• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just some thoughts on our current NT situation

Fiz

Okay so Edwards is done for the year and that's a big blow. He was an amazingly productive player for KC over the years and every Chiefs fan I've talked to expressed sadness that he was both gone and injured. He was your typical Hurney FA signing; productive, under the radar, and cheap.

Just flipping through this forum I see a lot of people bemoaning our lack of a "NT." I want to get you people over this. Far too often I see people analyzing the current or future Panthers from within a very strict spectrum of characteristics. I'm not going to provide specific examples but I think you all know what I'm talking about.

"Well, we need a big guy in the middle and a small quick guy beside him. The big guy has to take up 2 blockers to free up the little guy. Also the defensive ends do something I dunno"

this is a very simplistic view of modern day football and isn't relevant.

I've made a thread with the following information before but I'm going to do it again.

What's a two gap v. one gap defensive tackle?

The quick and easy way to describe it is this. If you're watching from the press box behind the defense, you'll be able to read the name on a 2 gap DT's jersey, and you won't be able to on a 1 gap. This is primarily determined by body type. It takes a very specific player to do this (width is the main concern) and there aren't many good ones in the NFL. After QB and DE, they're arguably the most sought after players.

That does not mean you need one of them.

What is a technique?

Fancy way of saying "where do you line up?" A zero technique lines up right over the Center, and it goes out from there, with two numbers per gap.

DLine_Tech_medium.JPG

this just impacts how you play the game and how you attack the QB/RB. It goes from 0 all the way out to "Florida State Defensive End."

Don't get too caught up in this.

Oh fug we don't have a great two technique

Well most teams don't. There's different ways to generate pressure.

Another thing posters here need to disabuse themselves from is the notion that you have to have a fat guy to take up two players, or disrupt the offensive line. This is very much not the case.

Dallas, for example, plays Jay Ratliff at NT. Weighing in at less that 285, he's smaller than forums poster Jangler, but is one of the most disruptive at his position in the league. He does this by excelling as a one technique DT. He's so quick off the snap, so powerful, and so fast, he forces offensive lines to commit two players to him. He's not the ideal size or height, but he's effective as poo. Who cares how big he is?

so are you going to give us reason to be hopeful?

Yeah, kinda. The Panthers have a gaggle of people that won't turn any heads as of yet, but I seem to remember a pretty good 2nd round defensive tackle that absolutely blew the fug up in 2002 after his sleep apnea was diagnosed. If you can be inventive and utilize your players strengths, you can overcome size deficiencies in the middle. Remember, taking up two blockers can be just as effective against the run as blowing up the running lane before the play develops.

Apparently Zod is very high on Terrell McClain. Take his word for it, not mine. I haven't seen him take a snap yet, but be hopeful if that's your thing.

Just don't think that the absence of Edwards immediately precludes us from ever tackling a running back. there are ways around this and a smart DC can orchestrate them.

The Panthers have a gaggle of people that won't turn any heads as of yet, but I seem to remember a pretty good 3rd round defensive tackle that absolutely blew the fug up in 2002 after his sleep apnea was diagnosed.

Excellent post. Small correction...KJ was a 2nd rounder.

Archived