• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Winning takes Losing

Vagrant

In the NFL you have to learn how to win. It is a process in which almost every successful team has had to learn. What the Carolina Panthers are doing right now is learning how to win. It's painful, it sucks to watch, and it's annoying to see one side of the ball perform consistently well while the other side disappoints, but it is a process that EVERY team goes through.

I do not condone mediocrity. I do not condone losing. However, I understand that in order to be the Packers, Lions, and 49ers of today by next season, we have to be the lean years version of those clubs right now.

We will lose more games. We will get a difference maker at whatever position we draft. We WILL be a playoff team next season. No doubt in my mind.

This is the time when real fans of the team earn their stripes. This is our 1-15 season payment for the 2001 season when we went to the Super Bowl. Dues must be paid by fans and players alike.

Suffer through the lean times and the good times will be much richer because you will have been along for the whole ride. The maturation of Cam Newton continues every single snap.

i dunno to me you learn to win by winning some games lol

For sure, but the pain of losing games, especially close and heartbreaking games, is one of the PRIMARY motivators for players because they learn that as high as you may be flying one minute, things can change in one possession in the NFL and that means that you go out there and play hard every single snap to avoid that gutwrenching feeling of losing close ball games.

For sure, but the pain of losing games, especially close and heartbreaking games, is one of the PRIMARY motivators for players because they learn that as high as you may be flying one minute, things can change in one possession in the NFL and that means that you go out there and play hard every single snap to avoid that gutwrenching feeling of losing close ball games.

i think this season is about getting that losing stink from last year off of our players and it's a hard smell to get rid of. it's hard to go through another one of these experiences even if the offense is better. It just seems like a waste to have to go through this when we can all see that a good team is in there somewhere lol.

Ok this is the kind of poo that pisses me off.

Reality check: out of all of those organization only one was in the same position as us this year and made the right move: the 49'ers. And they got themselves a winning HC first. GB was never in this situation. They were in 2007 like we were in 2008. They went 13-3 and lost in the playoffs. They went 6-9 the next year and right back to 11-5 in 2009 after that. They did it right. Lions, Rams, Miami, Raiders, Browns....they have been the bottom of the NFL for years, and blowing millions on top picks has not gotten them anywhere. I don't want to be like the Lions, because the Lions will probably follow Miami's footsteps and be right back to losers next year.

We were a team like GB. We went 8-8 after our playoff loss. If we were like GB that's all we really needed when we let Jake go. We could be just like them by now. It took them 1 year to get back to winning and they went 6-10 that one year, and they never had a 2-14 season like us followed by another 2-6 start. We are turning into trash and you guys are happy about it and trying to convince yourselves and others that: "this is how it's done".

What exactly have we gained out of all of this? A #1 draft pick QB. Let's talk about #1 pick QB's for a second:

2010 Sam Bradford

2009 Matthew Stafford

2007 JaMarcus Russell

2005 Alex Smith

2004 Eli Manning

2003 Carson Palmer

2002 David Carr

2001 Michael Vick

2000 Courtney Brown

1999 Tim Couch

1998 Peyton Manning

Only two top pick QB's ended up Superbowl winners and only one of them can really be called Elite. And the only thing I believe they have in common that led them to a Superbowl is that they are Mannings and went to the right teams, not that they are #1 draft pics. The rest are so-so or not looking all that great.

Here's your Superbowl winners in the past decade other than those 2:

Aaaron: 24th

Brady: 7th rounder 4 times

Brees: 2nd round

Big Ben: 11th

James Bradley Johnson: 9th round

Trent Farris Dilfer: 6th

Kurtis Eugene "Kurt" Warner: undrafted

Other notable appearances:

"Kurt" Warner: undrafted 2 times

Jake Delhomme: undrafted

So no you don't need to lose your ass off to build your team and take a #1 pick as your QB to find you a Superbowl winning QB or take you to a Superbowl. In fact the odds are stacked against you. You don't need to lose your ass off so you can pick first and find you an elite QB either. In fact, the odds are stacked against you in this as well if you pick 1st! The only 1st draft pick to win a Superbowl and be called elite in the past 13 years since Peyton was drafted was Elway, #1 back in 1983 and it took him 14 years to win his first Superbowl. All of those years in between were a bunch of teams doing the same thing...not subscribing to this ideology.

