• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam's accuracy

personal_foul

Not completion rating, good grades.

Completion % is useless to me when looking at a micro level.

That's my point, no one is 95%, not even on all of their completions is 95% a reasonable number.

Vick almost ruined Cooper's career but he got a completion and a big gain. Stats look bomby dot commy but it wasn't a good throw.

95% good plays.

I bet you guys think that pass Vick threw to Riley Cooper last night was accurate too even though it almost got his leg broken and took away a TD from Cooper that he earned.

I bet 95% of the eagles fans didn't care.

Thank you for proving my point sir.

Most of you are too result oriented that you can't truly analyze a player or play.

"Well it worked out so that's all that matters" ...until it doesn't work out in a big moment and you wonder why.

What point are you trying to prove? That results don't matter in football games? Do we ignore the fact that Michael Vick bought time on that play and effortlessly flicked the ball 40 yards down the field with defenders closing in?

I get what you are trying to say but your putting 95% to much emphasis on it:D. Does the fact that Vick's pass 40 YARDS down the field was slightly under thrown negate the fact that it was a good play and an oustanding catch?

No it doesn't, but it also doesn't make it a good throw. Good overall play, poor throw.

What if Cooper catches it, breaks his femur and never plays again? Still good play? Stat sheet shows that it is?

What if that play is at the end of a half and they end up losing the game by 6. Still a good play? If it's thrown a few feet further it's an easy TD.

So much of the success in the NFL is situational that focusing on end results is meaningless when discussing individual aspects of a players game.

Sure, Jimmy's TD pass to Stew was a 55 Yard TD pass, looks great on paper. But in any other situation that ball is likely picked and at worst knocked down. Are we supposed to be happy with that because that 1 play was a TD when he missed COUNTLESS other opportunities throughout the year because he can't throw it deep?

No it doesn't, but it also doesn't make it a good throw. Good overall play, poor throw.

This is where there will forever be an argument. That wasn't a poor throw, a poor throw is picked off, a poor throw is intercepted, a poor throw was incomplete. That was a good throw because it was caught. Could it have been thrown better? Yes. However he could have thrown it farther and the receiver making that extra step could have blown out his ACL and never played again. Both could result in a player not playing again. Does that make it different? Or does the fact that he scored a touchdown negate the fact the player got hurt?:D

Take this for example. If a quarterback fits a ball in between three defenders and it's caught its "threading the needle". If a quarterback tries to fit a ball in between three defenders and it's intercepted then it's "forcing" the ball. The difference could be half a second but the results are entirely different.

Thank you for proving my point sir.

Most of you are too result oriented that you can't truly analyze a player or play.

"Well it worked out so that's all that matters" ...until it doesn't work out in a big moment and you wonder why.

What if Cooper catches it, breaks his femur and never plays again? Still good play? Stat sheet shows that it is?

What if that play is at the end of a half and they end up losing the game by 6. Still a good play? If it's thrown a few feet further it's an easy TD.

So much of the success in the NFL is situational that focusing on end results is meaningless when discussing individual aspects of a players game.

Sure, Jimmy's TD pass to Stew was a 55 Yard TD pass, looks great on paper. But in any other situation that ball is likely picked and at worst knocked down. Are we supposed to be happy with that because that 1 play was a TD when he missed COUNTLESS other opportunities throughout the year because he can't throw it deep?

I'm not sure what all your other post in this thread are about, but I will say this is 100% on the money.

To often we judge individual plays or performances by outcome. I believe there are times when a INT may have actually been a better play than a TD.

If a QB throws a great pass that either the WR messed up, or a defender just made a excellent play, I don't take away from the QB. Though the outcome wasn;t favorable, he made a good play.

At the same time a QB can throw up a bad pass, get lucky, and score a 70 yard TD bomb.... doesn;t mean it was a good play by the QB, he just had a good outcome...

But over time talent will play out, and we will find out what is what....

This is where there will forever be an argument. That wasn't a poor throw, a poor throw is picked off, a poor throw is intercepted, a poor throw was incomplete. That was a good throw because it was caught. Could it have been thrown better? Yes. However he could have thrown it farther and the receiver making that extra step could have blown out his ACL and never played again. Both could result in a player not playing again. Does that make it different? Or does the fact that he scored a touchdown negate the fact the player got hurt?:D

First, what's the difference between picked off and intercepted? Are you saying all incomplete passes are poor throws?

Results oriented. Get out of that mindset.

Plenty of good throws are incomplete and some are even intercepted. Sometimes defenders make good plays or receivers drop balls or what have you. It's not about the result, it's about the actual throw.

A good throw can happen on an out route or comeback. Throwing the ball to where only the receiver can get it is often times incomplete but it doesn't mean it's a bad throw. Throwing it low on a comeback is often times a good throw but the receiver might not be able to cradle it and it falls incomplete.

We're just on different levels of analysis, which is fine. You want to argue the result of the play and backtrack to it's parts. Result = good;All parts must be good when that's not always the case.

This is about Cam's accuracy, not the result of the plays where Cam throws the football.

Another perfect example of this is running backs out of the backfield. You want to hit them in stride in the direction they are going so they can make a play after the catch.

Often times they have to jump, stop, or completely turn around allowing the defense to close in. Sure it's a completion and a 3 yard gain but if you hit them in stride it's a first down.

Another example, Moore's throw to King in the Giants? game. Play resulted in TD, terrible ball.

Maybe if you explain to me how that was a "poor" throw I could see your point better. However taking into consideration the entire play to me that was a good throw.

1. QB scrambling out of pocket

2. Under pressure.

3. Pass is high to 6'3" reciever

4. Resulted in completion

Archived