• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inside the Numbers: Cam Newton - Week 6 (Video)

Tarheels23

What I see is this

Smith, Lafell, Naanee, Olsen as receivers is what we should do all the time in shotgun

Olsen/Shockey dont work in shotgun as receivers. They work when both lined up as TE and we play-action. Or when its just one or the other

Check down more. Those are like 5 yard gains most of the time

We surely have Naanee in the slot often

Hidden

He's starting to hold the ball way too long, also Bell looks absolutely awful providing pass protection.

Please make up ur minds..I'm getting whiplash trying to keep up with the back and forth criticism of this kid's play...He's holding the ball to long. He's releasing it to quickly...He's throwing off his back foot..He's running to much..he's not running enough...I know see why some of are coaches.:(

Speed.

I just seen us have 3 TE's lined up as WR, along with Smith and D.Will. Ended up incomplete, batted down

Who's idea was that? No Lafell, no Naanee. Then the next play we had them and Lafell got the 1st

People look confused when I said use Goodson? Use Pilares. Put speed on the field. Some plays it just seem like we're still experimenting

Bingo...U won the prize. No real consistancy at all.

It is good to have a QB that can run the ball when the opportunity presents. Anytime QB runs the ball, something is fuked up on the play, unless it is a QB design run which is pure stupidity (that on the coaches). Cam makes a lot of bad decisions. Cam has a BUNCH to learn. I hope he has those abilities as well.

Cam was too deliberate on that pass attempt to Smitty in the back of the end zone. Had he looked off Smitty that defender would've been less likely to have the reflex.

Cam is already so good, its gonna be a joy to watch this kid grow.

What tape are u watching? Give the Falcon's defense credit where it's due. They jumped on a slower moving Smithy. How was that Cam's fault.

From what I saw, after the ball was tip, Smithy stood there waiting for it to come to him. I don't even think he saw the other the defender for the Falcons running towards him cause he wasn't in a defense stance. The guy actually stepped infront of Smithy and caught the ball. It wasn't like he was there all along wrestling with Smithy for the ball. That one was on Smithy not Cam. Any other QB and the call would have been as such.

After watching a couple of videos-clips so far, it seem as if the Panthers offense are a bit out of sync at times. I know it seem like fun to blame Cam for every offensive mistake but, the truth is, the timing and lack of quickness seem to be the main problem with the offense. It seems the other teams' players are getting to Cam's balls faster than his offense and their reaction time seem sharper.

It is good to have a QB that can run the ball when the opportunity presents. Anytime QB runs the ball, something is fuked up on the play, unless it is a QB design run which is pure stupidity (that on the coaches). Cam makes a lot of bad decisions. Cam has a BUNCH to learn. I hope he has those abilities as well.

What was one of them? And how do u know the play was not designed for him to run? I could have sworn thar Rivera said they play on using many of Cam's talents. Yeah, Cam, if u don't see any men open hold unto the ball or throw it away instead of gaining some yards with ur legs. Sounds like a good decision making move to me.

And what do u mean u "hope he has those abilities to learn?" I'm sure his "learn abililities" are on par with the other intelligent QBs.. Some of u sound like u have nothing to add but always want to sound like u know what the heck ur talking about.

What was one of them? And how do u know the play was not designed for him to run? I could have sworn thar Rivera said they play on using many of Cam's talents. Yeah, Cam, if u don't see any men open hold unto the ball or throw it away instead of gaining some yards with ur legs. Sounds like a good decision making move to me.

And what do u mean u "hope he has those abilities to learn?" I'm sure his "learn abililities" are on par with the other intelligent QBs.. Some of u sound like u have nothing to add but always want to sound like u know what the heck ur talking about.

Many QBs come out of college with #s and a good arm they never are able to learn how to use in the NFL. I mean I hope Cam is not one of those. The most obvious three bad decisions this game = three pics = L. You want to defend Cam regardless of how well he is not doing is kind of like voting for a president for some other reason than him being a good leader. you go on thinking that Cam is as good as he can be. It's nice to hear an expert opinion though. I will consider these comments in the future while doing my armchair coaching. But I am not going to be dishonest for the sake of political correctness. Someboy got to keep it real. I already think Cam is somewhat better than Jake in his declining years. But if he keep on throwing pics I will change that.

Please clean up your English. People complain about mine, but my god! look at yours. It is very difficult to understand. When you say unto, am I to assume you mean onto?

Watching this offense in the second half and especially in the 4th quarter is a test of one's frustration limits.

