• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My observations of Cam Newton's game

TheRealDeal

Comparing the results of two teams in two years and coming to the conclusion that it's all because of one variable without acknowledging the other 90 variables that changed is invalid.

I get what you're saying, and I agree with it. On an individual level, I think Clausen looks better than he did last year. Newton and Anderson weren't on the roster. It's an apples and oranges comparison even at the player level. So really, I'm just thinking about the QB position and the level of play we get from that as a whole. And it's a lot better than last year (which was bad for a variety of reasons that go way beyond who was lining up under center).

As far as Newton's concerned, I don't much care how he's throwing or what his mechanics are or his pocket presence, etc.... I care about his ability to help the team generate points. If you want great mechanics, etc..., go start Chris Weinke. I want the team to move the ball, and Newton did that. So I'm happy. :)

You care more what the actual process of a throw looks like more than the actual result. I'm guessing if Cam threw two TD's and had no interceptions, you would be happy; right?

That's exactly what I care about. I don't care if we get lucky a time or two and the pass is complete.

I want to have faith in the QB that he can make the correct throw in any situation.

When Clausen threw his TD to Stewart, I don't think that was a good play because we got very lucky there was a blown coverage. I wanted Clausen to have the ability to make the throw on target so a time later in the season when that exact throw needs to be made he has the ability to make it, not hope that the defense is no where to be found so he can lob some duck up there and hope to get lucky.

I want Cam to step into each of his throws like he did on the one Armanti dropped, that was a thing of beauty.

I don't want to hope that this time he throws off his back foot that it's actually accurate. If it's an important moment in the game and we need the TD to Armanti, I want to know he has the proper mechanics to make a good throw, not hope that he overcomes his bad mechanics and gets lucky on the throw.

If we're in the superbowl, I don't care how it gets done as long as it's a TD. During the preseason and regular season, those plays matter. The little things matter and NO ONE gets by on luck and bad mechanics all season. At some important moment in a game you need to be able to make the throw every time, not get lucky once in a while.

Results, in preseason especially, don't matter. It's about getting better and doing things the right way so when you do it when it counts, there is no doubt about it.

I agree with TRD... maybe not to some of his statements at times, but Cam was okish yesterday, nothing more. His passing didn't really impress me, he was ok in the pocket, nothing special but nothing scary bad.

Ok start for his career, I've definitely seen better.

I think TRD is basically trying to say - judge players on a level playing field. Just because you like a guy, why give him breaks and credit him good play but not others who you possibly like less. It's actually a bit sad the level that people are building Cam up already.

That's exactly what I care about. I don't care if we get lucky a time or two and the pass is complete.

I want to have faith in the QB that he can make the correct throw in any situation.

When Clausen threw his TD to Stewart, I don't think that was a good play because we got very lucky there was a blown coverage. I wanted Clausen to have the ability to make the throw on target so a time later in the season when that exact throw needs to be made he has the ability to make it, not hope that the defense is no where to be found so he can lob some duck up there and hope to get lucky.

I want Cam to step into each of his throws like he did on the one Armanti dropped, that was a thing of beauty.

I don't want to hope that this time he throws off his back foot that it's actually accurate. If it's an important moment in the game and we need the TD to Armanti, I want to know he has the proper mechanics to make a good throw, not hope that he overcomes his bad mechanics and gets lucky on the throw.

If we're in the superbowl, I don't care how it gets done as long as it's a TD. During the preseason and regular season, those plays matter. The little things matter and NO ONE gets by on luck and bad mechanics all season. At some important moment in a game you need to be able to make the throw every time, not get lucky once in a while.

Results, in preseason especially, don't matter. It's about getting better and doing things the right way so when you do it when it counts, there is no doubt about it.

You don't get by on mechanic's. You get by on TALENT!!! Some of the best players to plays any sport had TALENT but not the right mechanics.

Also, football is a read and react game. You can't sit back and say what is luck and what isn't based on mechanic's or even coverage and scheme's because it's not by chance, it's because one player is simply better than the other (as seen in Stewart's case).

Why can't you understand that?

As far as Newton's concerned, I don't much care how he's throwing or what his mechanics are or his pocket presence, etc.... I care about his ability to help the team generate points. If you want great mechanics, etc..., go start Chris Weinke. I want the team to move the ball, and Newton did that. So I'm happy. :)

Yes he moved the ball but his footwork and mechanics directly hurt us in the points department. He got 6 but he could have had 14.

You don't care that he left 8 points on the field?

You're happy just moving the ball but at some point you have to be able to get the ball in the endzone and if his footwork was better, no doubt about it he has 2 easy TD passes.

I agree with TRD... maybe not to some of his statements at times, but Cam was okish yesterday, nothing more. His passing didn't really impress me, he was ok in the pocket, nothing special but nothing scary bad.

