• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mallett/Gabbert/Cam/Ponder/Locker

TheRealDeal

Gabbert has best chance of starting(Garrad is probably not going to last the season imo).

Mallet can crazy glue the clipboard to his hands and take off his shoulder pads.

Ponder won't start over McNabb this year.

Locker the same.

I agree with TRD that Newton will have more pressure to perform. Hell he has only been in training camp 11 days and a bad practice and people here tear him apart. Add to the fact that he is in a legitimate battle with Clausen for the starting position. Being the number one draft pick. The questions about his readiness. Being a lightning rod for either praise or scorn across the nation, if he doesn't perform well yes ESPN and their top notch reporting is going to tear him down. Not to mention the "game film" reviewers on this board. :)

However if he does play well, then the Cam lovers will decimate Jimmy. He will be booed mercilessly even on completions and Steve Smith with spike his cactus cooler with strychnine.

ya he had a bad practice but where did the people that were at camp tear him up? Honesty sucks I guess

Gabbert has best chance of starting(Garrad is probably not going to last the season imo).

Mallet can crazy glue the clipboard to his hands and take off his shoulder pads.

Ponder won't start over McNabb this year.

Locker the same.

I agree with TRD that Newton will have more pressure to perform. Hell he has only been in training camp 11 days and a bad practice and people here tear him apart. Add to the fact that he is in a legitimate battle with Clausen for the starting position. Being the number one draft pick. The questions about his readiness. Being a lightning rod for either praise or scorn across the nation, if he doesn't perform well yes ESPN and their top notch reporting is going to tear him down. Not to mention the "game film" reviewers on this board. :)

However if he does play well, then the Cam lovers will decimate Jimmy. He will be booed mercilessly even on completions and Steve Smith with spike his cactus cooler with strychnine.

In all honesty, Cam shouldn't be treated any different than Sam Bradford did last year but it's clear the ESPN's of our media wanted Blaine and not Cam as their NFL ready QB like they did with Sam over The Golden Calf of Bristol. Hence all the over-scrutinzing that has being going on.

In all honesty, Cam shouldn't be treated any different than Sam Bradford did last year but it's clear the ESPN's of our media wanted Blaine and not Cam as their NFL ready QB like they did with Sam over The Golden Calf of Bristol. Hence all the over-scrutinzing that has being going on.

Well, Sam was NFL ready over The Golden Calf of Bristol and Cam is a huge project so draw your own conclusions.

Either they are right and know more than you or it's a huge conspiracy by the man...which sounds more likely (Last night's burn notice FTW! but this time it's opposite of the shows answer)

I wouldn't use Sam vs The Golden Calf of Bristol as a way to prove your point, as the media was right on that. Sam has showed that he was the more NFL ready QB. This year the media actually talked about both Blaine and Cam needing much development, and neither really being NFL ready.

Sooner or later Cam will see an episode of NFL live when the talk about the rookie QBs performances in preseason. Hopefully they have good things to say about him but if they don't, and if he's legitimately getting out performed by Mallet and Locker and Gabbert, how does he respond?

He's never not been the man before, it'll be an interesting dynamic

Let's be real, Cam couldn't play any worst than Gabbert did last night. I mean, did he even get a td. Mallett was always seen as the most accurate QB. So one shouldn't be surprised by what he did. It wasn't his talent that sunk his draft pick, it was his attitude.

And what do you mean "He's never not been the man before?" You sound a bit perturbed by Cam's success so far. What, did he not earn it in your mind?:)

Here is my two cents, as I decided to watch the game online.

I don't think Cam will feel pressure from others as much as he will feel pressure from himself. One can tell from Cam's college days that he puts an abundance of pressure on himself, which can either help or hurt the particular player. I personally think it helps Cam based on all of the experiences that he has gone through at Florida, Blinn, Auburn, and the NCAA investigations. I think the future will be bright for Cam as long as he keeps putting that pressure on himself to be great, and "keeps his head on the swivel."

Grades for Rookie QB's

Ryan Mallet, New England Patriots (Grade: A+): I don't care who Mallet was playing against, the kid flat out came to play. Mallet went 12 of 19 for 164 yards and one touchdown. He also had an average completion of 8.6 yards, indicating that every pass he connected on had the Patriots in contention to pick up a first down. Mallet also recorded a 108.2 rating. Mallet showed great awareness in the pocket as he scrambled around for a measly two yards on five carries. Even though those two yards don't look like much, those two yards were the difference between at least two sacks as Mallet was able to avoid pressure time after time and was not brought down in the backfield even once. I think New England may have found a quarterback competition of the future with Ryan Mallet and Brian Hoyer.

Blaine Gabbert, Jacksonville Jaguars (Grade: C): I may get ridiculed for this grade as some may feel it is to low, but I personally did not really like the way Gabbert performed. Gabbert looked shaky and confused in the pocket on nearly every drop back. He went 9 of 16 for 85 yards with no touchdowns. He had an average completion of 5.3 yards and a 71.1 rating. A lot of Gabbert's passes reminded me of Jimmy Clausen last year, very short passes with most of the yardage coming from the run after. I can only recall one pass that Gabbert threw that really stood out to me, and that was the 15 yarder to Jordan Hill when he threaded the needle between three Patriot players. Besides that, I did not really see anything to special about him. He held on to the ball way to long in the pocket and was dropped three different times for huge losses of seven yards (twice) and nine yards. I just didn't see anything that stood out to me that says "above average," which is why I gave Blaine Gabbert an average score.

