• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Break It Down: Cam Newton’s interceptions

Tarheels23

just my take

1st pass shouldve went to shockey underneath

2nd pass had to be spot on because smith was open for a split second and then woodson was baiting him the rest.

3rd was a high pass. naanee couldve jumped higher but it was just too high. steve smith absolutely burnt his man and was wide open and jstew pitched a tent and had all the room in the world.

just my take

2nd pass had to be spot on because smith was open for a split second and then woodson was baiting him the rest.

3rd was a high pass. naanee couldve jumped higher but it was just too high. "steve smith absolutely burnt his man and was wide open" and jstew pitched a tent and had all the room in the world.

But the defenders were closing in on him.

Sorry I couldn't help myself:)

PS: You won't get it if you were not present for last week's conversation. It's a joke. This is for the lurkers in hiding.

just my take

3rd was a high pass. naanee couldve jumped higher but it was just too high. steve smith absolutely burnt his man and was wide open and jstew pitched a tent and had all the room in the world.

Naanee jumped fairly high, but his body looked so spastic in the air it was ridiculous.

Those are rookie INTs, not to worried in that aspect. However, like it was mentioned on Sunday. Cam needs to run when he has green and nobody open.

Somehow he's been installed with bombing it 15+ yards a play, and not playing with what the D is giving him.

I have to disagree with those two statements. The first int is the only one I would consider a rookie mistake. The others were due to pressure, which is bound to happen.

Before the Packers game I may have agreed with the last statement, but Cam had over 100 passing yards to our Running Backs against Greenbay, so I don't think taking what the D gives him is an issue.

On the last INT, when Cam can't finish on the pass, this is what causes the ball to sail high.

Yeah he is the QB so it is his fault, but the pressure caused the bad throw, it wasn't just a simple poor pass.

Didn't really look to me like it affected his motion, but I can see it as a valid judgment.

Credit him for standing in there in the face of the rush. In previous throws, I've seen him backpedal from pressure that was nowhere near as close to him as that was. That's a sign of improvement.

Didn't really look to me like it affected his motion, but I can see it as a valid judgment.

Credit him for standing in there in the face of the rush. In previous throws, I've seen him backpedal from pressure that was nowhere near as close to him as that was. That's a sign of improvement.

Well, I can't tell for certain, but this is just the way I saw it.

It doesn't blatantly affect his arm or or the hand, but he couldn't step into the throw which causes it to sail. He has two passes like this in the Bengals preseason game.

Either way, Cam is improving, and if he can continue to improve, we may have "lucked" up in one of the great Qbs.

Well, I can't tell for certain, but this is just the way I saw it.

It doesn't blatantly affect his arm or or the hand, but he couldn't step into the throw which causes it to sail. He has two passes like this in the Bengals preseason game.

Either way, Cam is improving, and if he can continue to improve, we may have "lucked" up in one of the great Qbs.

What's that old saying? "The harder I work, the luckier I get" :lol:

Here's my take:

INT 1- Playaction vs Zone(man/zone)

I thought this was a poor decision because he was impatient and greedy.

He tried to force a pass to Smitty when Shockey(?) was coming open if Cam just waited a tick for him to cross #55 face.

INT 2-Empty vs Man

Pre-snap Cam should know he was man-to-man across the board.

I have one gripe about the play design before I get into the breakdown:

DeAngelo runs a half-assed fade/go route it looks like he's just running to clear space for the underneath routes.

But, if I was Cam I would like the match-up of DeAngelo against AJ Hawk and would have liked to see DeAngelo have some type of route: slant, hitch, comeback.

Anyway pre-snap he has Woodson matched up man-to-man with Smitty.

I respect that Cam would want to go to his guy in man-to-man but I think Olsen on #55 (Bishop?) is the better match-up and Olsen beats #55 on an out route to the moving from the ®ightside of the formation to the (L)eft towards the sideline.

The choice to throw to Smitty isn't as bad as everything else (Smitty actually gets open early on a hitch which he converts into a drag/shallow crosser) but the decision is ruined by being late on the throw and throwing an off balance jump pass, and behind Smitty didn't help.

Also, the back door is wide open if Cam wanted to extend the play/scramble.

INT 3-Cover 2 Man Under 3rd and 10

The defense pretty much has everything covered pretty good.

Cam tried to force a ball into a small window and the pass sailed on him.

I also think that Naanee misjudged/misplayed the pass something awful.

He comes out of his stutter move and sees the ball coming, and breaks inside (off the numbers towards the hash) where he tries to jump for the ball.

Naanee should have stayed on the numbers kept running for maybe 2 steps then jumped for the ball.

Either way though the defense won.

I wouldn't mind see Cam extend the play or challenge the defense with his legs here.

Or take the safe play is to check it down to the RB or throw it away.

Personally in the grand scheme of developing Cam long term I don't mind that he attempted that throw.

Fred Davis made a bigtime catch last week on an over thrown seam route.

2 simple points:

1. Even tho we all love that Cam & Smitty have great chemistry, Cam cannot force throws to to him, b/c the D will be playing him with help most of the time.

2. Cam need to stop worrying about being considered a running Qb, b/c on 2 out of the 3 INTs he could have bought time or made some significant yardage with his feet. You are a stud Cam...don't hate on yourself! :-)

Cam will be fine. He is so fun to watch & will be a top passer in the league for years to come...when have we ever been able to say that about a young QB in Carolina?! Go Panthers!

number 3 was not that bad a throw, look at how high naanee jumped. he had gotten even a foot off the ground thats a catch. sure it wasnt on the numbers, but he had to thread that in over the guy naanee beat.

number 2 and 1 would not have been picks if he overthrew them further outside.

Archived