• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Break It Down: Cam Newton’s interceptions

Tarheels23

The second INT, I think Cam was getting a little greedy and was looking for a big play. It seemed that Smitty had CW beat on single coverage, and Cam waited for something bigger to open up. He then felt the pressure and forced a nearly impossible pass. However, he could have not had a clear throwing lane when Smitty was initially open, but I think it was Cam trying to make a big play.

The 3rd INT was definitely a product of the pressure physically affecting the accuracy.

I really dont have much of a problem with this, I believe in the future he wil take a quick step back then throw, or just break out of the pocket. But, there is no doubt that the pressure affected the timing of the throw, as well as, Cam's arm.

The first was just trying to do too much, trying to feed Smitty. The 2nd was more of the same, but he thought maybe he could float it over Smitty's shoulder. Little did he know, Charles Woodson is too good for that poo. The 3rd was PARTIALLY due to the bull rush, which threw off his release a bit (at least, in comparison to how his good throws look). It was a little too high, it got picked. Those things happen to most, if not every QB, at least once a year (even Peyton and Tom).

The best thing about these picks...they happened. All are fixable. All are minor. Seeing it on film and being able to sit down with Cam, from a coach's perspective, is a good thing. They get to show him how NOT to be a QB in the NFL (since most of the Arizona film was How To Be A Successful NFL QB 101).

First pass is just a poor decision, though Woodson may have baited him some. That'll happen with rookie quarterbacks and veteran corners.

On the second, Steve Mariucci pointed out that he takes his eyes off the downfield receivers and looks at the oncoming pass rush a split second before making the pass, resulting in an off target throw. Rookie mistake. Not a bad decision though as Smith had a step on Woodson. Had the ball been thrown in front of him rather than behind, that's a catch and run.

Number three? Good decision, open receiver, and his eyes are in the right spot. It's just a poorly thrown pass.

Again, he's a rookie, so none of these things are especially shocking. Mistakes are gonna happen. The idea is to minimize them over time.

The first two were meh. But that third one got me fired up. Naane sucks and lafell appeared to be open

I get the Naanee hate....but what's that got to do with it? Naanee was seriously overthrown on that play. The first two were just bad decisions into coverage.

It had nothing to do with Naanee sucking. And neither does Lafell being open. And Cam chose to throw to Naanee. Naanee didn't blackmail him into it.

Just a bad throw by Cam.

Yes but this goes back to that other conversation we were having last week, doesn't it?

Cam NEEDS to be more aware and read the field! Glad you finally came around.:D

Look at the video, that play had nothing to do with the read. It fact, it was the right read. Again if you go back and look, you'll see Wharton getting pushed dead into Cam while he's throwing.

Those are rookie INTs, not to worried in that aspect. However, like it was mentioned on Sunday. Cam needs to run when he has green and nobody open.

Somehow he's been installed with bombing it 15+ yards a play, and not playing with what the D is giving him.

Look at the video, that play had nothing to do with the read. It fact, it was the right read. Again if you go back and look, you'll see Wharton getting pushed dead into Cam while he's throwing.

That may be but Naanee was still a bad decision on that play. There were better options. To me that makes it a bad read. He had 2-3 defenders between him and the ball....and unlike last week when Cam didn't throw to him....this time there was one right next to him. And just like last week, there was someone that was open at the time of release, if he would just looked left.

Like I said, rookie mistakes.....they will be cleaned up. I expect better than this though next week. I think he was sloppier this week with his throws than the first week. Coaches need to reign him back a bit.

But I am starting to think Cam's racist towards left;)

Archived