• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could Otah make or break Cam's rookie season?

CardiacCats

If I remember correctly Otah played the last part of his college schedule hurt and came to us gimpy out of the draft. I believe he's had time to heal and will be the standard for our OL this year. Also don't sell Schwartz short this year if he comes back. He and Otah work very well together.

One person make or break someone elses season?....don't think so...is Otah some sort of pro bowler or something?.....sorry I missed something....

Otah makes our ground game elite.

if Otah put in full seasons.....he would have been a pro bowler by now.

Without Otah on the field (or bringing in someone comparable).....it really ain't worth having all that talent in the backfield.

People want Otah cut? Wtf? He's easily one of the 5 best RTs in the NFL when healthy, he is a mammoth. LIke others have said the only gripe I have about him is I think he is lazy, he is a beast though and when Cam has had good protection, that's when he has made his plays.

Otah makes our ground game elite.

if Otah put in full seasons.....he would have been a pro bowler by now.

Without Otah on the field (or bringing in someone comparable).....it really ain't worth having all that talent in the backfield.

Yes and just that great run game could make Cams a much, much better QB

Yes people are saying cut Otah, after and if he sits out this year that's over two years worth of games he has not played. Imagine him in a 4 year contract, that is hallf that contract. I am sorry but as of now he isn't worth it. I would rather have 75% results with 100% consistency than 100% results with 50% consistency. For a blocker consistency can be better than results.

As for his left knee - which kept him out all last season after what was supposed to be a minor surgery - Otah said after practice that there is "pretty much no swelling, it's just a little achy here and there."

Could it be possible Otah would miss another entire year? "I'm hoping not," Otah said. "I doubt it. But you know how injuries are. They're unexpected."

And if Otah gets back by the regular-season opener?

"I hope I can go out there and help I can make a difference," he said, "but I don't look at myself as some kind of missing piece or key."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/08/27/2559303/panthers-offensive-line-a-weak.html#ixzz1WLEG3AMS

Ok, I think I am about ready to take back the good things I said about Otah. Those quotes above do not give me confidence that he wants to play. He sounds like a guy that would be perfectly happy sitting on the bench for as long as he can.

Contrast his statements to some of the things we heard from Thomas Davis who talked about how excited he was to get back out on the field.

Color me worried.

I think Otah said that in that way so he didn't disrespect his teammates.

So why not say something like "I am just really happy that I can join my teammates soon, it's been really tough sitting on the sidelines" etc.

Time will tell, but I don't have any warm fuzzies after reading what he said.

So why not say something like "I am just really happy that I can join my teammates soon, it's been really tough sitting on the sidelines" etc.

Time will tell, but I don't have any warm fuzzies after reading what he said.

Because he didnt rehearse his comments in prepartion for people hanging on his every word.

Like others have said, when Cam has protection he looks x1000 better than when he doesn't have any, Otah would make a huge difference to giving Cam more time in the pocket.

ANY / EVERY QB looks better when he actually has time in the pocket. If Jimmy had a good 10 - 12 seconds without pressure, and if he had had RECEIVING THREAT WRs last year like we have this year he would have looked a lot better. If Carolina had made a serious effort to go out and get another talented WR to help both Jimmy and Smitty Jimmy would have looked better. Having no serious QB Coach last year, had Jimmy been given a QB coach and time to develop I believe he would have developed into a good - not great- QB. Given the same (pretty much) OL Jimmy had last year and no real WR threat (again) other than Smitty, Cam has looked no better than Jimmy did last year/this year so far. The bright spots for Cam have been our new WRing TEs and his ability to jack-rabbit out of the pocket when it collapses. I am also looking forward to having Otah, the human road grader, back to get our running game rolling again. He should also help give our QBs more time. Getting the running game going again will be Cam's biggest help, though!

Archived