I wouldn't use Sam vs The Golden Calf of Bristol as a way to prove your point, as the media was right on that. Sam has showed that he was the more NFL ready QB. This year the media actually talked about both Blaine and Cam needing much development, and neither really being NFL ready.

I guess you weren't paying attention to NFLN. Where Mike Mayock stated, "Blaine is the most NFL ready QB in this years draft." IMO, the media was always aligning Blaine with Cam when it came to all the positive attention Cam was receving.

But in all honesty, if one pay to much attention to those so called "football gurus," you ended up with a bad case of whiplash for how quickly they could change their minds.

I don't think Cam will feel pressure from others as much as he will feel pressure from himself. One can tell from Cam's college days that he puts an abundance of pressure on himself, which can either help or hurt the particular player. I personally think it helps Cam based on all of the experiences that he has gone through at Florida, Blinn, Auburn, and the NCAA investigations. I think the future will be bright for Cam as long as he keeps putting that pressure on himself to be great, and "keeps his head on the swivel."

Grades for Rookie QB's

Ryan Mallet, New England Patriots (Grade: A+): I don't care who Mallet was playing against, the kid flat out came to play. Mallet went 12 of 19 for 164 yards and one touchdown. He also had an average completion of 8.6 yards, indicating that every pass he connected on had the Patriots in contention to pick up a first down. Mallet also recorded a 108.2 rating. Mallet showed great awareness in the pocket as he scrambled around for a measly two yards on five carries. Even though those two yards don't look like much, those two yards were the difference between at least two sacks as Mallet was able to avoid pressure time after time and was not brought down in the backfield even once. I think New England may have found a quarterback competition of the future with Ryan Mallet and Brian Hoyer.

Blaine Gabbert, Jacksonville Jaguars (Grade: C): I may get ridiculed for this grade as some may feel it is to low, but I personally did not really like the way Gabbert performed. Gabbert looked shaky and confused in the pocket on nearly every drop back. He went 9 of 16 for 85 yards with no touchdowns. He had an average completion of 5.3 yards and a 71.1 rating. A lot of Gabbert's passes reminded me of Jimmy Clausen last year, very short passes with most of the yardage coming from the run after. I can only recall one pass that Gabbert threw that really stood out to me, and that was the 15 yarder to Jordan Hill when he threaded the needle between three Patriot players. Besides that, I did not really see anything to special about him. He held on to the ball way to long in the pocket and was dropped three different times for huge losses of seven yards (twice) and nine yards. I just didn't see anything that stood out to me that says "above average," which is why I gave Blaine Gabbert an average score.

I can tell someone else actually watched the games....

I agree 100% with these grades. I could've even gone C- with Gabbert

I guess you weren't paying attention to NFLN. Where Mike Mayock stated, "Blaine is the most NFL ready QB in this years draft." IMO, the media was always aligning Blaine with Cam when it came to all the positive attention Cam was receving.

But in all honesty, if one pay to much attention to those so called "football gurus," you ended up with a bad case of whiplash for how quickly they could change their minds.

Most NFL ready, doesn't mean NFL ready...

It's like saying Jimmy is most ready to be a starter this year compared to Charlie Whitehurst, Brady Quinn, and Troy Smith. Just because I say he's the most, doesn;t really mean he's NFL starter ready.

Like I said, the point was made that the media as a whole, and as a whole they pretty much said both were going to be more project type QB's.... Actually said Cam could probably do better early by relying on his athleticism.

Sooner or later Cam will see an episode of NFL live when the talk about the rookie QBs performances in preseason. Hopefully they have good things to say about him but if they don't, and if he's legitimately getting out performed by Mallet and Locker and Gabbert, how does he respond?

He's never not been the man before, it'll be an interesting dynamic

Even those analysts will probably keep everything in the preseason context, as being like a warm-up.

I think there might be a little pressure there, to perform.

Gabbart and Mallet have had equal preparation time as Cam, and both made some nice throws.

Gabbart took way too many sacks and held onto the ball too long. He was also seeing better competition from the defense, compared to Mallet. But he did well, all things considered.

Mallet did very well, led the offense to multiple touchdowns, and was set up with good field position. He showed poise, and delivered the ball quickly. Again, he was against 2nd or 3rd stringers.

I think the Pats got a steal in the Draft with Mallet. I presume they will trade him away or bring him up to be Brady's replacement? Time will tell, but if they send Mallet in with the 1st team in the next preseason game, that will give a better indication of how he is progressing.

Anyway, I'm sure there is a little pressure there, but I predict Cam will have better numbers than Gabbart, and against the Giants 2nd or 3rd stringers, he should be able to be mobile and extend some plays. He may make some rookie mistakes, but nothing to get overly concerned about.

GL Cam!

Grades for Rookie QB's

Not really one to judge without seeing for myself but not having a chance to see the game last night, I would say by many of the reviews I saw so far about Blaine's game, your C is about right. Very few articles I saw had Blaine above average or average. One ever went as far as calling his game "sound." And another stated that David Garrard's job "was safe."

Archived