• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Great analysis and preview of this Sunday's game

Razzy

The Saints are 3-1 but it’s the 1-3 Panthers creating most of the chatter. Or, Cam Newton creating the chatter. Through a quarter of his rookie season, the No. 1 overall pick is, in a word, sensational. But obviously not perfect. The Panthers are still dwelling in the basement of the NFC South.

Here’s a comprehensive look at Newton and his club as they head into their first divisional showdown of the season.

1. How good is he, really?

Through four games, Newton has far exceeded all expectations. Remarkably, this includes expectations about his physical talents. We knew the 6’5”, 245-pound Auburn Tiger was an athletic monster, but rarely are quarterbacks still athletic monsters once they reach the NFL. Newton has been a productive runner, both with power and speed.

He’s a poor man’s Vick when it comes to eluding tacklers and a poor man’s Roethlisberger when it comes to shedding them. That’s a rich combination considering no other quarterback truly exhibits any of these traits (save for maybe Josh Freeman shedding defenders).

Most impressive, however, is that Newton has not leaned on his athleticism. Operating almost exclusively out of shotguns, he’s been a willing and poised statuesque passer who willingly works through his progressions from the pocket. His decisions are usually capped off by a bullet either downfield, outside the numbers (he has the uncanny arm strength to stretch the field both horizontally and vertically) or, if need be, underneath.

For the most part, Newton’s decisions have been good. He has faced an aggressive blitzing defense in Arizona, a classic 3-4 press defense in Green Bay (playing without Tramon Williams, the Packers kept Charles Woodson outside and blitzed far less often than usual that game) and, most recently, a classic Cover 2 defense in Chicago. He posted a legit 370-plus yards passing against all three of them.

The proof that it’s not all daisies and roses is that Newton also threw crucial interceptions in all three games and came away with a loss. He’s still a rookie and still prone to the occasional blunder. The blunders have been far less frequent than anyone expected, but they’ve been costly nevertheless....

Continued...

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32522247

I wasn't aware CBS or any major media network was capable of producing good articles. Though a bit Saints biased.

He’s a poor man’s Vick when it comes to eluding tacklers and a poor man’s Roethlisberger when it comes to shedding them.

I get the poor man's Vick, obviously he isn't as quick/fast as Vick.. but he's a rich man's Rothlisberger, he's faster, MUCH more mobile/quicker, and from what I've seen has an incredible knack to always make the 1st and 2nd defender miss..

Continued...

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32522247

I wasn't aware CBS or any major media network was capable of producing good articles. Though a bit Saints biased.

What I always find so funny when it comes to the Cam Newton/ Panthers write-up vs. other QBs write-ups is, Cam seem to be expected to carry the Panthers into the winning circle by himself. While with the other QBs, especially the rookies, it's their team who is expected to make them shine...

When it comes to CBS, and Cam, it depends on who is writing the article.

What I always find so funny when it comes to the Cam Newton/ Panthers write-up vs. other QBs write-ups is, Cam seem to be expected to carry the Panthers into the winning circle by himself. While with the other QBs, especially the rookies, it's their team who is expected to make them shine...

When it comes to CBS, and Cam, it depends on who is writing the article.

Maybe it's because you spend all of your energy looking for things to complain about in terms of how Newton is covered by the media.

If you would open your eyes you would realize that everyone is praising him in nearly every possible way.

I get the poor man's Vick, obviously he isn't as quick/fast as Vick.. but he's a rich man's Rothlisberger, he's faster, MUCH more mobile/quicker, and from what I've seen has an incredible knack to always make the 1st and 2nd defender miss..

That's not what shedding defenders means though. Cam hasn't shown himself as hard to bring down as Ben. Ben takes a lot of sacks because he's a dumb animal and holds onto the ball too long, but when you do try to sack him you can't just get a hand on him.

It's funny how some people can't handle other quarterbacks being praised for what they're good at. Combining the best of Roethlesberger and Vick? Hell, I'll take that in a heartbeat, even at 80-90% of them.

All he needs to do now is learn to win, and that will come.

Archived