• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why does no one want Quinton Coples?

CardiacCats

He is a lazier, less talented version of Julius Peppers and by that I mean he's a freak of a football player that slack asses 80% of the time instead of 40% of the time. The guy should be UNBLOCKABLE in the ACC. He will make one great play a game and then disappear the rest of the time. He's just been extremely underwhleming to me and IMO a great motor for a DE is just as important as freak skills. Jared Allen is probably the best 4-3 DE in the game and he started out his career as a nobody but because of his hustle is now regarded as the best in the game. So...no thank you to the supremely talented but lazy defensive linemen. It doesn't turn out well.

So did John Randle. Heart and motor and determination. This guy has talent but that's about it.

because de isn't the problem with this defense. lb (due to injury) and cb due to suckage is...

Yeah, first pick has to be LB or CB. Sorry to anyone who doesn't agree. But it really needs to be. There will be plenty of talent at both positions. Wouldn't mind getting Blackmon or or Jeffrey to add a go to guy that can catch anything in important situations.

We will have a top 5 pick. I would trade back in in the first and try to pick up a 3rd round pick and a 1st rounder next year some other picks.

With the later first round I would try to get a good LB like Monti Te'o or a CB like Janoris Jenkins or something unless better players were available.

But of course Hurney is too stupid to do smart stuff like that.

I don't like the idea of spending a pick that early on a CB, not unless I think the guys going to be the next Revis and that's unlikely. I don't think there's an OLB worth the pick either. Also both OLB and CB look extremely deep so you can get quality players later.

I wouldn't mind trading down to the 6-10 range, picking up Stanfords Martin whose making a case himself as the best OT in the draft. Then going both OLB and CB in the 2nd, which should provide a nice value there. Do I really expect this to happen though? Not really.

As far as Coples, when even UNC homers don't want to draft the guy that should tell you everything you need to know. I'd really like to see DE depth addressed but a cheap vet should be good enough for the time being.

I do not think DE is where we should be focused, especially if we are going to see more 3-4 (my prediction as of now). A corner who could shake things up at the shut-down spot for us by giving Chris a run for his money would be my choice. I would like to see DT after that for some depth and then combine the rest of the picks to clone me another Brad Hoover. A guy who actually has the nose and heart to do the job at Fullback again would be nice.

As for the bagging on QC, he has drawn at least a double on practically every play this year and is the primary concern for every OC that has game-planned against UNC this season. The on-off culprit this year in Chapel Hill who was supposed to stuff the stat sheet as a result of all the attention that QC commanded is Donte Paige-Moss, a true 5-star recruit who has disappointed me and most people who actually know what they are looking at.

what Tar Heel has Carolina drafted since Pep?

I can't remember. I know Balmer and Burney had a cup of coffee this year off the wire and undrafted but I can't remember any others. What am I forgetting?

Hilee Taylor's the only other UNC player I remember Carolina drafting - he was a late (6th?) pick.

Hilee Taylor's the only other UNC player I remember Carolina drafting - he was a late (6th?) pick.

ahh, forgot. I thought he was gonna surprise us too. Hell of a college player though. Weird size and skill set for an NFL 4-3.

Thanks for reminding me. Wonder why rico6 would compare a 6th round flier to a potential 2nd overall pick. Must be ABC.

:)

Coples big year last year came at DT " TOT 59 , SOLO 33 , AST 26 , SACK 10.0 , FF 1 ". This year he's put up good numbers , especially since he's double team most of the time . " TOT 45 , SOLO 22 , AST 23 , SACK 5.5 , FF 1 " At 6'6 285 he would be a good fit at DT , and a huge upgrade from what we have.

As for the bagging on QC, he has drawn at least a double on practically every play this year and is the primary concern for every OC that has game-planned against UNC this season. The on-off culprit this year in Chapel Hill who was supposed to stuff the stat sheet as a result of all the attention that QC commanded is Donte Paige-Moss, a true 5-star recruit who has disappointed me and most people who actually know what they are looking at.

I remember when people said this about Peppers his last two years, and then when you watched the games you saw that just wasn't true....

Archived