• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jakes Replacement

dpanthersman

The thing is, we don't really know what we have in Moore. He looked good when given a chance in his rookie year (and despite what some naysayers try to tell you, he did play against starters who had something to play for), but he had a less than stellar preseason last year. Granted in the preseason he was playing behind a backup OL that provided little protection, but even when he did have some time, his throws were not very crisp or particularly accurate, and he seemed to rush things (a lack of trust in his OL???).

Anyway, the point is that Moore may or may not be our QB of the future. I'm sure the coaches have seen a lot more in practice, so if they do look to bring in a young QB by the 4th round of the draft, I'd assume they are not sold on him. Any later, and they're probably just looking for another Basanez.

And McCown is not some backup that has not had his shot yet (a la Delhomme w/NO), he's had a handful of chances to be a starter and has yet to show that he is anything more than a solid backup. So finding Delhomme's replacement likely comes down to either Moore, or bringing in someone from the draft (I don't think there are any decent starting level QB's that are/will be available in FA). I'm just curious if our interest in Freeman is real or just more smoke.

As for whether Fox would replace Jake or not, I think he would. But he would have to feel that Jake is showing signs of age/injury, and not just having a bad day. Also, whoever is the backup would have to show that he is ready and able to lead this team before Fox would ever make the move. Particularly if it is Moore, since McCown is a vet that has at least been a starter in the league. Moore is still green and inexperienced.

The bottom line is that no change will be made unless Fox believes Jake is in genuine decline and we have a viable alternative waiting in the wings. And fan opinion would not factor into it.

I think Moore has potential, but we need more insurance than that. McCown is a very well known commodity, he's had several opportunities as a starter and he came up short... he's here for damage control.

I'd like to see us hang on to Moore while he continues to develop and replace McCown with a more viable starting option if Jake goes down or stinks it up. Not sure who that is, Maybe Quinn if Cleveland is still looking to deal him or maybe Campbell if he's still on the market? I think this is a much higher priority than most people realize. Jake is well on the wrong side of 30 with a surgically repaired arm... the clock is ticking and we don't want it to strike midnight with nothing more than McCown and Moore as options.

...but I should say that I do like the fact that the Panthers are loyal to their guys and give them the benefit of the doubt. It pays dividends in the long run and if nothing else it's just the right way to do business.

I think they use McCown as the starter for a year or two if it comes down to that and jake can't make it till Moore is ready. I think Moore gets a shot at the starting Job here eventually, I'd rather them draft a QB early next year though and mold him to be the next starter rather then Moore. With that being said I think Moore would do a fine job if he does end up getting the starting gig though.

I think they use McCown as the starter for a year or two if it comes down to that and jake can't make it till Moore is ready. I think Moore gets a shot at the starting Job here eventually, I'd rather them draft a QB early next year though and mold him to be the next starter rather then Moore. With that being said I think Moore would do a fine job if he does end up getting the starting gig though.

Yeah but all three of their contracts are done after this season. The one not starting will want to go somewhere for a chance to start. Jake if he isnt starting I think will stay here and help out as a backup.

I think that folks are not considering how deep next years draft will be at QB.

I am not a big college guy, with that said, I even know that next year is a big QB class.

just sayin....

The truth is drafting a QB is a crap shoot at best, it's a 50/50 shot as to whether or not the guy will be a bust...

I'd rather see us get a young guy that has proven in some measure that he can be successful at the NFL level.

I think Woodie was right on target on this subject. Moore really has tis year to prove himself. And training camp and practice will tell them what they need to know. I doubt we hold onto a guy as long as we did with Weinke this time. We will give our new quarterback coach time to develop him and see what we have. McCown is not going to be the man here but is a capable veteran backup.

I expect we will bring in someone in the later rounds. How early depends on if anyone falls to us and how many picks we have overall (do we trade Peppers or not). If we bring him in early or late may not be determined by how we feel about about Jake or Moore so much as how many priority needs we have for example on the defensive line to fill.

My take:

New QB coach = new chances for all 3 QBs to shine. Let's face it, McCoy was a douche. Just what exactly did he do as a QB coach? Let the guys feel good about themselves, and not want to alter anything about their technique? Yeah, I'm almost as happy to see Scherer here as I am Meeks.

With the change up, just not seeing us taking a QB this year. If the guys stink up the joint this year, then maybe next. But, until shown that none can handle this offense well, we won't be looking to go QB in the draft.

Smitty: Like it as not, he signed off on Moore to the press. That speaks volumes to me about this kid's ability. To be fair, he was the best of the bunch, with the bunch being Carr and a broken down Vinny, but still.. he coulda kept his mouth shut, and Steve still showed support for the kid. That's pretty much all the endorsement I need to reinforce my choice for the future. I liked the kid to begin with, kinda like how I liked Jake in 2003. Steve just backed it up for me. :)

My take:

New QB coach = new chances for all 3 QBs to shine. Let's face it, McCoy was a douche. Just what exactly did he do as a QB coach? Let the guys feel good about themselves, and not want to alter anything about their technique? Yeah, I'm almost as happy to see Scherer here as I am Meeks.

With the change up, just not seeing us taking a QB this year. If the guys stink up the joint this year, then maybe next. But, until shown that none can handle this offense well, we won't be looking to go QB in the draft.

Smitty: Like it as not, he signed off on Moore to the press. That speaks volumes to me about this kid's ability. To be fair, he was the best of the bunch, with the bunch being Carr and a broken down Vinny, but still.. he coulda kept his mouth shut, and Steve still showed support for the kid. That's pretty much all the endorsement I need to reinforce my choice for the future. I liked the kid to begin with, kinda like how I liked Jake in 2003. Steve just backed it up for me. :)

I remember that. The video of his NFL Network interview was a hoot.

("Throw a couple passes and you're on NFL Network?") :lol:

Given that Fox doesn't put a lot of trust in rookies to play certain positions (QB being one of them) you could call it borderline miraculous that he played that season at all. Overall happy that he did, though.

Archived