• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My observations of Cam Newton's game

TheRealDeal

:lol: so other guys can and have been wrong plenty of times but Rivera won't be one of them because he said some nice things about Cam...got it

Nope, I'm saying there were obvious issues with these guys that we have yet to see with Cam. He works WAY harder than Russell did, (and I'm tired of that reference...they are different players) and Jimmy slipped to the 2nd round for a reason. Cam Newton's size, speed and skill warranted a #1 pick. His work ethic justifies it.

This is the observation of Michael Lombardi (another person who is a better football analyst then TRD).

He was also a person who said he wouldn't take Cam until mid 1st round and it would take Cam 2 or 3 years to be a starter.

Newton: Short-term sacrifice, long-term gains

If we learned anything from watching Carolina's 20-10 win over the Giants Saturday night, it was that Cam Newton obviously possesses the raw talent to be a franchise quarterback deserving of the first overall pick. This was not a stellar performance, but rather a peek into the true potential, the real talent that Newton possesses. Newton needs all the reps he can get -- to help him both mentally and physically, as he adapts to the speed of the game. The best move the Panthers can make for the future is to play Newton as much as possible now, in the preseason, and prepare him to start the regular season. They will take some lumps in the short term, but it will help make the Panthers a legitimate playoff team in a few years.

Looks like his opinion has changed.

This is the observation of Michael Lombardi (another person who is a better football analyst then TRD).

He was also a person who said he wouldn't take Cam until mid 1st round and it would take Cam 2 or 3 years to be a starter.

Newton: Short-term sacrifice, long-term gains

If we learned anything from watching Carolina's 20-10 win over the Giants Saturday night, it was that Cam Newton obviously possesses the raw talent to be a franchise quarterback deserving of the first overall pick. This was not a stellar performance, but rather a peek into the true potential, the real talent that Newton possesses. Newton needs all the reps he can get -- to help him both mentally and physically, as he adapts to the speed of the game. The best move the Panthers can make for the future is to play Newton as much as possible now, in the preseason, and prepare him to start the regular season. They will take some lumps in the short term, but it will help make the Panthers a legitimate playoff team in a few years.

Looks like his opinion has changed.

I agree with him 100%. I also agree that we will take lumps this season as he learns. I would prefer not to start him right away for a specific reason.

With the talent on this team (great OL, fantastic RB's, Good WR's, outstanding TE's, lots of defensive talent that should play very well under Rivera's agressive scheme) I think we can be a good team NOW.

Give me solid QB play and we can be a .500+ team THIS season.

If Cam plays like a rookie (and he probably will as he learns the NFL game), we will be a 4-6 win team.

Love Cam's future.....don't really want to sacrifice the present to get there.

I agree with him 100%. I also agree that we will take lumps this season as he learns. I would prefer not to start him right away for a specific reason.

With the talent on this team (great OL, fantastic RB's, Good WR's, outstanding TE's, lots of defensive talent that should play very well under Rivera's agressive scheme) I think we can be a good team NOW.

If Cam plays like a rookie (and he probably will as he learns the NFL game), we will be a 4-6 win team.

playing early may simply aid him in reaching his potential quicker. Not a big fan of sitting him considering the talent around him.

I think Cam could average out given his strengths and weaknesses to give us average QB play as soon as this season.

playing early may simply aid him in reaching his potential quicker. Not a big fan of sitting him considering the talent around him.

I think Cam could average out given his strengths and weaknesses to give us average QB play as soon as this season.

Problem with that is we have 6 of our last 8 games on the road....if we don't come out with at least splitting the first 8 games, it will get UGLY this season.

Rivera will make one of two decisions:

1. Take the lumps this season and get Cam as many reps as possible....playing for 2012 season.

2. Sit Cam for at least half the season and try to win now with a more seasoned vet. Cam's time will come.

I will be interested to see which way he eventually goes. People have a lot of opinions on this. Mine is.....I have no idea with Rivera will do. I will just have to trust him.

Hater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers2:

There really is a middle ground here. Start Anderson or Pickles and put in some packages for Newton. Look what he did in the 2 minute drill when he sits back in a shotgun like he did for Auburn. He could be very good for us without playing every snap. He really does have a great arm to throw deep downfield. When he is the best option then play him full time. He can get snaps and learn at the same time without sacrificing the season.

C'mon people stop this black and white concrete thinking and get out of the box. This can be a great year for us and give Cam the experience he needs.

Archived