I think TRD is basically trying to say - judge players on a level playing field. Just because you like a guy, why give him breaks and credit him good play but not others who you possibly like less. It's actually a bit sad the level that people are building Cam up already.

If anyone else would have posted this thread, it would have received a better response, but since TRD is like a hypocrite mixed with the boy who cried wolf; and repeatedly does this sh*t; he got a poor response from everybody (and will continue to get poor responses from everybody, until he stops acting like a pompous b*tch).

Yes he moved the ball but his footwork and mechanics directly hurt us in the points department. He got 6 but he could have had 14.

You don't care that he left 8 points on the field?

You're happy just moving the ball but at some point you have to be able to get the ball in the endzone and if his footwork was better, no doubt about it he has 2 easy TD passes.

I reckon I'll care a lot more in a few weeks than I do now, but we have a rookie QB who just got his first taste of real NFL action and he moved the ball. Right now that's enough for me. :)

You shouldn't agree with me if you know what's good for you.

You have to judge players that you want to do better more favorably than players you don't like.

I'd enjoy a brief summary of your thoughts. I already waded through the poo of 16 pages in this thread before it finally started getting good. I'd rather not put myself through this braindrain again!

I am not that worried about his accuracy at this point. having said that I still think he threw the ball pretty well last night, especially for a QB in his first live NFL game. But his accuracy will develop and (I keep saying this) there will be packages and plays to fully use all of Cam's attributes once the season starts that weren't displayed last night.

Most rookie QB's would have come into the game, thrown some screens, some slants, and maybe a crossing route or two, completed 7 or 8 passes and gained about 90 yards and everybody would have talked about how great a debut that rookie had. Cam if nothing else proved last night that he was ready to rise to the challenge of playing in the NFL. In other words he seemed in no way scared of the spotlight he seemed to actually embrace it. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to allow himself to buy into the fact that he shouldn't be successful just because he is a rookie. He had incredible poise in the pocket it seemed, made some big boy throws, and showed he is ready to try and make plays for this football team. That is all I wanted to see from him. He in some way exceeded my expectations with some of the throws he was making. Even if they weren't as accurate as TRD would have liked 9/10 rookies wouldn't have had the balls to even attempt those throws in the first place.

On some of the passes that were low; they were a product of the receiver not being very open at all and Cam trying to put it in a place where the receiver may have a shot but not throwing the ball into traffic. I am not blaming it on the receiver, more likely Cam didn't get through his progressions and locked on a receiver. That will happen with rookies sometimes. So it wasn't the receivers fault but he was trying to put the ball where it was supposed to go and preventing a potential turnover. At least that is how I interpreted it.

It is fine if TRD think he was the worst out of all the rookie QBs he has that right. But just because I completely disagree with him doesn't mean I am in a dream world of rainbows and lollipops that has no fugging clue what it takes to be an NFL QB or the ability to analyze a game and draw different conclusions than him.

Do you realize what you just said?

Yes I do. You want every player to be Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. However, not everyone is that gifted...sometime's you have to settle for Michael Vick and Josh Freeman (still throws off his backfoot quite a bit) and that should be ok as both with more than likely have their chance to win at least one Super Bowl some day.

If anyone else would have posted this thread, it would have received a better response, but since TRD is like a hypocrite mixed with the boy who cried wolf; and repeatedly does this sh*t; he got a poor response from everybody (and will continue to get poor responses from everybody, until he stops acting like a pompous b*tch).

So because I repeatedly give my honest opinion that is the exact same as a few others, I get singled out?

Yet I'm the one who is a troll.

I know you are a child and you are very emotional, but try focusing on the content of people's post instead of who posts them.

You just made yourself look bad.

Thats ironic considering TRD isnt willing to hold a career backup who cant beat out Chad Henne, to the standard he holds our new franchise QB or even Clausen for that matter. I just cant take a poster seriously who's so picky about Qbing when his hero is a guy who was handed everything and wet the bed as a leader of our franchise. TRD is the living embodiment of an unlevel playing field. Ive never seen TRD roast Moore for averaging 2 INTs a game last season. Ive never seen TRD critique Moore's duck passes and lack of pocket presence. TRD is the living embodiment of "picking favorites" and tearing down 1 person to try and make another seem better than they are because they fold in competition and cant prove it on their own.

No I think TRD is mad because Matt Moore is not here. He is over analyzing every pass a Rookie QB with 2 weeks of TC threw last night. If he did the same with every QB in the league he would see nobody throws a perfect pass every play. When i ask him to give his breakdown of the other players he came back with "I don't care what people think of me HUFF PUFF HUFF" crap. Why is he so focus on the QB posistion? Their are other position on this team that need breakdown but you won't see but 1 or 2 post in those thread if any.

Archived