Both of Cam's screen passes to DWill were absolute poo. The first one where he threw it over the top of his head, and the second where he threw it way short, behind both of our receivers. Easiest passes in the entire game. These screen passes have been a problem for him most of the year as have been side-line throws. I think they both have to do with adjusting from college to the NFL level. He's used to receivers only needing one foot in bound, and thus a wider field, and he also doesn't expect defenses to be making plays like that because he had a major height advantage against your typical college D. He still thinks he can just lob it all relaxed over defenses. Those lazy lobs have to fuging stop. They're too slow for the NFL.

This is also the reason our 2 minute offense sucks. I know what I am practicing if I'm Rivera and the QB coach. I'd spend an entire day on sideline throws, screen passes and 2 minute offense.

The first interception was close. Can't really blame him on that.

Many QBs come out of college with #s and a good arm they never are able to learn how to use in the NFL. I mean I hope Cam is not one of those. The most obvious three bad decisions this game = three pics = L. You want to defend Cam regardless of how well he is not doing is kind of like voting for a president for some other reason than him being a good leader. you go on thinking that Cam is as good as he can be. It's nice to hear an expert opinion though. I will consider these comments in the future while doing my armchair coaching. But I am not going to be dishonest for the sake of political correctness. Someboy got to keep it real. I already think Cam is somewhat better than Jake in his declining years. But if he keep on throwing pics I will change that.

Please clean up your English. People complain about mine, but my god! look at yours. It is very difficult to understand. When you say unto, am I to assume you mean onto?

I see u get ur College QB talking points straight from ur tv. Funny how that comment about college QBs with #s and big arm was used in such a negative way with Cam but not the Lucks, Blaines, and Sanfords..I guess they are special breed of QBs?

Also, here's hoping Cam can more follow in Peyton Mannings footsteps and not so much Jake's... Peyton threw 28 ints his rookie season and look where he's at today. His team winning record that season was 3-13.. Funny how no one really played up his interception ratio a lot when he was a rookie...

And yes, blame Cam's 3 int on the team losing and not the REAL reason. There's some honesty for u. By the way, did the defense stop the opposing team from scoring on any of those three ints like a defensive team is suppose too? And did Cam really commit those 2 ints or were they REALLY on the receivers? Maybe u should remove ur colored glassed before u answer TRUTHFULLY.

I see u get ur College QB talking points straight from ur tv. Funny how that comment about college QBs with #s and big arm was used in such a negative way with Cam but not the Lucks, Blaines, and Sanfords..I guess they are special breed of QBs?

Who is Luck,Blaines or Sanford? I only know Cam. You are looking for something in my comments that is not there. Cam would be the first to tell you that the reason we lost was his ints. If he is worth his salt. It is a team sport. Maybe the defense could have saved it. Thta goes for the rest of the team.

Thought this would be a good place to post this from Football Outsiders Quick Reads for Week 6:

The scary thing about Newton is how he can be a much better quarterback with some very slight improvements. He went 0-for-4 passing in the red zone against Atlanta, with two interceptions. For the season, he has -141 DYAR in the red zone. The only quarterback who has performed worse inside the 20 is Philip Rivers, of all people.

I think improvement with passes in the redzone come with experience. He'll get there folks. He's been so good so early that a lot of people are putting undue expectations on him.

What tape are u watching? Give the Falcon's defense credit where it's due. They jumped on a slower moving Smithy. How was that Cam's fault.

From what I saw, after the ball was tip, Smithy stood there waiting for it to come to him. I don't even think he saw the other the defender for the Falcons running towards him cause he wasn't in a defense stance. The guy actually stepped infront of Smithy and caught the ball. It wasn't like he was there all along wrestling with Smithy for the ball. That one was on Smithy not Cam. Any other QB and the call would have been as such.

After watching a couple of videos-clips so far, it seem as if the Panthers offense are a bit out of sync at times. I know it seem like fun to blame Cam for every offensive mistake but, the truth is, the timing and lack of quickness seem to be the main problem with the offense. It seems the other teams' players are getting to Cam's balls faster than his offense and their reaction time seem sharper.

what tape was i watching...? watch the replay again friend, I've looked at this play probably 20 times last night..

look at the defender looking at Cam

look at Cam lock eyes on the soon to be open Smith.

Watch the reflex of the defender as Cam winds up, he already know where the ball is going because Cam has been staring at something behind him for a full 3 or 4 seconds.

Its no huge knock on Cam, but this is why the pass was tipped. If Cam looks off the receiver its a touchdown. The kid is good, but he hasn't been flawless. Its no big deal man, he will get better, but you can't deny the film.

Archived