• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Transferring Files From One Computer to Another

Woodcookedbbq

No, floppy disks with spanning software is old school... we used to do that crap back in the mid-ninties before we set up our first LAN. That was also back when files were measured in KB instead of GB.

Oddly enough a coworker of mine had to get my help using spanning software yesterday. Probably had to email something giant.

Jesus, that was a nightmare. Half the time you'd try to restore from the set of disks and one would screw up on you.

Yep... and do you remember the first CD writers? It would take like 2 hours to write a disc and 3 out of 4 would bomb 2/3 of the way into writing them. Those were the days...

Yep... and do you remember the first CD writers? It would take like 2 hours to write a disc and 3 out of 4 would bomb 2/3 of the way into writing them. Those were the days...

Yep!

Worse yet...I have CDs that are close to 10 years old that get all kinds of read errors when I try to get files off them. So much for CDs/DVDs being good archival media. I think I'd rather put files on a hard drive. One where you'd only write to it until it was full. No writing and deleting over and over. Write only when (not connected to a pc).

Yep!

Worse yet...I have CDs that are close to 10 years old that get all kinds of read errors when I try to get files off them. So much for CDs/DVDs being good archival media. I think I'd rather put files on a hard drive. One where you'd only write to it until it was full. No writing and deleting over and over. Write only when (not connected to a pc).

Are they CD-RW discs or just CD-R discs? I never did get into the CD-RW thing. I always just burned 'em and tossed in the file, even if it was nowhere near being a full discs worth of data. I have some that are like 8-10 years old that seem fine that are CD-R discs.

We've gone completely to hard drive backup. Either external USB or mobile racks for internal HDDs. I don't know what the life of the data is on them, but if it lasts 5 years, I'm good with it. We have SO much data there's really nothing else for us to use.

Plain old CD-Rs....never did RW either. And they're brand name discs, not the no-name stuff you get at computer shows.

I'd be willing to bet it has more to do with those old burners than the discs. We used to get a lot of read errors on the discs when they were new... back when we were using those first and second gen burners. 2X CD burning is living hell.

They go so fast now, I hardly even notice them... and that's while I'm listening to MP3's, running image processing, and surfing por... uh, the internet.

I remember when we had one burner out of the PC's we had in our office. Now every PC has two.

One time our purchase guy bought a crap load of cheap cd's and we used them to burn software installs for customers. My install was like 670 MB. Only about 25% of these cd's would hold it the rest would error out. Boy he saved a buck.

Archived