• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My observations of Cam Newton's game

TheRealDeal

The fact that he continuously stayed in the pocket under pressure puts him light years above where I thought he'd be game 1 of the preseason. I loved how he barely flicked his wrist and hit Olsen for the big gain too. Footwork definitely needs improvement, but most of what I saw that I didn't like is a matter of him getting reps and developing a muscle memory with Shula. Not a bad outing at all. When you consider the hundreds of reps lost do to the lockout, it gets me pumped to think about where he will be at this time next year, with all the Panthers offensive weapons available to him.

Watch his footwork on some of those throws from the pocket. He WAS bailing out to his back foot on several of those throws. That is not a good habit to get into....will be a turnover machine in the reg season if he continues this.

However, he was impressive for his first start.

He definitely showed flashes of jus thow dman good he can be....but also showed the inconsistency that is typical of a rookie QB.

His performance was good.

Cam had the nice throw to Olsen and the good throw to Edwards. (Two throws for around 60 yards)

Anderson had one decent pass to Charly Martin (not the circus catch by Martin, but the other one).

the throw to Edwards was on a completely busted coverage.

The fact that we are even having a discussion about Newton's success on Saturday is a testament to how far he has come and how hard he has worked in a short period of time. For a draft pick who was going to need 2 or 3 years before he would be worthy of starting, he did a pretty good job. Regardless of what he did right or wrong, it was a pretty impressive first outing for a guy who before the draft had terrible mechanics, couldn't take a snap from center and had no sense of a pro offense or how to read defenses. Amazing he could find those wide open receivers and move the ball down the field. After all based on some evaluations, he should have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

To be fair, TRD is not the only Panther "fan" with this type of sentiment, so I do think its good he's here so people can see these folks do exist in our fanbase. At the game on Saturday, up in 537 there was a Panther "fan" below us in a Beason jersey who stood up and clapped and cheered each time Cam was sacked and pretty much yelled "take that" "Cam sucks" everytime. When some younger fans stood up close to him and yelled to him "hey dude, chill out he's on our team, he's not the enemy, its preseason his first game" dude went into a tirade about how Cam is overrated and isnt a "pro style" QB like Clausen blah, blah, blah. While a minority at this point, there are Panther fans more obsessed with proving Cam was a mistake than they are with winning or enhancing our brand so to speak. So TRD does serve a purpose here, he shows how far we've come and what we dont want to go back to.

IMO, if we draft someone and he is extremely talented, hardworking, adaptable and confident, and most of all, there for the team, I'm behind him 100%. If he doesn't pan out then fine but at least give him a chance.

Sadly, there are going to be some who are going to scape-goat Cam because he played for Auburn. Others who will dislike him because they believe everything they heard about him from the media. Some who are simply going to dislike him because he is very talented and adaptable, and yes, there will be those who will hate him because he is a black QB drafted so high on the board and they are adiment that he shouldn't have.

Yes, I'm very realistic, everyone isn't going to be in love with fans. But here's hoping you will focus on helping him get better so your team can get better and less on nitpicking just for the sake of it. Constructive criticism isn't the same as finding fault.

Heck, I'm sure some of those folks are the same ones Booing Jimmy...Like WTF...What's up with that?

To be fair, TRD is not the only Panther "fan" with this type of sentiment, so I do think its good he's here so people can see these folks do exist in our fanbase. At the game on Saturday, up in 537 there was a Panther "fan" below us in a Beason jersey who stood up and clapped and cheered each time Cam was sacked and pretty much yelled "take that" "Cam sucks" everytime. When some younger fans stood up close to him and yelled to him "hey dude, chill out he's on our team, he's not the enemy, its preseason his first game" dude went into a tirade about how Cam is overrated and isnt a "pro style" QB like Clausen blah, blah, blah. While a minority at this point, there are Panther fans more obsessed with proving Cam was a mistake than they are with winning or enhancing our brand so to speak. So TRD does serve a purpose here, he shows how far we've come and what we dont want to go back to.

Well, that guy in 537 is a total idiot.

I hope Cam and JC play well.

Like I said before, Cma showed the inconsistency that is common in a rookie. But, he showed flashes of how good he can be.

And that is that he can be very, very good. I hope we bring him along correctly and let him develop. would hate to ruin a talent like him with the wrong decision.

I still like sitting him until about half way through the season.

Cliffs of this thread:

TRD gets pissed when no one cares about his trolling

29 pages... someone cares.

People like to comment on how little they care but they keep coming back because they know it's the truth and they feel they need to defend Cam.

The simple fact that some people here put Cam's rookie performance #1 is a testament to how much they feel they need to protect him.

He was bottom tier and showed exactly why many had him a 2nd round talent.

He has the same issues now as he had in his first game at Auburn and it's depressing.

Mallet/Locker/Gabbert would have torched that defense. We got to witness a bunch of dumpoffs and screens and 2 subpar deep balls to wide open guys and people are proclaiming it a great performance.

People like to comment on how little they care but they keep coming back because they know it's the truth and they feel they need to defend Cam.

The simple fact that some people here put Cam's rookie performance #1 is a testament to how much they feel they need to protect him.

He was bottom tier and showed exactly why many had him a 2nd round talent.

He has the same issues now as he had in his first game at Auburn and it's depressing.

Mallet/Locker/Gabbert would have torched that defense. We got to witness a bunch of dumpoffs and screens and 2 subpar deep balls to wide open guys and people are proclaiming it a great performance.

It is light years better than anything Matt Moore or Jimmy Clausen did all of last year. Give it a rest, TRD. We are optimistic and liked what we saw.

/thread

It is light years better than anything Matt Moore or Jimmy Clausen did all of last year. Give it a rest, TRD. We are optimistic and liked what we saw.

/thread

That's not even close to true either.

Romanticize all you want. The honeymoon will be over before you know it and we could lose a good coach because of it.

That's not even close to true either.

Romanticize all you want. The honeymoon will be over before you know it and we could lose a good coach because of it.

That good coach you're talking about RAVES about Cam Newton. I'm willing to bet he's smarter than you when it comes to football players and evaluating talent/potential.

That good coach you're talking about RAVES about Cam Newton. I'm willing to bet he's smarter than you when it comes to football players and evaluating talent/potential.

Do you expect him to say bad things?

Do you think the guy who drafted Russell? Alex Smith? Jimmy Clausen? are smarter than me?

Jon Gruden thinks Pryor is better than Cam, is he smarter than me and you?

Do you think the guy who drafted Russell? Alex Smith? Jimmy Clausen? are smarter than me?

1 - Yes, I do think they are smarter than you in regards to football personnel decisions and evaluating talent. Mainly because they get to be around these guys and work with them. Some guys end up being busts... but most folks knew from the beginning that Russell has zero work ethic and Jimmy fell to the 2nd for a reason.

2 - There is a reason Jon Gruden isn't coaching anymore. He also said that Jimmy Clausen was the most NFL ready of all QB's last year in regards to his throwing mechanics.

Sorry, missed this one. Yes, Ron Rivera has been very up front and straightforward about personnel thus far. I'd expect him to temper our expectations if there was a serious worry about Cam.

Archived