• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mallett/Gabbert/Cam/Ponder/Locker

TheRealDeal

He wasn't playing against first team defense. The only guy worth a damn that was ever in the box last night was Cunningham. Something to keep in mind when building a player up that you didn't even see play.

Brandon Merriweather was also playing and if i am right Patrick Chung sees alot of action on the patroits defense. i am not saying Gabbert was playing all first teamers he wasnt. Haynesworth wasnt playing, he was likely on the sidelines counting his money, but Cunningham wasnt the only guy he was playing against that is worth mentioning. it's like i said, the only QBs that will likely see playing time this year are Gabbert, Newton, Ponder and Locker and for 3 of the 4only injuries or struggles are how they start sooner. Newton will likely start first, then after that i dont know. Mallett likely wont start for 5 years, he first has to beat out Hoyer who had just as good a game as Mallett did.

I love the crowning that's going on with Mallet right now, I think I'd like to see him play against a 1st team defense in a regular season game before I decide how good he is.

I don't think anything is putting more pressure on Cam then he's already putting on himself. The good news is that Cam makes love to pressure.

Preface this: Said two teams met year before in championship and big dog cheated using illegal footballs and their only punishment was no home games in following years playoffs. Bad blood between two teams.

It was the CIF SS Division II championship game. One team was ranked #2 in the nation and the other team had won 11 straight to get to this point. One team loaded with division one talent the other littered with guys too small and slow to make it. One team had shirts already made stating 56-0 for their streak dating a few years back, one team practiced night and day to know everything about their opponents. One team from the OC, the other from a school with a mixed population, hispanic and white. A DB for the underdogs was getting hounded by his coaches all week that he wasn't good enough to cover the D1 prospect and all around amazing athlete that the big boys had. They thought about benching him or moving his responsibilities before the biggest game of the year. How would he respond? His team, his school, his valley was counting on him to show up. He was nervous all week. How could he, a DIII walk on at best cover a future Fiesta Bowl MVP?

Game time comes and underdogs get off to great start. Big run for 6!!!!!!!! Crowd goes wild. Out comes the team destined for greatness on offense. Underdogs hold strong. Game goes on, still close. Said DB is feeling the moment and the pressure build. Said DB sees future NFL QB eyeballing the dig route and jumps it. Collision with receiver and ball pops in air, corner gets interception. Big play made!!!!!!!!!one!!!!

Game is getting later, pressure still building. Defense in cover 2 look, offense in a 4 receiver set. Inside receiver to said DBs side runs a slant, outside receiver runs a stop and go, corner bites, safety tries to fly over but it's goign to be close... DB and Fiesta Bowl MVP both go up for the ball (an accurate throw by QB would have been completion) and D3 walkon outmuscles D1 star for football and a game changing interception!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Underdog wins game in the end and everyone is happy.

Talk about pressure right. Pretty sure that same guy could handle the pressure of an NFL game considering how he responded in the aforementioned rivalry game.

Read that poo, mutherfuggers

That falls on the responsibility of a team. NOT ONE PLAYER. I don't know if you noticed, but Cam Newton was the only player in question or involved in committing anything against NCAA rules. Every team has problems with NCAA violations but never has one quarterback been attacked like Cam Newton and you know it. Quit making excuses and nut up for once.

If we want to talk about great stories, then let us look no further to a player that has led every team he has started on to a National Championship.

I personally think I'm a better story teller than you and Mr. Rogers combined. GOML

I'm excited just to see Panthers football, but in Cam's case, how the team responds to him. I would be surprised if he even watched any games to compare himself to the other rookies. I'm way more interested how he looks in week 12 rather than in the first preseason game, which really holds minimal weight and really has nothing to do with the rest of his career. My first sexual experience with a girl lasted about 90 seconds, just getting the feet wet the first experience barely will indicate the rest of the future.

I may avoid the huddle on Sunday, just because I know everything will be blown out of proportion, whichever direction that is. Again, last night has very little impact on any of those guys careers, much less Cam's.

:iagree:

That falls on the responsibility of a team. NOT ONE PLAYER. I don't know if you noticed, but Cam Newton was the only player in question or involved in committing anything against NCAA rules. Every team has problems with NCAA violations but never has one quarterback been attacked like Cam Newton and you know it. Quit making excuses and nut up for once.

If we want to talk about great stories, then let us look no further to a player that has led every team he has started on to a National Championship.

I personally think I'm a better story teller than you and Mr. Rogers combined. GOML

So just to be clear, Cam can handle pressure better because he and his father are criminals and only he had to deal with that and his teammates didn't?

Brandon Merriweather was also playing and if i am right Patrick Chung sees alot of action on the patroits defense. i am not saying Gabbert was playing all first teamers he wasnt. Haynesworth wasnt playing, he was likely on the sidelines counting his money, but Cunningham wasnt the only guy he was playing against that is worth mentioning. it's like i said, the only QBs that will likely see playing time this year are Gabbert, Newton, Ponder and Locker and for 3 of the 4only injuries or struggles are how they start sooner. Newton will likely start first, then after that i dont know. Mallett likely wont start for 5 years, he first has to beat out Hoyer who had just as good a game as Mallett did.

I said in the box, Gabbert did not really have any poor throws. It was his awareness that he needs work on...especially when guys like Haynesworth, Wilfork, Carter, Mayo, and Warren aren't even playing.

I love the crowning that's going on with Mallet right now, I think I'd like to see him play against a 1st team defense in a regular season game before I decide how good he is.

i would like to see how Ryan Mallett can handle a blitz against good pass rushers before i say that he's so great. that has been when he had issues. Mallett had issues when pass rushers are in his face and i stand corrected. there will be a rookie starting this year at QB likely sooner than Cam, it's Andy Dalton.

Mallett isn't feeling pressure of stepping up in a starting role, probably why he played so well. Gabbert is probably feeling more pressure because he has more of a chance of taking a starter position later, or even during the beginning of the season. Due to injury or poor play.

Waiting to see Jimmy play, heard some good things about him from camp but it all really comes down to his preseason performance when it comes to determining his future with the Panthers.

As for Cam, I'm sure there is some pressure on him when it comes to his performance. Not specifcally coming from the good performances from the other rookie QB's, but from fans expecting good plays from him etc. Hopefully he'll handle it well.

I don't think anything is putting more pressure on Cam then he's already putting on himself. The good news is that Cam makes love to pressure.

Mallett makes Dan Marino look like a track star.

He's going to have to have a Marino like quick release to keep from being a tackling dummy.

It's the pre season.... It's not about who this person did what against! It's about watching and seeing if they do the things you would like them to do. A QB hitting a wide open WR.... I could care less about.... But A QB fitting passes into tight windows I do, tight windows have nothing to do with who you are playing against.

You can also see how a player reacts in pressure... rather 1st, 2nd or 3rd string pressure is pressure. Once again a QB that looks good in a calm pocket I don't care about... But if he is pressured and moves around well and avoids it, thats good no matter who you are playing against.

It is this same way that teams evaluate their talent, set their depth chart, and decide who makes the team. You can judge a player a pre season by looking at what he does and the situation he did it (under pressure, tight window, multiple reads, ect).

Just because it's pre season doesn;t mean you can;t get a good idea of someone's skills and talent.

Archived