• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On the eve of yet another, here are the five biggest disappointments in team history

Fiz

2 biggest things is on our side going into this game tomorrow. 1. Is Cam Newton. 2. Is Home field and home crowd.;)

...and the two biggest things going against Carolina today:

1. Cam Newton, rookie QB going against a top 3 NFL defense and

2. "Home crowd"... are you serious? At least 30% of the stadium will be the traveling road show of Green Bay fans and the bandwagoners.

Carolina will lose this game by at least 14 and possibly more than 20.

I recall the 2005 season. Panthers had a pretty good camp. Delhomme was in the prime of his career. Then we lost to the Saints at home on opening day and looked awful doing it. Everybody took it as a sign that we would suck. Then, the very next game was against the 2 time Superbowl champ New England Patriots. Everyone said that the defensive backfield was shot and that the Pats would destroy us. What happened?

Panthers actually made some adjustments in coverage from the Saints game. We had Peppers and Rucker I believe, so our pass rush was strong (obviously we are not at the same level at DL today). We dominated the Patriots and won a good game and looked great doing it.

This game reminds me of that Pats game in the way that nobody is giving us a chance. That 2005 team could score points through the air and so can this 2011 team. I realize the Packers are loads more talented and better coached, so there are many differences...but I think we have a puncher's chance if we win or neutralize the turnover battle and shore up the pass D (even a minor improvement like only 1 play of 50 yds or more for a TD would still be an improvement).

It really comes down to our ability to run the ball and chew up the clock. DOn't expect to win, but I'm a little tired of hearing about how we will just get squashed. DOn't forget, we do have the home crowd.

This board's problem is, under Fox, we have grown to expect the worst of everything.

We expect the worst and make excuses before the team every steps on the field.

Unfortunately, we have gotten good at it.

Today, is the home opener. Let's hope the team represents themselves and their city to the best of their ability.

We have a new coach, a young and promising QB and we all know this is a 2-3 year propositon to rebuild what has long been neglected.

I'll be at the game today, and damned happy to be there.

I remember Seattle being considered the most difficult place to play in the NFL that year, and a lot of noise was being made about their defense. The Panthers were banged up as well, and I think that outside of Charlotte most people were thinking that the Seahawks would win. Back then we still believed in Jake's ability to lift a team in the important games, which probably lives in your memory a little too much.

And today won't be a disappointment for anyone who hasn't put the team on a pedestal. After watching the Packers in week one, I'll be excited to actually make them punt once or twice today. Not counting on that either. And Capers has had 10 days to prepare for Chud's offense. I'm not counting on moving the ball much either.

The only people who are going to be horribly disappointed are those who had unreasonable expectations to begin with. And they'll probably grow out of it in time. :)

I recall the 2005 season. Panthers had a pretty good camp. Delhomme was in the prime of his career. Then we lost to the Saints at home on opening day and looked awful doing it. Everybody took it as a sign that we would suck. Then, the very next game was against the 2 time Superbowl champ New England Patriots. Everyone said that the defensive backfield was shot and that the Pats would destroy us. What happened?

Panthers actually made some adjustments in coverage from the Saints game. We had Peppers and Rucker I believe, so our pass rush was strong (obviously we are not at the same level at DL today). We dominated the Patriots and won a good game and looked great doing it.

This game reminds me of that Pats game in the way that nobody is giving us a chance. That 2005 team could score points through the air and so can this 2011 team. I realize the Packers are loads more talented and better coached, so there are many differences...but I think we have a puncher's chance if we win or neutralize the turnover battle and shore up the pass D (even a minor improvement like only 1 play of 50 yds or more for a TD would still be an improvement).

It really comes down to our ability to run the ball and chew up the clock. DOn't expect to win, but I'm a little tired of hearing about how we will just get squashed. DOn't forget, we do have the home crowd.

That 2005 playoff game is where the RB by committee strategy was born. Hur/Fox never wanted to be in that position again so we spent numerous high draft picks to keep a stable of running backs. Fox was severed from personnel decisions after the Arizona playoff game and Hurney has continued the philosophy.

I remember Seattle being considered the most difficult place to play in the NFL that year, and a lot of noise was being made about their defense. The Panthers were banged up as well, and I think that outside of Charlotte most people were thinking that the Seahawks would win. Back then we still believed in Jake's ability to lift a team in the important games, which probably lives in your memory a little too much.

I remember Stephen Davis being put on IR for a minor injury, and he stood on the sidelines as we had no offense. John Fox was an idiot.

Archived