• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

He's back

neverlosethefeeling

Enjoy.

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Steve Smith is back.

The attitude. The big plays. Even the touchdown dances.

Smith said when he reported to training camp on July 29 with the Carolina Panthers – something many thought would never happen -- that he wanted to have some fun.

On Sunday he did just that.

On the eve of the season opener against the Arizona Cardinals, Smith addressed his teammates a players-only meeting at the team hotel and talked about the importance of leaving it all on the table.

Then he went out and walked the walk on Sunday.

Smith, now in his 11th season, caught eight passes for 178 yards, including touchdowns of 77 yards and 26 yards from his new favorite quarterback Cam Newton.

To put Smith’s numbers in perspective, he only scored two touchdowns all of last season with Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen at the helm and Jeff Davidson calling the plays. It was the fourth-highest regular season receiving total of Smith's illustrious career.

Smith believes many wrote him off as being done.

“Nobody wants to admit it but there were a lot of articles being written that I’ve lost a step and he’s 32 and all of that stuff,” Smith said. “If you Google it, it’s out there. I’m disgruntled and this and that.

“And like I’ve been saying all of camp and all of the lockout, I want to have fun. Wherever I go and wherever I am, I’m going to have fun. So haters need to get a new hobby because I’m not on the list anymore.”

Smith said he's excited to play in this offense because it offers so many different players a chance to make plays.

“In this offense there are going to be times when I’m the focal point and times when I have to occupy the safety,” Smith said. “And that’s fine with me. Other guys were getting involved and that’s fun.”

Read the rest:http://carolinagrowl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1042:hes-back-panthers-get-smith-involved-and-he-responds-in-a-big-way&catid=1:articles

Article by Reed

Who woulda thought we'd have the #1 QB in passing yds and #1 WR in receiving yds after game 1, especially with a new staff and offense?

Smith didn't lose anything except a QB that could deliver the ball. Since that's no longer a problem, I see him returning to the Pro Bowl.

Archived