• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My observations of Cam Newton's game

TheRealDeal

You're kidding yourself if you think the job wasn't his to begin with.

They had to put Jimmy out there to pretend like Cam had to earn it and earn the respect of his teammates.

If you base it on the game, Jimmy played about as good if not better than Cam and considering he's the incumbent starter, you wouldn't make a change from that.

Cam is and always was the QB of this team.

No doubt the weight of the pick plays into some favor towards Cam, but if Clausen performed lights out, Cam wouldn't have started early, they would've gave him time to develop.

And for everyone saying they were about equal... Smh... Apparently giving points to the other team on horrible throws doesn't hold as much weight as it used to in evaluating a QB. Also, the body language of each of them while on the field was extremely telling, and can't be ignored.

Cam walked in the huddle and took command of it. He got his teammates excited. The crowd went crazy and if he's anxious or nervous in the pocket it's not nearly as obvious as it is with Jimmy. Cam might throw off his back foot (which I still think is nitpicking - if he makes the throws it doesn't matter) but Jimmy gets all Delhomme like and starts chopping his feet and is just looking for the quickest way to avoid getting hit, which often results in a terrible throw.

No point in arguing what some refuse to see though... We'll just watch and the results will speak for themselves.

Cam might throw off his back foot (which I still think is nitpicking - if he makes the throws it doesn't matter) but Jimmy gets all Delhomme like and starts chopping his feet and is just looking for the quickest way to avoid getting hit, which often results in a terrible throw.

I wouldn't care if it didn't affect his throws. It directly took two TDs off the board and some first downs as well.

He's the best option for this team at QB, but honestly that's not saying much.

He still has a long way to go.

I wouldn't care if it didn't affect his throws. It directly took two TDs off the board and some first downs as well.

He's the best option for this team at QB, but honestly that's not saying much.

He still has a long way to go.

Don't recall him throwing off his backfoot on his first drive down to the goal......definately on his 2nd.

His first one down there just showed the difference in arm strength between Newton and other Qbs. He doesn't need to put a lot of into the throw with his body to zip it into there....he was just being aggressive.

Don't recall him throwing off his backfoot on his first drive down to the goal......definately on his 2nd.

His first one down there just showed the difference in arm strength between Newton and other Qbs. He doesn't need to put a lot of into the throw with his body to zip it into there....he was just being aggressive.

That was my point about "I don't care as long as he makes the throws..."

Favre made a career out of throwing without leverage or balance (although I don't want Cam to play like Brett in regards to being so reckless to the point of endless amounts of INTs).

And the comparison I've been making to Cam the most - Big Ben, does it all the time. Ben also plays with a similar offensive strategy as Cam will be playing with... some of the throws Cam missed on (the Armanti miss over the middle that was almost a TD), looked like so many throws I've seen Ben miss in the exact same manner.

Then when you look at the two throws to Lafell that should've been caught in the endzone, despite being forced... It shows that Cam probably has an even stronger arm than Ben, and those balls were well placed.

I just saw a lot to be happy about going forward.

That was my point about "I don't care as long as he makes the throws..."

Favre made a career out of throwing without leverage or balance (although I don't want Cam to play like Brett in regards to being so reckless to the point of endless amounts of INTs).

And the comparison I've been making to Cam the most - Big Ben, does it all the time. Ben also plays with a similar offensive strategy as Cam will be playing with... some of the throws Cam missed on (the Armanti miss over the middle that was almost a TD), looked like so many throws I've seen Ben miss in the exact same manner.

Then when you look at the two throws to Lafell that should've been caught in the endzone, despite being forced... It shows that Cam probably has an even stronger arm than Ben, and those balls were well placed.

I just saw a lot to be happy about going forward.

well, I just rewatched that drive to make sure.....Cam wasn't throw off his backfoot on those back to back passes. He was being to aggressive but they were both good throws....and he stepped up on both. Good on the 2nd one....as much as he could on the first considering a lineman was in front of his him.

well, I just rewatched that drive to make sure.....Cam wasn't throw off his backfoot on those back to back passes. He was being to aggressive but they were both good throws....and he stepped up on both. Good on the 2nd one....as much as he could on the first considering a lineman was in front of his him.

Thanks for double checking...

I didn't say he threw off his back foot, but that seems to be the only thing people can find to criticize him about.

I didn't think he did it on the LaFell throws because they were well placed and had plenty of zip.

I only remember one where I thought he threw off his back foot and that was because a DL crashed the middle and fell down into his front shin and he stepped back and threw it.

I wasn't able to record the game though, so I'm just going off everything I saw during the game...

Long time lurker, 1st time poster

My take fwiw, Who passes the eyeball test? Neither QB was stellar. Cam to me looked more the part. But let's not kid ourselves he needs reps and lots of them. He's never going to be a Brady or Manning, but he has skills and size that pickles will never have. The best thing going for him is our two main weapons Smitty and Olsen can both make plays on balls that are not exactly placed well. He is basically Delhomme(03 version) on steroids.

Bad news for Panther trolls, eh, I mean "fans," who don't like Cam...

Reed is reporting he most likely will be starting against Miami and took the majority of the snaps with the 1s today.

So apparently, the staff saw what us reasonable, objective fans saw.

Rivera has been saying he wants to see both Jimmy and Cam play against starters during the preseason. Considering the 3rd preseason game is when you want to have a starter named since starters play most of the game, a reasonable person can infer that Cam is starting because Jimmy started last week, not based on performance.

Archived