• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CardiacCats Panthers 7 Round Mock, Edition 1

CardiacCats

I normally do the "Top 5 Players on the Panther Draft Board Thing" but, to switch it up, I'm going to show you my 7 round mock. In my version I have the Panthers trading from the top 5 to the latter half of the first round in the 20-25 range, picking up an extra second round pick in the process. Let's get it.

Round 1: Janoris Jenkins, CB, 5'10, 183 lbs - Florida/North Alabama

Janoris+Jenkins+-XGl3611sq3m.jpg

As you may remember from my other threads, I like Jenkins a lot...I actually think he's the second best defensive back in the draft after Claiborne. He has just had a few off the field concerns, he seems to be getting things back on track and as long as he can keep that up he's going to be a star in the league and a lock down corner, he and Gamble would be maybe the best CB duo in the NFC. I really like this guy and you can trade back to get him which is a huge plus. Jenkins finished his junior season at Florida with 34 tackles and 3 interceptions, another thing I love about this guy: the name Julio Jones could be one that frustrates us for years to come, but everytime Jenkins played the guy Jones couldn't do squat against him, he completely got into his head. He plays with a great swagger our defense needs and can change the game, love this guy.

Round 2, Pick 1: Dontari Poe, DT, 6'5", 350, Memphis

65746710.jpg

This guy is absolutely huge as you can see by his size. He would be a great prospect to groom under Ron Edwards, although he doesn't have many tackles or sacks this year, that number is deceiving as he is the space eater on the Tigers defensive line, so far in his junior campaign Poe has 21 tackles and a sack, as a sophomore he compiled 41 stops and 2 sacks. The Panthers obviously need help at the defensive line and Poe would be a great pick up early in the second round, I think he can be a great player potentially down the road.

Round 2, Pick 2: Travis Lewis, OLB, 6'2", 227 lbs, Oklahoma

travis-lewis1.bmp

The Panthers go defense again here, this time with a linebacker in a guy I really like - Travis Lewis out of Oklahoma. Lewis has arguably been the best player on that Oklahoma defense ever since he stepped foot on campus in 2008 when he made 135 stops as a freshman. I honestly don't know why this guy's stock isn't late first round, but many mocks have him going in the mid-late second so I won't complain. He would definitely start right away, Lewis can do it all as he can stop the run and drop back into coverage, he has a total of 8 interceptions in his Oklahoma career which is a nice number for a linebacker.

Round 4: Bobby Massie, OT, 6'6", 315 lbs, Mississippi

78113714.jpg.22348_display_image.jpg

The Panthers finally go offense here as they take junior lineman from Ole Miss Bobby Massie who has been one of the few standouts on a very disappointing Ole Miss squad this year. Byron Bell has really struggled and Gross seems to be regressing so Massie could be worth the shot here as he could he seems to have the tools to be a long-term NFL starter. Obviously Massie could return to school to improve his draft stock but enduring a coaching change and other issues, he could also very well come out as he projects as a mid-round pick at this point.

Round 5: Brian Quick, WR, 6'5", 220 lbs, Appalachian State

BrianQuick.jpg

I know, a lot of you may not like the idea of taking another Appy State player after the Armanti experiment, and we haven't been very good at picking receivers in the middle of the draft ever since we got Steve Smith back int he 2001 draft. But being an App State, season ticket holder I can honestly say no one has EVER been able to stay on this guy in single coverage, and I mean no one. Obviously there's a difference between Western Carolina defensive backs and Darrelle Revis, but that still doesn't mean this guy isn't an outstanding prospect and could be one of the steals of the draft. He would be a great red zone target and has sure hands, he is the all time leading receiver in Boone, he can leap....

Round 6: Caleb Sturgis, K, 6'3", 200 lbs, Florida

1257659110.jpg

Just like in the other 7 round mock on here, the Mare experiment has to be over and I think Sturgis is the best kicker in the draft. He's 15-16 on field goals this year and 19-19 on PATs, not much more to be said. We have to find that next franchise kicker like Kasay was...Sturgis should be able to fit the mold.

Round 7: Carmen Messina, ILB, 6'2", 236 lbs, New Mexico

Carmen+Messina+TCU+v+New+Mexico+nxSkXEA9pRNl.jpg

In round 7, we just need to go BPA on defense in my opinion. Our special teams have been pathetic this year so we need to find some hard workers that just want to live their dream of being NFL players, no matter what the role...guys from lower, struggling programs like Messina seem to fit the mold. There's another NFL middle linebacker out of New Mexico who has been half way decent, his name was Brian Urlacher...anyone ever heard of him? Not saying we need help at MLB, but we do need help on special teams and with 121 tackles, 3 sacks and 1 pick this year, Messina should be able to contribute.

Tell me what you think, imo we have 4 instant starters (Jenkins, Poe, Lewis, Sturgis) and other potential steals in Quick and Massie...I love input.

Defense would now be:

DE-CJ

DT-Edwards

DT-Poe

DE-Hardy

OLB-Lewis

ILB-Beason

OLB-Anderson

CB-Jenkins

FS-Martin

SS-Godrey

CB-Gamble

seems much improved to me

I like this mock but I would pick a blue chip, top 5 guy, we sure as hell need one. Someone would probably give up their draft to get Landry Jones or Matt Barkley. We could probably get a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a 2013 1st and 3rd if they really liked one of those guys.

I know Poe isn't! "Body thrown at position" means I think he is nothing special.

I love the youth movement, but we gotta spread it out! Also, games are showing us we are too inexperienced at the DT position! If we do take a DT this draft, I think it will be Jared Frocks if he falls far enough! He can play UT and DE in a 3-4! Gives Ron options!

Archived