• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My observations of Cam Newton's game

TheRealDeal

Flacco blows and I only hope the only attribute Cam shares is that they both have dominating defenses that lead the team on the other side of the ball. I just hope Cam is better at helping his defense out.
Joe Flacco blows? Now why do you think that?

Your penchant for hyperbole aside your assessment was pretty close to what I saw, except I came away with a different feeling.

I took game notes maybe I'll do a breakdown later....

But, in general he missed some low percentage downfield throws x2 Olsen right sideline, Martin right sideline.

He hit Olsen on a seam for a big gain, imo played it too safe/cautious w/ that throw and I'm speculating here but I think Cam knows he missed a potential TD by the way he clapped his hands afterwards as if to say damn missed a big one.

Goalline good throw to LaFell but the DB made better effort for the ball then LaFell drop/broken up.(1)

Made some unwise decisions that forced him to attempt more difficult throws then neccesary and he missed the throws Nannee? Edwards,

Missed some hots that forced him to throw w/ pressure in the face causing poor throw to Bainbridge left (corner route), Bainbridge left flat

Missed Edwards on seam post (overthrown) under pressure had a hot open

On target 3 step slant rightside to Clowney drop/broken up (2)

Perfect Skinny post to Edwards dropped/broken up (3)

Nice seam route to Edwards

Miscommunication w/ Clowney on the comeback

On the whole I like what I saw.

He played like a rookie but his mistakes and his throwing mistakes were aggressive downfield throws; he wasn't the missing gimme plays.

His other mistakes liked missed hots and some unsound decision making can be coached.

But, Cam's ability to throw the ball downfield w/ velocity is evident.

Cam threw that bang 8(by all accounts a difficult throw) that Edwards dropped/was broken up about as well as any QB in the league and he made it look easy.

Very good analysis.

I agree that he missed the hot route by not accruately reading the pressure/blitz at the LOS. This is exactly what I thought he would struggle with. Good thing is that it will imrove with time and coaching.

Preseason isn't shortened, it's still 4 games and no days of camp were missed.

Cam got better work in Florida working 12 hours a day on the field with experts in the Chud playbook in Weinke and Dorsey.

He even played against live defenses and had 90% of the playbook memorized before he got to camp.

No excuses. Unless of course the Cam Huggers have been spouting BS before the draft and he's really just a project QB who should have been a 2nd rounder.

You have truly turned into the jester and joke of this message board. And yes...I do believe you are GMan.

Meanwhile I'll be living my awesome life in the real world and looking forward to the next Panther game.

I wish I had your awesome life, it sounds awesome.

Joe Flacco blows? Now why do you think that?

How much time do you have?

You have truly turned into the jester and joke of this message board. And yes...I do believe you are GMan.

Everything in that post was what people told me to believe.

Some people didn't even want team at the organized activities by Gross because he was getting better work in Florida, now I'm supposed to believe that held him back?

What the hell is going on here.

"He's great against the blitz, see how his numbers go up when he's rushed by 6 or more?"

"It's not his fault he was biltzed and the defense played defense"

"He has great work ethic and was working out 12 hours a day"

"Comeon TRD, saying he worked out 12 hours a day is exaggerating"

"His footwork is perfect and any fixes it does need will easily be done in Florida since he has such great work ethic"

"He doesn't have accuracy issues, he just has footwork issues that cause him to be inaccurate, you can't expect him to fix that in just a couple months"

"Cam doesn't feel pressure, he thrives off of it, he won a JUCO title you know"

"Cam was probably nervous out there. He felt the pressure from the defense and that caused some bad throws, again, not his accuracy issues."

"Man, ESPN doesn't know poo about us and they are always wrong"

"See, TRD you are wrong because ESPN said he had a good game"

"Coming from a spread doesn't mean anything, lots of NFL teams run spreads now"

"That was his first time in a pro offense, you have to give him a break, he ran the spread in college what do you expect"

"Cam looks great under center in his media workout, I knew it wouldn't be an issue"

"Cam looks awkward under center but it's only because he is too tall to be under center, it's not his fault"

Those are the then and now excuses from people talking about Cam, yet I'm the troll...:cool:

Jesus Christ... one page in and I am already sick. TRD was on point with his OP and people lost their poo with any objective criticism of what the tape showed. He didn't say that Cam didn't show flashes, he merely pointed out what every other analyst that has actually watched the tape saw: He does some great throws down the field, but struggles with the mid-range accuracy.

That isn't to say it won't get worked out in time. It's just pointing out the obvious in the meantime. Maybe he likes raining on people's parade of optimism and chuck some mud at those rose-colored glasses, but it doesn't make those glasses any less rose-colored.

Take it for what it is. Cam is a rookie. He flashed that unbelievable upside. He will get the work he needs to put in and get better.

reality = Cam has things to work on

fans reality = most potential we've seen for well over a decade

The reality is that we have only seen a tiny glimpse of that potential. That's why fans are excited. You can nit pick just about any veteran QB and you will find mistakes if you look hard enough. Perfection never has and never will be achieved by any QB.

I find the seats on the bandwagon have gotten too full too quickly. So Im content to remain skeptical. However, I will say that Cam looked much better than I expected. I think it was mentioned this morning on Mike&Mike that Ryan Leaf had an awesome first preseason game.

Either way, most here would agree that one preseason games performance is no way to gauge a player. Pro or con.

Archived