• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My observations of Cam Newton's game

TheRealDeal

The fact that he continuously stayed in the pocket under pressure puts him light years above where I thought he'd be game 1 of the preseason. I loved how he barely flicked his wrist and hit Olsen for the big gain too. Footwork definitely needs improvement, but most of what I saw that I didn't like is a matter of him getting reps and developing a muscle memory with Shula. Not a bad outing at all. When you consider the hundreds of reps lost do to the lockout, it gets me pumped to think about where he will be at this time next year, with all the Panthers offensive weapons available to him.

Im curious to hear what everyones expectations were before the game....I cant make a thread yet cause I haven't posted enough, but lets start here....what were your expectations on:

Comp%:

Pass yds:

Rush yds:

TD's:

Not Clausenisims:

Not Matt Moorenisms:

Your footwork expectations (1-10 scale)

Read and recog expectations (1-10 scale)

anything else you feel important (1-10 scale)

At first I believed the ESPN garbage that Cam would never be great because he came from the spread offense, couldn't read NFL defenses, etc...

Everything Cam has done thus far (offseason workouts, training camp, and vs NY) has exceeded my expectations of him...

I hope for the future of the franchise that he continues to improve at a drastically high level

"He can thread the needle, but usually goes with his primary receiver and forces the ball to him even when he's in a crowd. He's a gutty, cocky type. Doesn't have great tools and tends to throw off his back foot, but could eventually start.". Scouting report on Joe Montana at the combine prior to the 1979 NFL Draft.

Sound familar?

Archived