• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade a 4th/5th for Brandon Lloyd?

Fiz

He's only had one really good year, plus his age...

I'm reversing my earlier decision from for to opposed.

One good year considering the teams and QBs hes played with is actually kind of impressive. His QBs have been Alex Smith, 100 year old Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell and Kyle Orton (who hes been succesful with)

We've seen what a good QB can do for a WR with Cam and Smith this year. When Lloyd had an above average QB in his career he had a good year, when he had a bad QB he had a bad year. I think Lloyd could come in and be a very solid #2 here for a few years, while he likely won't put up the numbers he put up last year (we have too many weapons for him too) he can be a huge asset. I'd give up a 4th if he would sign an extension.

Trading a 5th because Hurney would just waste it is like for years not going #1 on a QB because Fox and Co couldn't develop one.

We did pretty well trading a 3rd for Olsen at tight end after investing 3 fifth rounders on King and Rosario. If we used your logic we would still be stuck with little to no production. Sometimes trading for a proven thing is better than to keep fishing for potential particularly in the middle rounds where success is far from assured.

As for a quarterback, keeping the number 1 overal draft pick to draft a quarterback is not the same thing at all. Using a fourth or fifth round pick to pick up a pro bowl potential receiver makes better sense than keeping the pick given how iffy things are once you get out of the first or second round. You think teams might wish they could trade a third or fourth rounder now for Steve Smith??

Per Rotoworld.com:

Long-time beat writer Darin Gantt is skeptical that the Panthers will pull the trigger on a trade for Brandon Lloyd.

As a 30-year-old, 10-week rental, Lloyd makes much more sense for a contender than the 1-4 Panthers. GM Marty Hurney does have a bad habit of sacrificing draft picks in trades, but Gantt suggests moving Brandon LaFell into the starting lineup would solve any need the Panthers have opposite Steve Smith.

I like Gantt as a reporter but as a talent evaluator he doesn't have a clue. Wasn't he the one touting Armanti Edwards as a great pickup??

One of the conversations we had on here a few days ago was about Green Bay being loaded at wide receiver so that even when guys went down they had guys who could step right in. Why put all the eggs in the LaFell basket. If you pick up LLoyd you have more insurance down the road if you get him to sign an extension and if Chud wants to go to more 4 wide sets you have the personnel to run it. Right now we really don't. Again who out there in the fourth round next year will be better than Lloyd?? The answer is no one.

His salary for 2011 is 1.4 million. On a 10 week rental that would cost us about 800,000. Seems to be money well spent. You could sign him for the next three years for very little guaranteed money and a very reasonable salary.

Let's say our 32 year old receiver goes down.

Naanee

LaFell

Armanti

TuTu

Pilareas

*shudders*

I really have no idea whether we should make this trade.

Big rebuilding picture thinking says no.

But, the part of me who has been wanting a #2 for Smitty for years says yes.

If we are going to pay big bucks for a receiver, we should just make a godfather offer to V-Jax.

Since I am certain he is wanting to get paid, then I say no.

Archived