• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton vs Andrew Luck - Now who would you choose?

Tarheels23

I also have to get this off my chest about Peyton and Leaf. There may have been some people in the media that thought Ryan Leaf was going to be better than Peyton Manning. Those people were either dumb, contrarians, or just drumming up a media fueled debate.

Anyone with half a brain could see that Manning had the arm, accuracy, intelligence, pedigree, and leadership to be the next great QB. Ryan Leaf just had a strong arm.

It wasn't as close as people make it out to be today. Manning was clearly the best QB before, during, and after that draft. Anyone who said otherwise was just trying to fuel a media created debate.

ok...this is going around in circles.

i've lost interest.

it's been .gif bomb approved so....

Nice.

LoL, you 'gif bomb' a thread where; you as evidenced below just recently had interest enough to ask a question in it.

How do you spell hypocrite?

hmmm....i htnk that is half, if not most of the stuff that makes a guy translate into a good pro QB.

what kind of physical stuff are you looking at that makes him a good prospect or not?

If you don't like that people are talking football or its over your head, don't hate.

But don't ruin it for the people having a good discussion.

BTW-Thanks for having the courtesy to reply to my post like I had the courtesy to respond to yours.

-Cheers

So I am going to add some football talk but am too stupid to successfully upload a GIF.

Ed,

Physical skills without the mental aspects result in a Vince Young, plain and simple. If Cam had not had the mental skills and work ethic when Rivera and Hurney researched him, he would not have been our choice. There were other guys out there who had the physical skills and the mental skills and could have been our first round choice.

What Newton possessed which made him a no brainer for us was the most physical upside of any quarterback plus great mental aspects and a fantastic work ethic.

But I am convinced that if some of the negatives had been there regarding character, leadership, sincerity, etc. we wouldn't have picked him despite the physical skills. So no I disagree that physical skills trump all else. In fact at the quarterback position I would say physical skills are third or fourth on the list of priorities.

Physical skills without the mental aspects result in a Vince Young, plain and simple
Well this is a different story.

For several reasons, Vince is not a cut and dry failure.

If Cam had not had the mental skills and work ethic when Rivera and Hurney researched him, he would not have been our choice. There were other guys out there who had the physical skills and the mental skills and could have been our first round choice.
Right, I don't disagree with this.

What Newton possessed which made him a no brainer for us was the most physical upside of any quarterback plus great mental aspects and a fantastic work ethic.
I don't disagree with this either.

But I am convinced that if some of the negatives had been there regarding character, leadership, sincerity, etc. we wouldn't have picked him despite the physical skills. So no I disagree that physical skills trump all else. In fact at the quarterback position I would say physical skills are third or fourth on the list of priorities.
I don't disagree with any of this, and I thought I made that clear already?

My point is simple: because we (me and you) as layman cannot meet with the prospects to figure out there mental traits and intangibles we are not at a vantage point to assess those factors.

Thus physical skillset becomes (defacto) most important.

To be clear I'm not saying and have never said that intangibles and mental traits aren't important.

I think the intangibles are very important, but from my vantage point they're unknowable.We don't get to meet the prospects or talk to them in person; we can only rely on hersey, which I'm not a big fan of.

If a prospect has a better physical skillset then for me they're the better prospect.

Archived