• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mallett/Gabbert/Cam/Ponder/Locker

TheRealDeal

okay, define the type draft that would have made us a playoff team vs. a garbage team that we now are?

with actual players who were drafted........

Ok I will bite, what realistic scenario in the draft would have made us a playoff team this year?

There were a lot of different possibilities.

An impact DT or two.

An impact WR.

By not drafting a QB #1, you are more attractive to a veteran with some ability to play. Having Cam eliminated any possibility of a real QB coming here (and now we have DA) to compete for the job because they know it's just a matter of time.

I felt this team has the talent to win now but we just took a step backwards with a rookie QB. THIS IS NOT A SLIGHT TO CAM, ANY ROOKIE QB WOULD HAVE BEEN A STEP BACKWARDS!.

I feel when we are ready to compete, a lot of guys will be past their prime and we'll have Cam in his prime, if he gets there, and no other proven talent to back him up.

The FO decided we were rebuilding, which is fine, so I've lowered my expectations accordingly.

This is all personal opinion, I'm not saying I'm right, this is just how I feel.

There were a lot of different possibilities.

An impact DT or two.

An impact WR.

By not drafting a QB #1, you are more attractive to a veteran with some ability to play. Having Cam eliminated any possibility of a real QB coming here (and now we have DA) to compete for the job because they know it's just a matter of time.

I felt this team has the talent to win now but we just took a step backwards with a rookie QB. THIS IS NOT A SLIGHT TO CAM, ANY ROOKIE QB WOULD HAVE BEEN A STEP BACKWARDS!.

I feel when we are ready to compete, a lot of guys will be past their prime and we'll have Cam in his prime, if he gets there, and no other proven talent to back him up.

The FO decided we were rebuilding, which is fine, so I've lowered my expectations accordingly.

This is all personal opinion, I'm not saying I'm right, this is just how I feel.

What vet QB was out there to attract? I mean you are saying we could of been a playoff team if we ignored QB in the draft and did what? Bring in Matt Hasselback?

also, if you look at SD or Clev while Chud was there the #2 WR simply doesn't play that huge of a role......

The NFL has proven in recent history if you have a TEAM ready to win (which you basically imply Car was a rookie DT away from).....then you don't need great QB play to be a playoff team. Matt Ryan, Sanchez, Flacco.....all as rookies weren't great nor were some of them the other years they made the postseason. There is a laundry list of teams who make the playoffs w/ average QB play.

Not buying what you are selling that we are a playoff team not drafting Cam and are out of the picture drafting him.....

Those QBs were all better than every QB in this draft coming out. More polished and an ability to step in and play right away.

The #1 pick in this draft is a well known PROJECT. This was talked about as the worst QB class in years.

I agree you need average QB play, I don't believe we will get that.

I still think we are subpar at corner, DT, WR especially that Gettis is gone, and the right side of our line could be fuged.

Those QBs were all better than every QB in this draft coming out. More polished and an ability to step in and play right away.

The #1 pick in this draft is a well known PROJECT. This was talked about as the worst QB class in years.

I still think we are subpar at corner, DT, WR especially that Gettis is gone, and the right side of our line could be fuged.

We have no clue what we will get from Cam this year.....could easily be average overall QB play as we have seen many rookies provide that in recent history (with various backgrounds, resumes, and questions).

VY was a project QB....he was also a Pro Bowler and winning QB as a rookie. That didn't mean he wasn't still a project and in need of tons of work. Cam's ceiling is just about as high as it gets....which makes your hating on him before any real footage of him playing is just downright silly.

Still don't get how an old vet out of his prime = playoffs....and Cam = disaster. There is a reason Seattle didn't retain Hasselbeck.......it ain't b/c they had loads of talent to play with. You can focus on the playoff game all you want but Hasselbeck isn't an insert and win QB....

also keep in mind, we are NOT done adding to this team. Could easily find some guys cut who make nice 1 yr additions...

I don't think Cam has given any thought at all to how other rookie QBs are performing. I'm quite sure he has plenty to worry about that actually matters about his own team and learning curve. What is happening on someone else's team probably has only the smallest of chances of popping up on his radar.

U guys getting Patrick Peterson?....I guess.

We now seeing how that's turning out but it's still quite early.

Well, it's too early to tell, PLUS Wisenhunt isnt known for starting rookies too soon

What vet QB was out there to attract? I mean you are saying we could of been a playoff team if we ignored QB in the draft and did what? Bring in Matt Hasselback?

i have to agree with CRA, what vet QB was out there to attract??? now i admit, i didnt want Cam either, i was one of few who always liked Locker best, but there isnt much vets out there that could take them to the playoffs. Hasselbeck is injury prone and isnt the same, McNabb stunk in Washington and doesnt look as if he will ever be as good as he was and Young isnt mature enough to be a starter yet.

