• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mallett/Gabbert/Cam/Ponder/Locker

TheRealDeal

Anyone think Cam is feeling the pressure after the performances that Mallett and Gabbert put on so far (moreso Mallett)?

Dude looked pretty damn good in his debut.

They will all be forever linked but do you think it adds pressure to Cam for his debut?

I think people over rated Ryan Mallett's debut, i mean, yes it was good, but it's not like he started or played the 1st or 2nd team the whole game like Gabbert and Hoyer (who did start for the patroits did). As for Newton, he will likely play 2nd teamers today and Anderson will play 3rd stringers, i dont think it's pressure because these are other teams. Mallett will NOT start, not this year or next year, Hoyer is Brady's backup, not Mallett. Gabbert had a decent game in my book, he wasnt great, but he didnt play awful and he's likely not going to start unless Garrard gets injured badly or if Garrard just lays an egg this year and looks awful. Newton will play and will start sometime this year. As for Ponder and Locker, i think it's the same situation with Gabbert, both will start if the starters ahead of them get hurt or stink it up. Mallett wont start, he's going to be a 3rd stringer, unless Hoyer looks bad in preseason.

There are certain people that make it seem like that Cam has never felt pressure before.

I guess playing your biggest rival (Alabama) in a game that will decide wether or not your team gets the opportunity to play in the SEC Championship and pretty much the NCAA National Championship (like South Carolina actually had a chance in the SEC Championship) while trailing 24-0 at one point as questions pop up every minute on wether or not you should even be playing in the game due to allegations and an NCAA investigation. At the same time you have to put the allegations, NCAA investigation, and every comment by someone that dislikes you or even hates you at the back of your mind and lead your team to an incredible comeback victory in the biggest game of the season.

Sound familiar?

Now That's G (Should have been a Gatorade commercial).

Most NFL ready, doesn't mean NFL ready...

It's like saying Jimmy is most ready to be a starter this year compared to Charlie Whitehurst, Brady Quinn, and Troy Smith. Just because I say he's the most, doesn;t really mean he's NFL starter ready.

Like I said, the point was made that the media as a whole, and as a whole they pretty much said both were going to be more project type QB's.... Actually said Cam could probably do better early by relying on his athleticism.

Point taken.:)

I think people over rated Ryan Mallett's debut, i mean, yes it was good, but it's not like he started or played the 1st or 2nd team the whole game like Gabbert and Hoyer (who did start for the patroits did). As for Newton, he will likely play 2nd teamers today and Anderson will play 3rd stringers, i dont think it's pressure because these are other teams. Mallett will NOT start, not this year or next year, Hoyer is Brady's backup, not Mallett. Gabbert had a decent game in my book, he wasnt great, but he didnt play awful and he's likely not going to start unless Garrard gets injured badly or if Garrard just lays an egg this year and looks awful. Newton will play and will start sometime this year. As for Ponder and Locker, i think it's the same situation with Gabbert, both will start if the starters ahead of them get hurt or stink it up. Mallett wont start, he's going to be a 3rd stringer, unless Hoyer looks bad in preseason.

Others also feel like Gabbert was playing against great competition as well. However, DT: Albert Haynesworth, DT: Vince Wilfork, DE: Shaun Ellis, LB: Andre Carter, and CB: Ras-I Dowling didn't play for the Patriots.

All of those guys would make a significant difference as well, don't you think?

College is over, this is the NFL.

Somehow, I knew you were going to mention that but these are rookies you are talking about. These aren't 10 year vets that have past NFL experience to look back on and say "hey, I remember the time I... (fill in the blank)." Rookies have to look back on past college experience and never has a quarterback been under so much pressure and scrutiny in college than Cam Newton in the last decade. Cam's college experiences will only help him in the NFL.

Gabbert wasn't anything special. A C is a good grade for him. He didn't make any major mistakes aside from the sacks against the first team D with about a week of practice.

Made some nice throws but still needs work.

i give Gabbert a C only because while he wasnt great, he wasnt bad as some think. he wasnt lost, he had some nice throws including some that were just flat out dropped, but he did had some bad plays, basically, he looked like a rookie should when he starts his first game vs. a first team defense. in the near future though, the QBs that will be known are Newton, Gabbert, Locker and Ponder. Mallett may not start for 5 years.

Gabbert wasn't anything special. A C is a good grade for him. He didn't make any major mistakes aside from the sacks against the first team D with about a week of practice.

Made some nice throws but still needs work.

He wasn't playing against first team defense. The only guy worth a damn that was ever in the box last night was Cunningham. Something to keep in mind when building a player up that you didn't even see play.

Somehow, I knew you were going to mention that but these are rookies you are talking about. These aren't 10 year vets that have past NFL experience to look back on and say "hey, I remember the time I... (fill in the blank)." Rookies have to look back on past college experience and never has a quarterback been under so much pressure and scrutiny in college than Cam Newton in the last decade. Cam's college experiences will only help him in the NFL.

Preface this: Said two teams met year before in championship and big dog cheated using illegal footballs and their only punishment was no home games in following years playoffs. Bad blood between two teams.

It was the CIF SS Division II championship game. One team was ranked #2 in the nation and the other team had won 11 straight to get to this point. One team loaded with division one talent the other littered with guys too small and slow to make it. One team had shirts already made stating 56-0 for their streak dating a few years back, one team practiced night and day to know everything about their opponents. One team from the OC, the other from a school with a mixed population, hispanic and white. A DB for the underdogs was getting hounded by his coaches all week that he wasn't good enough to cover the D1 prospect and all around amazing athlete that the big boys had. They thought about benching him or moving his responsibilities before the biggest game of the year. How would he respond? His team, his school, his valley was counting on him to show up. He was nervous all week. How could he, a DIII walk on at best cover a future Fiesta Bowl MVP?

Game time comes and underdogs get off to great start. Big run for 6!!!!!!!! Crowd goes wild. Out comes the team destined for greatness on offense. Underdogs hold strong. Game goes on, still close. Said DB is feeling the moment and the pressure build. Said DB sees future NFL QB eyeballing the dig route and jumps it. Collision with receiver and ball pops in air, corner gets interception. Big play made!!!!!!!!!one!!!!

Game is getting later, pressure still building. Defense in cover 2 look, offense in a 4 receiver set. Inside receiver to said DBs side runs a slant, outside receiver runs a stop and go, corner bites, safety tries to fly over but it's goign to be close... DB and Fiesta Bowl MVP both go up for the ball (an accurate throw by QB would have been completion) and D3 walkon outmuscles D1 star for football and a game changing interception!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Underdog wins game in the end and everyone is happy.

Talk about pressure right. Pretty sure that same guy could handle the pressure of an NFL game considering how he responded in the aforementioned rivalry game.

Read that poo, mutherfuggers

Archived