• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My observations of Cam Newton's game

TheRealDeal

Wait a minute you mean to tell me in his first exhibition game as a rookie he doesn't look like a polished all pro?

I mean to tell you exactly what's in the post, nothing more, nothing less.

Draw your own conclusions but if you want to post, please address the content of this thread.

I dont think anyone has said his footwork or playaction is good/great. He was able to overcome those shortcomings in college but needs to work on it more. Sorry he isn't as polished as a 10 year vet. What he has shown is the willingness to work on it.

The throwing off the back of the foot still is bothersome but can be coached out as well.

Well TRD since Cam isn't the only player on the team and you've made a few hundred posts about him in the past hour I think you and I both know whatever anyone else posts is irrelevant.

You don't seem like a bad buy but fug you are an attention *****. I'll let ya be.

im not sayn he is a good QB yet, but who would you rather start? i wouldnt even mind in anderson started at the moment but you have to admit cam is the best option down the road. i just dont see the need to make sure everyone knows you havnt annointed him or even accepted him as a player on the team, much like everyone else has done with clausen, its pretty sad when a entire fan base boos their own player

Well TRD since Cam isn't the only player on the team and you've made a few hundred posts about him in the past hour I think you and I both know whatever anyone else posts is irrelevant.

You don't seem like a bad buy but fug you are an attention *****. I'll let ya be.

It's a message board and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE talking QBs.

I don't expect Clausen to be the starter so I don't want to talk about him. I want to talk as much about our starting QB as possible. If you don't like the content of my posts, maybe Cam should play better.

im not sayn he is a good QB yet, but who would you rather start? i wouldnt even mind in anderson started at the moment but you have to admit cam is the best option down the road. i just dont see the need to make sure everyone knows you havnt annointed him or even accepted him as a player on the team, much like everyone else has done with clausen, its pretty sad when a entire fan base boos their own player

I expect him to start and be our QB, that's why I enjoy talking about him. I want to know as much about him as possible.

I want to talk about every play he makes or doesn't make.

We finally have real football to talk about and now no one wants to talk, they just want to hope.

I'll post this again for people to see what a national profootball writer says so you can see why you shouldn't care what TRD thinks

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/23648/early-take-on-newton-and-clausen

Newton was far from perfect, but he didn’t have any disastrous plays like Clausen’s interception. He never looked lost and he also flashed big-play ability. The numbers (8-of-19 for 134 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions) weren’t spectacular, but there were memorable strong throws to Olsen and Armanti Edwards.

There were several times when Newton made good throws that were disrupted by good coverage. But keep in mind that Newton was playing with second- and third-team wide receivers, who had trouble getting separation from defensive backs, and Edwards didn’t help when he failed to hold onto a nice pass from Newton in the third quarter.

Give Newton a healthy Steve Smith, who sat out with an injured finger, and the results might have been spectacular. Newton, who played into the fourth quarter, didn’t have the luxury of playing with running backs Williams and Jonathan Stewart, and played behind backups on the offensive line.

Cam did have some bad throws, I'm not going to lie. But, he had three TD passes at his finger tips. The two to LaFell before the first field goal, there was just really nice coverage by the defense, and the pass to Armanti right before halftime. That pass was just a second or two too late, and can easily be fixed with more timing between the receiver and the QB.

Also, Cam's pass to Olsen, also right before the half, was a fantastic throw. The ball was on a direct line, and it hit Olsen in the hands as he was falling. Throws like that have to be made in the NFL.

But, then he had some throws that made me go, "Whaaaa?". The throw to Goodson was about two yards behind Goodson, and the fact that Goodson got his hand up to tip the ball was incredible.

All in all, I'd say that Cam is a rookie. He showed signs of why he was drafted #1 overall, and he also showed signs of why people think that his mechanics aren't the greatest.

I'll post this again for people to see what a national profootball writer says so you can see why you shouldn't care what TRD thinks

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/23648/early-take-on-newton-and-clausen

Newton was far from perfect, but he didn’t have any disastrous plays like Clausen’s interception. He never looked lost and he also flashed big-play ability. The numbers (8-of-19 for 134 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions) weren’t spectacular, but there were memorable strong throws to Olsen and Armanti Edwards.

There were several times when Newton made good throws that were disrupted by good coverage. But keep in mind that Newton was playing with second- and third-team wide receivers, who had trouble getting separation from defensive backs, and Edwards didn’t help when he failed to hold onto a nice pass from Newton in the third quarter.

Give Newton a healthy Steve Smith, who sat out with an injured finger, and the results might have been spectacular. Newton, who played into the fourth quarter, didn’t have the luxury of playing with running backs Williams and Jonathan Stewart, and played behind backups on the offensive line.

Well, that guy's opinion isn't any more valid than ours. I will say, a former-Super Bowl winning head coach thought Cam played exceptional for a rookie in his first outing. I'll take that guy's opinion over most people's.

Archived