• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone hoping we sign someone who will help us improve from last year?

TheRealDeal

Does everything think all the big names that are coming to Carolina are already here?

Is it enough to improve much from last year? When will we contend? I thought this was the year to get the marquee guys to set us up as a contender? Is that out the window?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<This guy is.

On the other hand, with a retooled philosophy on the offensive side of the ball and a new QB, can we expect improvement based on that alone?

Getting rid of Davidson and Clausen is actually a big addition but will it be enough?

Do we need to add a legit DT or is Rivera enough?

Thoughts?

Yeah Cam

Is your answer, Yeah because of Cam or are you answering Yeah and referring to me as Cam?

I'm starting to lean towards we will be better just based on the philosophy change with the same cast but I don't think Cam will be ready so I think we take a step back.

Defense needs a corner and a DT or nothing else will matter

Not sure tbh? It really depends on do you think we over achieved or under achieved during the 12-4 year. If you think we over achieved (then yes we need more help), if we under achieved then I think coaching /philosophy change may be the answer. There have been millions of threads on how we have not been either aggressive either defensively or offensively. I think with Rivera promoting a more down field type of approach along with bringing in a Jim Johnson disciple that is about to change.

Looking at it this way:

QB being honest, almost anyone except Clausen of last year would be an upgrade of Delhomme(god bless him). It was more winning despite of Jake than because of him that year. Not going to get into an argument about Cam. I think he is better than Clausen so I will leave it at that.

WR position is arguably either a slight down or slightly up (basically Gettis/Lafel vs Moose), of course SS changes this if he leaves.

RB position is probably the strongest it's ever been with the emergence of Goodsen.

TE position arguably upgraded with the subtraction of King and the addition of Shockey.

OL is not imo as good as 2008.

DL is assuming Hardy builds on last year comparable or perhaps better with the additional draft/FA deals at DT. CJ is not as mecurial as JP but just as good in his own way on the consistency part.

Secondary is better imo as Godfrey and Martin are a year older(hopefully smarter). Gamble is no better or worse.

LB core depends on if Anderson is back and the recovery of Connor/Davis.

Special Teams is a toss up. With the new kick off rules there is no need for Rhys, so Casey or Baker can handle those duties I believe. As far as KR I have no idea, I think Pilares or Edwards could be fighting for that. As far as an upgrade over 2008? Mark Jones was surprisingly efficient.

So I think we can expect improvement on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Enough to contend? Remotely possible. Enough to at least compete as in comparison to last year? Yes.

Archived