• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney (you knew this thread was coming)

Ricky Spanish

Oh boy, whoever brought up the fact that Hurney tried to trade up for Clausen hit it out of the ballpark. I want you to imagine what the state of this franchise and fan base would have been if Hurney had been successful and, instead of having Cam, we were stuck with Clausen and the Rams had our #1 pick from earlier this year.

That's the most damning one of all is it not?

So the most damning issue for Hurney is what he might have done but didn't.

That is like saying the worst thing you did was lust in your heart but didn't do anything about it.

He didn't do it and obviously it was because the Panthers weren't willing to pay whatever the cost that the other teams wanted. Seems pretty smart to me actually.

Almost trading this year's number one pick for Jimmy Clausen

totally completely wrong. Hurney said specifically he wasn't going to trade this year's number one pick for jimmy. there is absolutely no evidence for this claim, and evidence to the contrary, yet people like to whine about it because hurney has been too free wheeling in the past...

totally completely wrong. Hurney said specifically he wasn't going to trade this year's number one pick for jimmy. there is absolutely no evidence for this claim, and evidence to the contrary, yet people like to whine about it because hurney has been too free wheeling in the past...

only like 1/10 of the complaints in this thread actually happened, to say nothing of being valid.

Oh boy, whoever brought up the fact that Hurney tried to trade up for Clausen hit it out of the ballpark. I want you to imagine what the state of this franchise and fan base would have been if Hurney had been successful and, instead of having Cam, we were stuck with Clausen and the Rams had our #1 pick from earlier this year.

That's the most damning one of all is it not?

It's been stated numerous times Hurney never offered our first round from the next year to move up. Perhaps you've noticed that the Ram's didn't accept the trade. Thanks for playing though.

just a reminder to everyone bitching about not getting anything for JP, his agent pretty much nuked his trade value when he declared the list of teams he'd accept a trade to, and that he wanted to play a position he'd never played before.

I guess if you're making the argument Hurney is the worst GM ever or something, it would make it easier to defend that point if you just make up random poo he maybe could have done but didn't.

hey guys remember when Hurney almost traded 4 first round draft picks for Vhernon Gholston?? why is he still our GM?

edit: I know the OP didn't say that at all but some of you jesus.

I'm not the biggest Hurney guy, but some of the arguments against him in this thread are downright stupid and inaccurate.

Also, I've met him a couple times and have spoken to him, and there isn't a guy in that front office who hurts for the fanbase more when we are terrible. The guy loves this team and all of you guys bashing him. Yes, as I said, I'm not on board with his "guy we really liked coming out" philosophy. I can't stand when we pass up proven players in FA for "guys we really liked coming out that aren't good enough to make any other roster." That said, I won't bash the man personally when a bunch of his dumber moves over the course of the years have all been desperate attempts just to make you ungrateful tools happy and make it so you can enjoy Panthers football.

you guys know that the Panthers overpay for free agents because there's nothing inherently attractive about living in Charlotte and until Cam no one anyone would really want to play with, right?

It's not like every single free agent is anxiously sitting by their phone, hoping the Panthers call them.

So the most damning issue for Hurney is what he might have done but didn't.

That is like saying the worst thing you did was lust in your heart but didn't do anything about it.

He didn't do it and obviously it was because the Panthers weren't willing to pay whatever the cost that the other teams wanted. Seems pretty smart to me actually.

He DID try to do it. You are inaccurate. The reports were that Hurney attempted to get the Rams' pick, but they wouldn't budge.

Okay I actually just did the research and Hurney absolutely was trying to trade up, but apparently didn't want to trade the 2011 1st. So you can take that one blemish away from him, but so what? That one would have been mind-numbingly stupid even for someone on the Huddle if they were the GM to have done much less an actual professional.

Archived