• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should take lesson from Saints

Tarheels23

I agree! We win the AZ game if we don't blitz on those 3rd down plays. CJ and Hardy, seem to be getting good pressure on their own. I personally think a cover 2 fits us best because we have athletic LB's. Kind of like the Bears!

FYI - I have no problem with the run blitzes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/25069/panthers-should-take-lesson-from-saints

NFC South teams don’t share trade secrets, but we do. The Carolina Panthers might want to take a lesson from the New Orleans Saints when they host the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.

The Saints had a very tough time stopping Aaron Rodgers in the season opener and the Packers scored 42 points. Rodgers thrived particularly when facing the blitz.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Rodgers completed 18 of 22 passes (81.8 percent) when the Saints rushed five or more defenders. Rodgers produced a league-best 11 first downs on passes against the blitz. He averaged 10.5 yards per attempt in those situations and threw two touchdowns.

The Panthers didn’t have a lot of success with the blitz against Arizona’s Kevin Kolb in their opener. Kolb averaged 17.8 yards per attempt against the blitz and threw two touchdown passes.

Although conventional wisdom says you usually want to put as much pressure on a quarterback as possible, the Panthers might want to rethink that one with Rodgers. With defensive ends Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy, the Panthers should be able to generate some sort of pass rush from their front four.

Instead of bringing linebackers or defensive backs on blitzes, the Panthers might be better off keeping them back in coverage.

well it is pretty obvious blitzing got the Saints into the hole.

force GB to run more and play coverage. They will take the run. You really have to limit your gambling.

Exactly! That's how the Jet's beat the Patriots in the playoffs last year. They lined up as if they were blitzing, but 9 times out of ten, they only sent 3 and sometimes 2.

I would much rather him run than pass. And if he starts taking off every other time we can spy him.

I remember when Vick played for the Falcons, we always had TD spy him and then light him us when he ran. If TD can keep Vick in check on the scrambling I'm sure he can keep Aaron Rodgers in check.....(granted that was before TD had two ACL surgeries)

Archived