• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

re: what woooed Rivera to Cam article

grateflday

Well, let me qualify that statement.I love his spirit, his character, so far, his work ethic and his attitude. I thought all ofthose could be a problem back in March and early April.

Why? What proof did u have that he didn't have good work eithics and his attitude wasn't good outside of the stigmatic attachment to other black QBs he was continually grouped with for no reason other than the superficial?

You know what? I may be just as wrong as anyone has every been about this young man, but despite the dire pre-draft warnings about him, I have to say I have been consistently impressed with the guy. Newton may end up being a dud, a crook, or whatever, but for now at least I can say I am eager to take a ride on the Cam train. I think there is ample evidence that he has the character to lead this team and be deserving of that role. So I say let's get it on!

While he hasn't played a real game yet he continues to make me eat my predraft words.
Well, let me qualify that statement. I love his spirit, his character, so far, his work ethic and his attitude. I thought all of those could be a problem back in March and early April.
yeah, people are just now seeing the things that got me on his bandwagon. sure, the flashiness impressed me as well as him just flat out being talented and athletic, but it was the intangibles that really sold me on him.

i went looking for discussions on his skills as a leader, wanting to find out what people who worked with him and really investigated this kid rather than just throwing out blanket "the dude's a fake" and pointing to his very publicized mistakes. i was fully impressed by what i saw. there was more than i was expecting from any player (kid) coming out of college. if i can find the stuff, i may repost it.

Why? What proof did u have that he didn't have good work eithics and his attitude wasn't good outside of the stigmatic attachment to other black QBs he was continually grouped with for no reason other than the superficial?
it's old and very played out arguments that people are starting to move away from. not worth bringing it up. i will say i fully understand why people felt the way they did and very little of it had anything to do with race. the kid made a lot of mistakes early on and there was plenty of controversy surrounding him. with so much press pointing to him being a problem off the field (granted it was all pretty ill informed) it's easy for people to believe that he might have a lot of issues coming in.

best to move on from that discussion.

well one writer did a pretty good slander job on Cam and lots ran with it.

the guy basically took Cam's positives and claimed they were areas of concern......if on the internet there are always people willing to run with things if read about.

lots of good stuff in that article.

this caught my eye more than anything else, though...

And Rivera was curious to know how fast Newton would take to a new playbook. The Panthers’ coaches had talked to Newton’s previous coaches both at Blinn (Texas) College and at Auburn, asking how best he learned. They said Newton needed to be on the field as much as possible, working the possibilities with a ball in his hand. Even quarterback meetings needed to be interactive. The last thing, they said, was to have him sitting in a lecture for two hours.
this is something i have been pointing to for a while.

there is this belief that all people learn the same way, or at least should...but that just isn't the case. some people are great students who can sit in the classroom and observe and learn everything they need before getting out there...for them, that may be the best way to learn. but for many people the best way to learn is hands on and with constant and easy access to coaching/teaching.

So not only does he have one good work ethic, but now he has multiple?

This kid really is something special.

yeah, people are just now seeing the things that got me on his bandwagon. sure, the flashiness impressed me as well as him just flat out being talented and athletic, but it was the intangibles that really sold me on him.

i went looking for discussions on his skills as a leader, wanting to find out what people who worked with him and really investigated this kid rather than just throwing out blanket "the dude's a fake" and pointing to his very publicized mistakes. i was fully impressed by what i saw. there was more than i was expecting from any player (kid) coming out of college. if i can find the stuff, i may repost it.it's old and very played out arguments that people are starting to move away from. not worth bringing it up. i will say i fully understand why people felt the way they did and very little of it had anything to do with race. the kid made a lot of mistakes early on and there was plenty of controversy surrounding him. with so much press pointing to him being a problem off the field (granted it was all pretty ill informed) it's easy for people to believe that he might have a lot of issues coming in.

best to move on from that discussion.

I agree with a lot of the stuff u said but to try and pretend that race was being played with Cam is untrue. Cam was so race-baited it wasn't funny anymore...From instantly comparison him to every failed black QB, to labeling him as unintelligent with no proof, to saying how athletic he is BUT..., to accusing him of bad work ethics, again without proof, and using it all as grounds to be leary of him screams of racial stereotyping...I honestly felt the media race-baited Ryan Mallett also.

And I too will leave it at that.:)

I agree with a lot of the stuff u said but to try and pretend that race was being played with Cam is untrue. Cam was so race-baited it wasn't funny anymore...From instantly comparison him to every failed black QB, to labeling him as unintelligent with no proof, to saying how athletic he is BUT..., to accusing him of bad work ethics, again without proof, and using it all as grounds to be leary of him screams of racial stereotyping...I honestly felt the media race-baited Ryan Mallett also.

And I too will leave it at that.:)

He reportedly cheated multiple times, which many people used to say he had a bad work ethic. He was also compared to successful QBs like Vick, Freeman, and Big Ben.

Archived