• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mallett/Gabbert/Cam/Ponder/Locker

TheRealDeal

Mallet - looks good in camp has a great arm has looked the best

(Future) will be starter in 2 years when they trade or get rid of brady, will probably become best of this draft class

Newton- inconsistent but show flashes of greatness

(Future) hard to tell can become like big ben or be a wash out in 5 years

Gabbert- looked good in camp but inconsistent too, better speed then giving credit

(Future) Another boom or bust player, needs better WRs and if accuracy gets better can be great

Ponder- looks good in camp against back ups lacks arm strength

(Future) I think he'll become the second coming of K. Orton does nothing great but is consistent

LOcker- looks bad in camp accuracy is still a problem

(Future) will become T. Edward will get 2 years as a starter then become a back up for the rest of his career

Kaepernick look great early in camp but when they got more in depth of the playbook start to throw alot of INT

(Future) Can become a strong arm version of J. Freeman only problem is will 9ers tank the year so coach can draft his wonder boy Luck(bad at reading D and looks uncomfortable under center

Dalton- looks the best in camp out of all QB( lately in camp throwing alot of INT

(Future) he's either going to become D. Brees like or if he gets hit to much D. Carr

<SPECIAL BONUS QB>

Luck (Future) Will get drafted by the Bills and end up becoming T. Couch( a Good player on a Extremely bad Team and wash out of the league

I'm excited to see both Cam and Jimmy's progressions, and i think it's totally reasonable to be disappointed in someones performance in preseason if they underperform. But I'm not going to judge the season for either of the guys based on the two or three series' they will get in this game.

Given that people's complaints about drafting newton were that it was going to take 2 or 3 years for him to learn the offense and contribute, it is interesting howe those expectations have accelerated by warp speed. Now the question is raised about how much pressure should he feel if he isn't the best rookie in his first preseason game. And you suggest that you would be disappointed if he doesn't do well by the end of preseason.

Based on expectations at the beginning of the draft season versus now, Newton has progressed so much further that this type of question is even being raised. Folks who would even suggest Newton was going to be the starter week one of the season were largely ridiculed.

Here's a question... will the coaches unleash cam or tell him to play it safe which has been the case in practice. Will he be allowed to make plays with his legs or tell him to focus on making his reads.

I am sure they will tell him to pick and choose his spots, but run if its the best option. That being said, we know he can run. The objective in preseason should be to see how well he can learn to pass in the NFL, so it wouldn't bother me a bit if they do keep him on a leash to an extent. Then if they want to unleash him during a regular season game, thats ok.

I'd like to see Cam play at least 2 quarters tonight. He needs to play with the first team guys as long a possible too. Cam needs to get used to the speed of the NFL and all that.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Cam either run for a TD or throw a TD pass. He's going to try his best to make a good first impression for Panther Nation tonight.

(Future) will be starter in 2 years when they trade or get rid of brady, will probably become best of this draft class

Gabbert- looked good in camp but inconsistent too, better speed then giving credit

(Future) Another boom or bust player, needs better WRs and if accuracy gets better can be great

(Future) I think he'll become the second coming of K. Orton does nothing great but is consistent

(Future) will become T. Edward will get 2 years as a starter then become a back up for the rest of his career

Kaepernick look great early in camp but when they got more in depth of the playbook start to throw alot of INT

(Future) Can become a strong arm version of J. Freeman only problem is will 9ers tank the year so coach can draft his wonder boy Luck(bad at reading D and looks uncomfortable under center

Dalton- looks the best in camp out of all QB( lately in camp throwing alot of INT

(Future) he's either going to become D. Brees like or if he gets hit to much D. Carr

<SPECIAL BONUS QB>

Luck (Future) Will get drafted by the Bills and end up becoming T. Couch( a Good player on a Extremely bad Team and wash out of the league

how come Cam is the only one who will be out of the league in five years if he isn't successful?

I'm sure Peyton was glad the internet wasn't filled with so many furtune-tellers when he was a rookie.

I will let these kids do their thing and predict in about a year or so. Way to early to judge any of them.

