• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inside the numbers: Cam Newton - Week 5

Tarheels23

Call was terrible.

Fly/Go route is one of the lowest percentage plays in football.

Should have linedup 4 wide

2 curls, 2 drags and have the rb go 2 yards for the checkdown.

then is EVERYTHING is covered Cam has the option to run for the 1st down.

No terrible call results in two receivers wide open in the middle of the field. Cam miscommunicated with one and didn't even look at the side the other was on.

Look at LaFell. DB's were ready for the short routes and the backers were ready for slow moving side to side routes.

Believe it or not Gregg Williams doesn't behave like the AI on Madden.

A run play would have been stuffed.

The call was great. Execution was poor.

What does a run play have to do with anything I posted?

When you make declarative statement like 'the call was great'.

You really only leave room for a counter position not a discussion.

I get the feeling you don't really want to discuss the actual play, but if you do....

I get that you like the call, but it was a low efficiency call with limited options.

A better call makes the execution easier, not harder.

No terrible call results in two receivers wide open in the middle of the field. Cam miscommunicated with one and didn't even look at the side the other was on.

Look at LaFell. DB's were ready for the short routes and the backers were ready for slow moving side to side routes.

Believe it or not Gregg Williams doesn't behave like the AI on Madden.

I disagree. Sure have one or two recievers go deep but also have 3 passing threats attacking the first down marker.

ONLY throw to the deep fly/go routes if they are WIDE open aka if somehow there is crazy separation between the wr and db. Go routes have the lowest completion % hands down!

It cost us the game. We get that first down and the game is over.

For years Panther fans have bitched and moaned about conservative play calling. That 3rd and 2 call was going for the jugular, something we've all wanted, and we whiffed. That's what happens when you're aggressive.

Given the situation I have no problems with what they tried. The humiliating drive from NO that followed lost the game.

@ 14:51 3rd and 2

Man, I wish Chudz didn't go for the kill shot here.

I understand the playcall, but I think its too aggressive a call to leave in the hands of a rookie QB in that situation.

It looked like a double move to Smith in man-to-man on an option route.

Of course Cam threw it to Smith but Cam threw it outside and Smith beat his man on the inside.

I wish they called a play with more high percentage options or a play that gave Cam the chance to run for the 1st.

Just keep the chains moving to keep that drive going.

But, hey what're you gonna do.

Chudz has been on point all season.

I guess we can assume that was a play call, but why can't we assume it wasn't an audible? What if it were a run play? Do you see how the d was stacked up? What if Cam saw the outside matchup and decided he liked that better?

You may be right, but you don't know for sure. Assumptions..... make an ass out of u and me

For years Panther fans have bitched and moaned about conservative play calling. That 3rd and 2 call was going for the jugular, something we've all wanted, and we whiffed. That's what happens when you're aggressive.

Given the situation I have no problems with what they tried. The humiliating drive from NO that followed lost the game.

^this

are we all forgetting that Cam threw one of the worst passes by a starting QB in the history of the NFL?

I guess we can assume that was a play call
I'm not assuming I know the playcall I'm stating what I saw:

@ 14:51 3rd and 2..........It looked like a double move to Smith in man-to-man on an option route....
No where do I make a claim that I know the playcall.

but why can't we assume it wasn't an audible?

What if it were a run play?

We can't, but there are several reason why its unlikely, if you care to discuss.

Do you see how the d was stacked up?
Yes, I can see the defense, shout out to Tarheels23.

What if Cam saw the outside matchup and decided he liked that better

What if the above^^?

It would be a low efficiency high degree of difficulty choice to throw a go route on 3rd and 2.

Especially considering the offense should have been in "4 minute" offense mode, i.e. long time consuming scoring drive play keep away from a potent offense type drive.

You may be right, but you don't know for sure. Assumptions..... make an ass out of u and me

What does falsely assuming that someone was making an assumption make?

Other than a run play, I wish we would've ran the Texas route to Olsen out the backfield, which has worked many times already.

If not the Texas, then the counter route to the Texas that we ran on the very last TD in the Bears game were Olsen comes out the backfield faking the Texas route, and cutting it out at the last minute.

Other than a run play, I wish we would've ran the Texas route to Olsen out the backfield, which has worked many times already.

If not the Texas, then the counter route to the Texas that we ran on the very last TD in the Bears game were Olsen comes out the backfield faking the Texas route, and cutting it out at the last minute.

I hate to second guess, because I already know what the defense is doing post-snap.

But, trying hard not to let knowledge of the Saints post snap defense:

I would want shorter, higher percentage routes.

Certainly get enough yardage to make the 1st down but don't increase the degree of difficulty with downfield routes.

Keeping that same formation and keeping Smith's 1-on-1 iso as the 1st progression/primary read I would want a higher percentage route like a slant, hitch, 3-5 yard square in or short fade stop.

I wouldn't mind seeing some quick run action not a full play-action but a quick fake then a quick up and down throw to Smitty.

On the backside of the play I would have Nanee + LaFell run sometime type of man to man beater.

Nanee could run a quick double move route like an out-(to rub Lafell's defender) then an inside drag.

LaFell could run an inside slant that converts to a crossing route.

But, ideally I would like to see Cam in shotgun empty.

It makes for easier more defined reads on the defense.

I would go with a similar play/route concept as the Olsen TD pass.

The receivers would run hitches/slant, quick out/in.

They would treat the 1st down line like the goaline.

Then if nothing was open Cam could tuck and run and juke/truck someone.

Archived