More polished and the ability to step in right away are also 2 different debates.

also, we haven't seen enough of Cam to say either way. Cam looks just as ready if not more ready than Clausen was.....who was allegedly the most pro ready QB of the last draft. Being "polished" often doesn't mean anything.......

Fitting a system and having a smart coaching staff is the ultimate factor......it ultimately is gonna to make or break a rookie QB being ready to step in. Don't know enough about Cam to make that judgement.

I don't think guys like Sanchez or Flacco were "more" ready to step in than a guy like Cam.....we don't know yet.

You are making assumptions about how Cam is panning out before there is anything for us to make assumptions about.

What we know about Cam thus far is Cam vs. NY. All things considered, he looked ahead of anywhere most thought he would be at that point......which is a good thing.

I don't think guys like Sanchez or Flacco were "more" ready to step in than a guy like Cam.....we don't know yet.

You are making assumptions about how Cam is panning out before there is anything for us to make assumptions about.

What we know about Cam thus far is Cam vs. NY. All things considered, he looked ahead of anywhere most thought he would be at that point......which is a good thing.

I think they were, my opinion, I don't want to argue it.

Not panning out, just for this year. Cam could be the best QB on the planet in 3-4 years, but I also think a lot of our talent will be wasted by then.

You have to remember that those other two QBs, besides Ryan, had elite, elite level defenses.

Now the Ravens are falling off and Flacco isn't anything special, coincidence?

They were both more ready to play in the NFL than Cam was, but Cam has the ability to be better than both of them combined.

I thought we wanted to win now, we want to be contenders in the future, which is fine it just is a different direction with different moves.

Not panning out, just for this year. Cam could be the best QB on the planet in 3-4 years, but I also think a lot of our talent will be wasted by then.

You have to remember that those other two QBs, besides Ryan, had elite, elite level defenses.

They were both more ready to play in the NFL than Cam was, but Cam has the ability to be better than both of them combined.

I thought we wanted to win now, we want to be contenders in the future, which is fine it just is a different direction with different moves.

I just guess maybe what I feel is a top level QB and what you think is a top level QB are two different things.

If you think Flacco, Ryan, and Big Ben are average or not top level QBs then it would be hard for anyone to live up to your standards not named Brady or Manning. Not attacking you (at least this time :D) but how do you determine what is a good QB?

And I think we have one of the youngest rosters in the NFL. If it takes Cam 3-4 years I think a lot of our other talent will be right there with him.

I said we were a playoff team if we had a good draft.

My expectations were sky high before the draft, pretty low now.

First, I was talking about expectations for Cam. You know he isnt that great, but yet, your expectations are thru the roof.

I think our draft was good, but probably wont lead us to the playoffs this year. I think you left out a lot off of that first sentence, which should have an "and" to continue on with a great free agent class. Most new coaches with a top 5 overall pick usually select a QB, which they live or die with. Regardless, we needed a QB and either overpay for an old Hassleback, Delhomme or trade and oversign for McNabb. Or get buttraped by the eagles for Kolb. None of those sound like great long term options to me.

most teams in the NFL will be relying on different talent overall 4 yrs down the road.

again, there is nothing yet to legitimately say Flacco or Sanchez were more ready. Sanchez hasn't been impressive.....his team around him has. Put Sanchez on a bad team and he likely could already be on his way out of the league b/c of the hole he started in. Flacco also played against inferior competition heading into the league.......hard to argue he was more pro ready than Cam is.

You thought we wanted to win now? We aren't the NE Patriots. We just hired a new HC, new OC, new DC....are coming off a season prior where we cut a lot of vets and went with a youth movement. We are VERY talented but Carolina isn't nor has implied this season is a "win now" type season.....it is a build up to get into that mode.....and that is why starting Cam now makes sense. To let him start to build himself.

If Cam progresses and is who Carolina thinks he is....Carolina could be in win now mode in 1-2 years.

I just guess maybe what I feel is a top level QB and what you think is a top level QB are two different things.

If you think Flacco, Ryan, and Big Ben are average or not top level QBs then it would be hard for anyone to live up to your standards not named Brady or Manning. Not attacking you (at least this time :D) but how do you determine what is a good QB?

And I think we have one of the youngest rosters in the NFL. If it takes Cam 3-4 years I think a lot of our other talent will be right there with him.

We have a young roster, but not all the young players are that talented. Beason, Gross, Smith, Anderson, Gamble, Otah, D Will, etc are all older and or have injuries that could limit their PT and production in the future.

I'm not ready to say LaFell and Armanti will easily replace those guys.

Flacco is clearly average.

Ryan is good.

Big Ben is good.

I've talked about how I evaluate QBs a lot on here, made threads where I rated every QB in the league into Elite/Good/Game Manager/Bad categories.

Reality is most are just game managers.

Archived