impossible to stop Newton from getting in. They don't say that about many RBs when QBs hand it off......I don't think either mind as long as they are part of the offense.

that said, I think both RBs realize that in this system....both being on the roster is not vital for success here.

How do you feel if you are Stewart or Williams? Are you frustrated that he is taking away some of your Touchdowns? Does it play into your long term view of your future here? Are you happy to sacrifice your personal financial gain and accolades? Is winning all that matters?

DeAngelo got $43 million and isn't being ground into a pulp. Stewart will get his, and considering DeAngelo called Cam the team's best playmaker and neither RB has ever made a peep (and are now being utilized more) I think they'll be fine.

I'm not talking about Redzone, just the 1 yard touchdowns. In the redzone, say outside the 5, Cam's talents should be utilized to the full extent and give the defense more things to worry about.

It's usually a reward for RBs to get those easy ones, but not on this team. I think it sends a little bit of a bad message to them and could come back to bite us with an aging Williams and a Stewart in his prime looking for a little more respect.

I'm glad Newton is getting the job done, but I cant help but think that at least on a few of those occasions either in this game or a few back games, that we could have passed on taking the chance of our star QB getting jacked up and let either Williams/Stewart, or someone else take it in.

Actually I wanted to pose this question to Williams during his podcast...however I know he would never answer it.

Cause if there's one thing we know about DWill and JStew, it's that they HATE sharing touches to improve the team.

You can't compare splitting touches then to splitting them now. They may have split them, but there were 40 to go around, not 20. Also, they got 100% of the goal line touches and probably around 90% of the touches inside the redzone. They were larger than life. They were double trouble. Now, they are nothing to anyone outside Carolina.

I'm not talking about Redzone, just the 1 yard touchdowns. In the redzone, say outside the 5, Cam's talents should be utilized to the full extent and give the defense more things to worry about.

It's usually a reward for RBs to get those easy ones, but not on this team. I think it sends a little bit of a bad message to them and could come back to bite us with an aging Williams and a Stewart in his prime looking for a little more respect.

They give Stewart some looks there....he got a 1 yard dive for a TD this week. Bottom line is....Williams should be the 3rd option on the goal. He is probably smart enough to realize that.

Getting in isn't automatic at the goal. Every week you watch teams kick field goal after getting down there.....and you also watch a lot of passing.

If opposing NFL coaches are telling you it is near impossible to stop Newton down there.....why would you not use him. I still think they go back to using Stewart more heavily down there.....but there goalline package is pretty much the Stewart/Cam guessing game for opponents.

I'd think none of them give a poo as long as we are winning games.

I'd like to think those stats really only matter to the FF owners, not the players.

As long as we are winning, everyone should have a smile on their face.

That's the high school attitude to have but these are professionals, their job is to produce. You have to think Stew is auditioning for a job and would like his numbers to match his talent so he can earn that last payday before he's washed up.

it's only going to open things up for them and the passing game that close in the future. teams now know that we are willing to keep using newton in those situations so they have to allocate more resources to defend against it. that opens up things for williams or stewart or for receivers.

also, williams and stewart are two of the most unselfish guys in the game. seriously doubt it's a big deal to them.

not a big deal, but thanks for trying.

You can't compare splitting touches then to splitting them now. They may have split them, but there were 40 to go around, not 20. Also, they got 100% of the goal line touches and probably around 90% of the touches inside the redzone. They were larger than life. They were double trouble. Now, they are nothing to anyone outside Carolina.

That will happen when you play for a small market team with a losing record. MJD has 5 TD's and over a 1000 yards, how much are we hearing about him on the pregame shows?

BUT OH GOD WHO WILL THINK OF THE FANTASY OWNERS?!!!1!!

Archived