• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam's accuracy

personal_foul

Guest Spot On Dtan

You don't need elite accuracy when you can bomb it 75 yards downfield.

And he was like 66% in college, so why's it matter?

MV7, the God of Football, smiles on Cam Newton

Is anyone else concerned about Cam's accuracy? When has a QB ever entered the NFL with below average accuracy for a QB at the NFL level and turned into a dynamic passer? Accuracy is something that shouldn't be a question for a #1 draft pick. I've seen posts comparing him to Vick and Steve Young, but he reminds me much more of a The Golden Calf of Bristol or VY. Vick and Young were/are accurate passers with great running ability. I see Cam/VY/The Golden Calf of Bristol as great runners with below avg accuracy.

I believe Cam can extend drives and help win games because of his running ability, but to take the Panthers to the level we want to be, I'm doubtful. Unless you have an unbelievable defense, winning the Super Bowl requires a really good passing game in the modern day NFL. Can accuracy be developed that much at this point? It seems to me most QBs either have it by the time they reach the NFL or they never do. I see Cam having a VY type record as a starting QB which is good, but I'd be suprised to see him turn into an elite passer.

the only important thing is if Ron thinks he's accurate enough by season's opening. I think Cam's got work to do but he's been learning at a quick pace. Precision is not finite as an ability, and as Shula helps improve his footwork and tweak other mechanics you'll see it go up. That's the beauty of Cam, he already has natural talent and he's like a sponge that absorbs tips, pointers and lessons. This is what makes him improve constantly. Confident enough to be a leader, yet malleable enough to take in constructive criticism and sharpen his skills accordingly so he can be better at the end of the day.

Who's sig or avatar? just wondering.

Don't know their names.

If a mod deems it inappropriate or against the rules (which I don't think it is), I will understand.

If not, I fully expect whatever to use that as his avatar and sig.

If not I fully expect Saltman to honor his commitment as mod and do it for him.

Is anyone else concerned about Cam's accuracy? When has a QB ever entered the NFL with below average accuracy for a QB at the NFL level and turned into a dynamic passer? Accuracy is something that shouldn't be a question for a #1 draft pick.
Nope, I'm not concerned about Cam's accuracy.

And I don't believe Cam's accuracy is in question.

Can accuracy be developed that much at this point? It seems to me most QBs either have it by the time they reach the NFL or they never do. I see Cam having a VY type record as a starting QB which is good, but I'd be suprised to see him turn into an elite passer.
It depends on what you mean by 'accuracy'.

I don't believe a QBs intrinsic accuracy can increase.

But, at the elite college level and the NFL inaccurate QBs have long since been weeded out.

In short I don't believe you can be an elite prospect without being able to hit what you aim at.

Sure some QB have greater accuracy then others, but in the NFL I would be hard pressed to describe any QB as net-net inaccurate.

However; I do believe a QB's system specific accuracy can increase through repetition and knowledge of the offense.

Example:

Do you remember the old QB challenges that appeared on TV?

Lets say QB X scores a 40 in accuracy his 1st time.

But, imo if QB X was to keep practicing for the QB challenge they're accuracy in the contest (system) would increase the more they practice.

Accuracy can also increase if the QB knows where to place the ball to make it easier or even possible for the a receiver to make catch against a given defense or defender in a given situation.

Knowing wether to lead a receiver or to throw the ball hard towards their body, wether or not throw a ball high or to throw a ball back shoulder etc. etc.

The more a QB practices a play and practices within an offense their accuracy within that offense will increase.

But, that doesn't mean their intrinsic accuracy increases.

I think Cam will do fine.

Since I can't post threads yet I hope you don't mind if I post a passing chart breakdown I did of Cam from last year in this thread?

Nope, I'm not concerned about Cam's accuracy.

And I don't believe Cam's accuracy is in question.

It depends on what you mean by 'accuracy'.

I don't believe a QBs intrinsic accuracy can increase.

But, at the elite college level and the NFL inaccurate QBs have long since been weeded out.

In short I don't believe you can be an elite prospect without being able to hit what you aim at.

Sure some QB have greater accuracy then others, but in the NFL I would be hard pressed to describe any QB as net-net inaccurate.

However; I do believe a QB's system specific accuracy can increase through repetition and knowledge of the offense.

Example:

Do you remember the old QB challenges that appeared on TV?

Lets say QB X scores a 40 in accuracy his 1st time.

But, imo if QB X was to keep practicing for the QB challenge they're accuracy in the contest (system) would increase the more they practice.

Accuracy can also increase if the QB knows where to place the ball to make it easier or even possible for the a receiver to make catch against a given defense or defender in a given situation.

Knowing wether to lead a receiver or to throw the ball hard towards their body, wether or not throw a ball high or to throw a ball back shoulder etc. etc.

The more a QB practices a play and practices within an offense their accuracy within that offense will increase.

But, that doesn't mean their intrinsic accuracy increases.

I think Cam will do fine.

Since I can't post threads yet I hope you don't mind if I post a passing chart breakdown I did of Cam from last year in this thread?

I am for the chart. Thank you for basically saying what I have been saying from day fugging 1 in a slightly different way. But seriously, if you have a breakdown showing how he progressed, please, post it so TRD can admit he is wrong and go home, tail tucked.

Archived