• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cutler Formally Requests Trade

dham278

Right, except it's a completely different situation and talent levels are completely different.
At the time of the signing, everyone thought Carr was the QB of the future. All of his issues were blamed on the team he was from, he was young, and he had physical skills that Jake lacked--notably his accuracy.

Yes, his physical skills were different, but this is yet another case of the grass being greener. I think Cutler would be an improvement over Jake, but not to the extent that he would guarantee a Super Bowl. Cutler's rating is only 1.3 points higher than Jakes, and if you get into the numbers you find that Jake is much better in the last two minutes of the half and gets a lot better as the game goes on, while Cutler starts out on fire and gets worse as the game progresses (check their situational stats).

I think Cutler's a fine QB, and if they traded Delhomme for him I wouldn't throw away my tickets in disgust, but I wouldn't be anticipating a playoff spot either. For our team this year, the offense is set. We need players on the defensive line and in the secondary. That's why these threads on Cutler and Holt just make for fantasy football type discussion--neither will be a Panther next year and our team will be the better for it.

You may compare his rating to Jakes, however you must remember that Cutler had no running back help for much of the season, he WAS the only offense on his team, obviously he'd have more int's than usual. No one said we'd be guaranteed a super bowl. There's something nice about not having to worry about your QB year in and year out, like we have for years.

wonder if Denver wants draft picks, the Lions would be stupid not to trade the #1 pick for Cutler.

I think they probably don't want a rookie QB though and would rather deal for players if forced to. the fans will go nuts if because of this they suck out loud b/c rebuilding.

If you can get a stud QB for the next Decade plus, you do it. Too rare a commodity.

Just make sure he doesn't have any off field Drug problems like Kerry Collins did

You may compare his rating to Jakes, however you must remember that Cutler had no running back help for much of the season, he WAS the only offense on his team, obviously he'd have more int's than usual. No one said we'd be guaranteed a super bowl. There's something nice about not having to worry about your QB year in and year out, like we have for years.
his stats were also inflated because of the lack of running game. you put him in a situation like carolina with an incredible run game and you will see production drop in either his stats or williams/stewart.

W/L ratio wouldn't be that much effected, though.

btw...cutler wouldn't have done much better against the cardinals...the dude isn't exactly an oak brimming with real confidence. only problem is he would have thrown the team under the bus instead of taking responsibility.

we do need to be concerned with getting an eventual replacement for jake but cutler and his whiney butt isn't the answer. this whole episode lets me know that he has no where near the maturity needed to be a leader on this team. if you don't think that is important you are far more delusional than these jake jock sniffers you are complaining about.

Yes, he had little running back help, but that just translates to more attempts. The whole purpose of a rating is to try and even out differing QBs performances. Cutler throws more, he's a little more accurate, he makes shorter completions, he takes fewer sacks, and he wins fewer games. When you adjust the stats into a rating, he is marginally better than Jake, that's all. The big advantage he has in my eyes is his age. But that's irrelevant--read the last paragraph of my last post again. We don't need him and it won't happen.

this is a fan response from Yaz's ESPN blog, thought it was pretty interesting;

wesloucks41 (3/16/2009 at 9:35 AM) Report Violation

Wow. Let me say as a Panther fan that #1- any Panther "fan" who wants Jay Cutler, you seriously need to be quiet. #2-as a Panther fan PLEASE TAMPA BAY PICK UP JAY CUTLER!!

"He's the next Bret Favre." Good for him. 1 Superbowl in 20 years. That's just TERRIFIC.

Take a way past his prime Favre out of the league last year and who lead the league in picks? Oh. Cutler.

Who played in what was one of, if not THE, worst NFL division in decades? Jay Cutler. Who went 8-8 and missed the playoffs in said division?? Jay Cutler.

In the last 8 games last season, the Carolina Panthers defense yielded 30+ points in every single game but one. Which one was that? Oh. The one against Jay Cutler's Denver Broncos.

Yeah, him straight up for the BEST defensive player the last 6 years (which YES Peppers is, and there isn't a close second. A lot of 300 lbs defensive ends can cover wide receivers 20 yards downfield.) Sounds like a hell of a deal.

Tampa is better off with McCown of picking someone up through the draft. Good to see the worst division "reporter" is jumping on the band wagon, too.

Yes, he had little running back help, but that just translates to more attempts. The whole purpose of a rating is to try and even out differing QBs performances. Cutler throws more, he's a little more accurate, he makes shorter completions, he takes fewer sacks, and he wins fewer games. When you adjust the stats into a rating, he is marginally better than Jake, that's all. The big advantage he has in my eyes is his age. But that's irrelevant--read the last paragraph of my last post again. We don't need him and it won't happen.

more attempts yes, but the Defense knew he was passing most of the time too. Not so with Jake, and imagine Jake's numbers without Smith to bail him out!

In our offense, he's Arm combined with Smith/Moose/Jarret or playing against the run with our OL and Stewart/Williams would give Defenses absolute nightmares.

They would have to basically guess pass/run and hope they picked right play.

You can bold your text and underline all you want, but it doesn't matter, fact is Jake is old, he's almost done, and we can't develop QB's at all. He may not be a leader like Jake right now, but you have to take your chances sometimes. If we were a team that actual builds QB's up I could agree with you guys on passing on him.

And no, not having a running game does NOT inflate his numbers always, the fact that the defense knows he's going to pass almost every time is not that advantageous to a QB.

Archived