• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney (you knew this thread was coming)

Ricky Spanish

Drafting Cam alone is worth at least 10 goods.

He only did what more than half the Huddle would have done, including me. Should I be hired as the next Panthers GM? Actually, come to think of it, being one of the great NFL message board posters on the Internet is pretty close to having as much qualification as a sports reporter has.

Too many assumptions going on in this thread, no one here is behind the scenes to know what is really going on. So if you want to argue either way without really knowing, carry on.

Why do you need locker room access to make observations about publicly known moves a football team makes and discuss them?

There are a boatload of good things and several glaring failures. Successes since 2007 include great drafting at the bottom of the draft- look at Bernadeau, Schwartz, Hardy, Gettis, Munnerlyn, Pugh, Stanford and McClain, and potentially Ziemba.

We have brought in a number of free agents who have contributed in the past 4 years- Hollis Thomas, Brayton, Keydrick Vincent, Omar Gaither, Derek Landri, Rhys LLoyd, Matt Moore, Geoff Hangardner, etc.

We have traded for Harris, Olsen, and Jamar Williams.

The failure part. I don't include Pepper's in that given he signed elsewhere for the same or less money than we were prepared to give. I don't include Jenkins because he was on IR 3 of the past 4 years.

I won't detail the busts already mentioned but I would say dumping all the vets in 2010 was his and JR's greatest mistake. It set up back years for which we are still paying. Dumping Delhomme was a big mistake given we had to pay for him already and we did it for Matt Moore who only played a few games before he went on IR in 2010.

Failing to pick up a 2nd receiver by passing on so many vets over the past few years like Boldin, Marshall, Lloyd, among many others.

Failing until this year to draft a QB in the first round. Instead going for David Carr and Josh McCown. I don't include Moore since he helped us quite a bit in 2009.

Overall his success outweigh his failures.

How are all those scrubs like Pugh and Stanford success stories? Just because they've been starters on a terrible team that does nothing but play its rookies and undrafted free agents? It's a self-fulfilling thing Hurney has going here. Since the only possible players that can start at these different positions are players Hurney drafted or signed as UFAs, *of course* they're going to start. No one else possibly can because no one else is on the team.

For all you Hurney Haters:

Let's look at Bill Polian (who has won NFL executive of the year six times) and at his first round picks since taking Dallas Clark in 03

05- Marlin Jackson

06- Addai

07- Anthony Gonzalez

09- Donald Brown

10- Jerry Hughes

But wait those players teh suck.....your damn right they do because EVERY GM whiffs sometimes. You wanna know what Polian nailed though, Manning. Manning is one of the sole reasons the Colts have been competitive, don't believe me. Look at this year.

Cam is our Manning. We have Smith, two promising young receivers, a hell of a tight end in Olsen. Two Pro-Bowl caliber players on our line, with two solid guards. Granted a young, inexperienced defense, which is missing its captain and leader Jon Beason. A freak of nature linebacker in Thomas Davis, and a solid veteran nose tackle in Ron Edwards.

Guess who had a hand in all the aforementioned? We're a young team on the rise, with an absolute stud at the most important position.

So while I'm not saying Hurney is guaranteed a free-pass for life. Let's let him have a couple years with our first franchise qb ever and a new coaching staff.

Also I'm fuging tired of the D-Will argument for so many reasons. This isn't fuging Madden its not like you say well we can sign Barry Coefield instead of D-Will. It doesn't happen like that, especially for a team coming off a 2-14 season and had (at the time) Pickles, and an unproven rookie in the franchise's hands.

How are all those scrubs like Pugh and Stanford success stories? Just because they've been starters on a terrible team that does nothing but play its rookies and undrafted free agents? It's a self-fulfilling thing Hurney has going here. Since the only possible players that can start at these different positions are players Hurney drafted or signed as UFAs, *of course* they're going to start. No one else possibly can because no one else is on the team.

Read what I said. I said they were successes in that they contributed as 7th rounders. Look at 7th rounders for us and other teams, for every one who is a success, there are 5 that never see the field or don't even make the roster. Are they all pros?? Of course not, there is a reason they were picked 200th in the draft. And no they don't have to start. They might play somewhat in the rotation but rarely start.

It is fine to take pot shots as long as you give credit where it is due.

I know you're not seriously comparing Hurney to Bill Polian. Bill Polian built the '90s Buffalo Bills from the ground-up, built the original Carolina Panthers up from scratch where we had 9 Pro Bowlers in our second year of existence, and has presided over a team that's had the best record in football since he got there in the Colts. He's been Executive of the Year for *3* different teams.

.....And you really want to compare him to Marty Hurney?

For all you Hurney Haters:

Let's look at Bill Polian (who has won NFL executive of the year six times) and at his first round picks since taking Dallas Clark in 03

05- Marlin Jackson

06- Addai

07- Anthony Gonzalez

09- Donald Brown

10- Jerry Hughes

But wait those players teh suck.....your damn right they do because EVERY GM whiffs sometimes. You wanna know what Polian nailed though, Manning. Manning is one of the sole reasons the Colts have been competitive, don't believe me. Look at this year.

Cam is our Manning. We have Smith, two promising young receivers, a hell of a tight end in Olsen. Two Pro-Bowl caliber players on our line, with two solid guards. Granted a young, inexperienced defense, which is missing its captain and leader Jon Beason. A freak of nature linebacker in Thomas Davis, and a solid veteran nose tackle in Ron Edwards.

Guess who had a hand in all the aforementioned? We're a young team on the rise, with an absolute stud at the most important position.

So while I'm not saying Hurney is guaranteed a free-pass for life. Let's let him have a couple years with our first franchise qb ever and a new coaching staff.

So you ignore things like free agency, cap management, contract negotiations and overall draft record and instead pick out FIVE draft picks from Polian. Alrighty then

Hurney is a genius with the cap and most of his draft mistakes have come from players being injury plagued, not on the actual talent of the player. And yes he is too loyal to our own players but that's part of what's great about Carolina. That's part of why our players like it here. We protect our own and I like that aspect of our team. A lot of other teams are cold, cut, and dry and aren't successful either. I would pick him as my GM every time.

Hurney is a genius with the cap and most of his draft mistakes have come from players being injury plagued, not on the actual talent of the player. And yes he is too loyal to our own players but that's part of what's great about Carolina. That's part of why our players like it here. We protect our own and I like that aspect of our team. A lot of other teams are cold, cut, and dry and aren't successful either. I would pick him as my GM every time.

Wtf are you smoking?

Archived