<SPECIAL BONUS QB>

ok, first off, i cant see Mallett starting in 2 years, i see him starting either on another team or taking over when Brady is gone which could be 5 years. Newton is a boom or bust player, i think Gabbert isnt though. Ponder reminds me of Pennington, i think Jake Locker could be the surprise in the draft, Kaepernick, dont know, Dalton will start sooner, i predict him to be average and as for Luck, i agree he goes to a bad team, i predict, Buffalo, Washington, Denver or Seattle. i would LOVE him in Washington, but i see them being 5 and 11 or 6 and 10 and being out of the Luck sweepstakes. for some reason (if Pryor comes out) i see him being a Bill. i think Luck ends up in Seattle or Denver. As for Tim Couch, i can NOT compare Luck to Couch. Luck is so much more talented than Couch. Couch came out of a pass happy offense and wasnt as good as people thought.

ok, first off, i cant see Mallett starting in 2 years, i see him starting either on another team or taking over when Brady is gone which could be 5 years. Newton is a boom or bust player, i think Gabbert isnt though. Ponder reminds me of Pennington, i think Jake Locker could be the surprise in the draft, Kaepernick, dont know, Dalton will start sooner, i predict him to be average and as for Luck, i agree he goes to a bad team, i predict, Buffalo, Washington, Denver or Seattle. i would LOVE him in Washington, but i see them being 5 and 11 or 6 and 10 and being out of the Luck sweepstakes. for some reason (if Pryor comes out) i see him being a Bill. i think Luck ends up in Seattle or Denver. As for Tim Couch, i can NOT compare Luck to Couch. Luck is so much more talented than Couch. Couch came out of a pass happy offense and wasnt as good as people thought.

With Mallet lets say 3 years after his Rookie contract ends , he resigns and starts. brady will be 37 and if Montana,Unitas, Farve ,Namath can lose their jobs to younger guyz i think brady can too.

Gabbert needs help at WR and in the next 2 years will have a new coach and i new system to learn, Gabberts going to need time to develop

Pondors going to be above average nothing special.

Locker sometimes looks like a right handed S. Young other times looks like R. grossman, seems like a QB that will throw 4 TDs one week and the next week throws 4 INT

Kaepernick looks like a 6'5 M. vick, but with only 4.4 speed, his problem is he played in the pistol and a weak conference , he's going to need3-4 years , but probable wont get it

dalton could be great , but in the end he's on the bengals and they havent been good since boomer was their QB( will get a new coach and nobody wants to play there ( only the Raiders are managed worse) but i'm pulling for him and Green

the problem with this draft class is that every QB needs time, but with shorter contracts, and the recent success of other rookie QBs the past few years none are going to get it , but Mallet. By year 2 all of them will have to start, but Mallet and i think most wont be ready

With Mallet lets say 3 years after his Rookie contract ends , he resigns and starts. brady will be 37 and if Montana,Unitas, Farve ,Namath can lose their jobs to younger guyz i think brady can too.

Gabbert needs help at WR and in the next 2 years will have a new coach and i new system to learn, Gabberts going to need time to develop

Pondors going to be above average nothing special.

Locker sometimes looks like a right handed S. Young other times looks like R. grossman

Kaepernick looks like a 6'5 M. vick, but with only 4.4 speed, his problem is he played in the pistol and a weak conference , he's going to need3-4 years , but probable wont get it

dalton could be great , but in the end he's on the bengals and they havent been good since boomer was their QB( will get a new coach and nobody wants to play there ( only the Raiders are managed worse) but i'm pulling for him and Green

the problem with this draft class is that every QB needs time, but with shorter contracts, and the recent success of other rookie QBs the past few years none are going to get it , but Mallet. By year 2 all of them will have to start, but Mallet and i think most wont be ready

i have to see Brady's contract to see what happens. i just dont think Mallett takes Brady's job unless Brady flat out stinks it up. i dont know about Kaepernick, i need to see him more, i didnt know much about him in college, i AGREE that the Jaguars need a WR, but i still think Gabbert reminds me a tad bit of Bradford, if he has a WR he could be good and i can NOT compare Locker to Grossman because Grossman isnt mobile like Locker is, maybe another player who was mobile and had a bad arm, but not Grossman.

LOcker is physical better i just meant as a hot and cold QB(ANother EX. Mark Rypien wins superbowl 2 years later gets cut)will show you a few great game then look horrible

Every player is expendable when they get older i don't see brady ending his career in NE( look what they did with Branch, Law, Seymour, Wilford, Moss)

LOcker is physical better i just meant as a hot and cold QB(ANother EX. Mark Rypien wins superbowl 2 years later gets cut)will show you a few great game then look horrible

Every player is expendable when they get older i don't see brady ending his career in NE( look what they did with Branch, Law, Seymour, Wilford, Moss)

i dont see him ending his career in NE either, but i think he finishes out the contract that he has or will get.

I didn't read this whole thread, but I watched all of our game, and every play of Jake Locker's. I got killed for ranking him as the 2nd best player in the draft, but he looked alot better than Cam did tonight. Both played against 2nd teamers (and with 2nd teamers, that has an effect), and while Cam looked "ok" in my opinion, Locker looks special. Mallett looks pretty good as well.

It's preseason, but I'm having a good time laughing at the criticisms of the above QBs not named Cam by members of this board.

Archived