So I don't care what brainwashing does around here, I can always look on history for help and history says this is NOT how you do it. So yeah we better hope Cam Newton turns out to be the next Peyton Manning or John Elway and the odds are heavily stacked against this. Personally I would be just as happy continuing to win while hoping to land a Superbowl winning or elite QB in the lower rankings or later rounds. Odds are better that's where you will find them.

Ok this is the kind of poo that pisses me off.

Reality check: out of all of those organization only one was in the same position as us this year and made the right move: the 49'ers. And they got themselves a winning HC first. GB was never in this situation. They were in 2007 like we were in 2008. They went 13-3 and lost in the playoffs. They went 6-9 the next year and right back to 11-5 in 2009 after that. They did it right. Lions, Rams, Miami, Raiders, Browns....they have been the bottom of the NFL for years, and blowing millions on top picks has not gotten them anywhere. I don't want to be like the Lions, because the Lions will probably follow Miami's footsteps and be right back to losers next year.

We were a team like GB. We went 8-8 after our playoff loss. If we were like GB that's all we really needed when we let Jake go. We could be just like them by now. It took them 1 year to get back to winning and they went 6-10 that one year, and they never had a 2-14 season like us followed by another 2-6 start. We are turning into trash and you guys are happy about it and trying to convince yourselves and others that: "this is how it's done".

What exactly have we gained out of all of this? A #1 draft pick QB. Let's talk about #1 pick QB's for a second:

2010 Sam Bradford

2009 Matthew Stafford

2007 JaMarcus Russell

2005 Alex Smith

2004 Eli Manning

2003 Carson Palmer

2002 David Carr

2001 Michael Vick

2000 Courtney Brown

1999 Tim Couch

1998 Peyton Manning

Only two top pick QB's ended up Superbowl winners and only one of them can really be called Elite. And the only thing I believe they have in common that led them to a Superbowl is that they are Mannings and went to the right teams, not that they are #1 draft pics. The rest are so-so or not looking all that great.

Here's your Superbowl winners in the past decade other than those 2:

Aaaron: 24th

Brady: 7th rounder 4 times

Brees: 2nd round

Big Ben: 11th

James Bradley Johnson: 9th round

Trent Farris Dilfer: 6th

Kurtis Eugene "Kurt" Warner: undrafted

Other notable appearances:

"Kurt" Warner: undrafted 2 times

Jake Delhomme: undrafted

So no you don't need to lose your ass off to build your team and take a #1 pick as your QB to find you a Superbowl winning QB or take you to a Superbowl. In fact the odds are stacked against you. You don't need to lose your ass off so you can pick first and find you an elite QB either. In fact, the odds are stacked against you in this as well if you pick 1st! The only 1st draft pick to win a Superbowl and be called elite in the past 13 years since Peyton was drafted was Elway, #1 back in 1983 and it took him 14 years to win his first Superbowl. All of those years in between were a bunch of teams doing the same thing...not subscribing to this ideology.

So I don't care what brainwashing does around here, I can always look on history for help and history says this is NOT how you do it. So yeah we better hope Cam Newton turns out to be the next Peyton Manning or John Elway and the odds are heavily stacked against this. Personally I would be just as happy continuing to win while hoping to land a Superbowl winning or elite QB in the lower rankings or later rounds. Odds are better that's where you will find them.

SMH..... Are you serious?

The maturation of Cam Newton continues every single snap.

There's no doubt in my mind Cam Newton is already plenty good enough to win in the NFL right now. I mean if Matt Ryan is 37-16 in his career Cam should be 6-2 or 5-3 right now.

He's just not getting any help unlike that other guy

Again, we took this route and there's little anything anybody else can do about it now. But please, please please stop telling people this is how it's supposed to be. That we're supposed to be losing and we should be ok with it.

Enough of this damn lie already. It's something you tell kids to help them fall asleep, not grown adults who can think for themselves, look around, and see that this is just a crock of poo.

"With the first overall pick in the 2000 nfl draft, the Cleveland Browns select, Courtney Brown, QB, Penn State"

logic, history, common sense apply to which part of this exactly

What does Courtney Brown have to do with the fact that the majority who pick QB's 1st in a draft DON'T actually go on to win Superbowls? And the majority of #1 QB draft pics don't actually end up Superbowl Champions, nor elite? Or the teams who have picked consistently first are not actually any better than those that don't?

I'm failing to see how that is an example of the "way to do things".

Archived