• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mallett/Gabbert/Cam/Ponder/Locker

TheRealDeal

I said in the box, Gabbert did not really have any poor throws. It was his awareness that he needs work on...especially when guys like Haynesworth, Wilfork, Carter, Mayo, and Warren aren't even playing.

his problem was basically problems you would expect and of course Ty Warren wasnt playing, in fact he wont EVER play for the Patroits this year unless John Fox releases him. Haynesworth didnt play and is likely counting his money, hahaha, cant stand that guy. Carter likely wont start unless they are moving to a 4-3, he doesnt fit a 3-4 at all and yeah missing Wilfork and Mayo were BIG, but i was just pointing out that Cunningham wasnt the only big name playing last night, both starting safeties played, Gabbert will improve though.

As for Cam, I'm sure there is some pressure on him when it comes to his performance. Not specifcally coming from the good performances from the other rookie QB's, but from fans expecting good plays from him etc. Hopefully he'll handle it well.

This is what I was trying to get across I guess.

Do we expect more out of Cam now after seeing that other rookies are doing well?

Or are we going to try our hardest to discredit everything about their performance to protect our rookie?

So just to be clear, Cam can handle pressure better because he and his father are criminals and only he had to deal with that and his teammates didn't?

I'm glad you love to put words in other people's mouth, where did I mention Cam's father, or him being a criminal?

Cam will be able to handle pressure because it is something that he has dealt with and done for all of his life. You don't think Cam felt pressure this year? You don't think that hearing his name across ESPN at a record rate may have affected his attitude at times? You know damn well Cam felt pressure, more than most people do in a life time.

That is why Cam always smiles, even in the tough times. It's not for show or a display of cockiness. It's him knowing what he has been through and knowing every single time that he has persevered.

Mallet also worked under Tom frickin Brady, so there is some definite substance to that.

Mallet played great, you can't dispute that. Against 2nd or 3rd team defense, he showed ability to play the game.

If anything this is a good sign, because Cam will be playing against 2nd or 3rd team defense as well. But Cam doesn't have a mentor like Brady, plus Cam has a newly installed coaching staff.

So trying to draw comparisons will be difficult. The only real comparisons you can draw at this point is the preparation time. Gabbart and Mallet had equal prep time, along with Cam. Gabbart and Mallet showed some good things, so I expect Cam to have a good day (for a rookie).

If he plays poorly, it won't be a good sign. As far as weapons, my opinion is that we have more than Jacksonville. If Gabbart came out and had the wherewithal to make those decent plays, play smart, then I think Cam should be able to as well. If, not, then there is some major work to be done.

I think it does add some pressure. Yes it's he preseason, but he will be compared to the other QBs in his draft class and people will be itching to write or say anything negative about him they can.

The question wasn't so much will it hurt Cam's performance but will it add pressure and I can't see how it wouldn't to some degree. Cam seems like he can take it though

That is why Cam always smiles, even in the tough times. It's not for show or a display of cockiness. It's him knowing what he has been through and knowing every single time that he has persevered.

Most times.

Now he has the added pressure of not being "The Man." In college he was clearly the best, now he's just a small fish in a big pond. How does he handle that? It's completely different pressure than an NCAA investigation, which is what you mentioned. So while you didn't mention his father and crime in particular, you mentioned the NCAA investigation that was about his father and him committing a crime.

This is what I was trying to get across I guess.

Do we expect more out of Cam now after seeing that other rookies are doing well?

Or are we going to try our hardest to discredit everything about their performance to protect our rookie?

Why would we have to protect "our" rookie? Do you actually think Cam has the time to come on this message board and read what people have to say about him. I'm sure he know's how some people feel about him, and could honestly care less about the people who don't care about him. He will feel pressure to succeed but it won't have anything to do with others, it will have to do with the way he is. A guy that strives to be the best and won't settle until he gets there.

I don't think anything is putting more pressure on Cam then he's already putting on himself. The good news is that Cam makes love to pressure.

We have a bright future ahead. Cam and Mallet were the only two QBs in this draft that I would have been happy with. Wish we had an AJ or a Peterson on the teams also...

Mallett isn't feeling pressure of stepping up in a starting role, probably why he played so well. Gabbert is probably feeling more pressure because he has more of a chance of taking a starter position later, or even during the beginning of the season. Due to injury or poor play.

yep true. Mallett likely wont start for another 3 years or more, he first has to beat out Hoyer for the backup job and he actually played quite well too. Gabbert has more pressure than Mallett because of that. i think with experience Gabbert will improve.

Archived