• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My observations of Cam Newton's game

TheRealDeal

Real deal is just being his namesake.

Cam is a rookie - and one who always offerred more athletisism/upside in exchange for shaky mechanics and thin experience.

I think I agree with most in that there is a ton of upside there, but let's face it 99/100 people here are cutting him breaks.

From Sorenson today:

"Newton played seven series and, like Clausen, he was sacked twice. When Clausen is sacked, fans blame him. When Newton is sacked, fans blame the offensive line, the play call, the officials or the Giants cheated."

Sorenson is a moron. Clausen was sacked when he had all day to do SOMETHING with the ball. Both times Cam was sacked it WAS the OL. The first was due to a bad snap, which screwed Cam up as far as securing the ball. By the time he did get a hold of it, the defenders were in his face. The other was on the OL as the defenders were in the backfield at the snap of the ball.

I love how people point to shaky mechanics when there are none, really. His throwing motion is damn near perfect. Yeah, he doesn't look like Tom Brady, but nobody expects him to. Yeah, he throws off his back foot. There are a ton of vets that do pretty well (Favre, Peyton, etc) even when throwing off their back foot. Not saying I don't want Cam to fix that issue, because I do, but the hate towards Cam and the nitpicking against him is just as ridiculous as people who wanted to proclaim he was perfect last night.

Cam has work to do. But right now, I like what I see. He looked damn good and the offense moved well with him at the helm. If you can't admit that, you need to lay off the haterade.

I watched the entire game. You can jaw all you want, Newton will continue to improve.

I'm sure he will, but that doesn't change the content of this game and people's reactions to it. We're talking about this game, not his future in the NFL.

It's funny how you perceive a breakdown of his game as "jawing"

Do you have anything to refute or talk about concerning the post or just general statements that belong in another thread?

Over evaluating or giving an analysis with examples instead of some generalization like he played well?

I don't hate Cam Newton. He's just not as good yet as others make him out to be.

In your opinion. Tony Dungy seemed to be impressed with Cam. I would say he knows more about QBs than you. I will take his word for it and my own opinion matches his.

I don't want absolutely perfect, I just want decent. The fact that he impressed you shows more about your giddiness for Cam than his actual play

I had no love for Cam before this game. In fact, I disliked him and wished we had went a different route.

After watching him play I was mildly impressed and I think he has a lot to offer. I'm comparing him to past QB play we've had and how our previous QB's have played in their first games.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jimmy start though.

Archived