• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade a 4th/5th for Brandon Lloyd?

Fiz

Per Rotoworld.com:

Long-time beat writer Darin Gantt is skeptical that the Panthers will pull the trigger on a trade for Brandon Lloyd.

As a 30-year-old, 10-week rental, Lloyd makes much more sense for a contender than the 1-4 Panthers. GM Marty Hurney does have a bad habit of sacrificing draft picks in trades, but Gantt suggests moving Brandon LaFell into the starting lineup would solve any need the Panthers have opposite Steve Smith.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Long-time beat writer Darin Gantt is skeptical that the Panthers will pull the trigger on a trade for Brandon Lloyd.

As a 30-year-old, 10-week rental, Lloyd makes much more sense for a contender than the 1-4 Panthers. GM Marty Hurney does have a bad habit of sacrificing draft picks in trades, but Gantt suggests moving Brandon LaFell into the starting lineup would solve any need the Panthers have opposite Steve Smith.

I miss Gantt covering the panthers

say what you will about him, the guy knew his poo, and unlike a bunch of other team reporters, he was about as objective as you can get regarding the Panthers so you knew he was speaking the truth about the team.

many people took that as negativity/shots at the team, but he was good at what he did

inb4 coolstorybro

Yeah, I have a very hard time believing Hurney would trade for Lloyd for just the rest of the season. Maybe if we can get him to agree to a 2-3 year extension at a reasonable rate he'd pull the trigger, but I'm doubting Lloyd takes that kind of deal.

I have a feeling he's looking for that big payday that he's never really gotten and if that's the case I can't picture him settling for a 2-3 year deal with little guaranteed money. Then again, our offense is wide open and he'd have to know he'd have a good chance to put up big numbers here, which could lead to that big money in a year or two.

He's certainly got a better shot at getting it playing with Cam in Chud's offense than with The Golden Calf of Bristol in John Fox's offense...

Per Rotoworld.com:

^^^ pretty much what I've been saying.

Good point Gantt brought up about being a 10 week rental and when you think about a new guy coming in, having to learn the playbook, get acclimated to a whole new team who knows how many games it would take before he'd make an impact. This isn't a perennial pro-bowler after all, it's a guy who had one good season his entire career.

oh and cool story kennypowers30

Yeah, I have a very hard time believing Hurney would trade for Lloyd for just the rest of the season. Maybe if we can get him to agree to a 2-3 year extension at a reasonable rate he'd pull the trigger, but I'm doubting Lloyd takes that kind of deal.

I have a feeling he's looking for that big payday that he's never really gotten and if that's the case I can't picture him settling for a 2-3 year deal with little guaranteed money. Then again, our offense is wide open and he'd have to know he'd have a good chance to put up big numbers here, which could lead to that big money in a year or two.

He's certainly got a better shot at getting it playing with Cam in Chud's offense than with The Golden Calf of Bristol in John Fox's offense...

Yeah this is his last real shot at a big time deal, why would he settle for a cheap deal when he can just wait a few months and then be a free agent. I just don't see much upside in giving up a pick + new contract to Lloyd rather than getting a free agent this offseason and keeping our picks. That's if you even want to invest more in the WR position rather than our other holes.

Per Rotoworld.com:

FFS why hasn't anyone on this coaching staff realized this yet?

You guys do know that you are basically saying fug the rest of the season? Not that anyone really believes that we'll do a damn thing this season with our holes on defense. But still...

It's not like we have to open up the bank for the guy this year. Even giving a pick, to me it seems like the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Just saying.

I assume there's a reason - probably that LaFell doesn't know the offense properly yet. Otherwise I have to believe they would've made the switch already.

Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but I just realized it: what about Mike Goodson? He's obviously the odd man out here; he isn't even doing kick returns anymore. He played well for Fox last year and all they have at RB now is McGahee and Moreno, who is terrible. Goodson could be a player we could package with a 5th or 6th rounder for Lloyd that would really help the Broncos out.

With The Golden Calf of Bristol as the starter, Fox is going to run it more than ever now and McGahee is getting older and doesn't need 35 carries a game; Goodson could help spell him as the #2 back and help offset the price of getting Lloyd for us.

You guys do know that you are basically saying fug the rest of the season? Not that anyone really believes that we'll do a damn thing this season with our holes on defense. But still...

It's not like we have to open up the bank for the guy this year. Even giving a pick, to me it seems like the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Just saying.

Yeah pretty much given up on this season. 1-4 with 4 conference losses, one division loss, only win is non-conference against a bad Jags team. We'd have to finish the rest of the season 9-2 maybe even 10-1 to make the playoffs.

If we were in the playoff hunt and only a #2 receiver away from a championship then this might make sense but we're not and WR isn't even our biggest need. We'll get Gettis back next year and this wouldn't even be an issue if they would just start LaFell.

Archived