• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Johnson signing just shafted Atlanta pretty bad

Fiz

Just to recap Atlanta's defensive line situation from last year.

LDE - John Abraham, a useful player in the twilight of his career. Had his second best year as a Falcon last year after vanishing in 2009. Is 33.

DT (typical a rotation)

- Peria Jerry - 1st round draft pick in 2009, hasn't been healthy often and hasn't looked like he wanted to play when not hurt.

- Jonathan Babineaux - a useful player

- Jamaal Anderson - former first round DE who now rotates in at DE

- Corey Peters - someone who apparently started 15 games

RDE - Kroy Bierman, an oversized 3-4 OLB who likes to date women from the real house wives of atlanta, or like dancing with the stars atlanta. something like that. Any way he's terrible.

They rotated here and there but that's the gist of it.

Atlanta, as was reported, is going to be tight on cap space if they resign Tyson Clabo, which you have to assume they will since their line is crappy enough already.

They also recently gave up over nine thousand points to the Green Bay packers in the playoffs, a game which reminded the world that no one heads to the exits faster than Atlanta sports fans.

They spent two draft on a number 3 receiving option this year and don't have much ammo to pull off a trade.

Not only do they need another DE (they need lots of upgrades on defense, that's just the most glaring one), they need a replacement for Abraham. That was to be Johnson. From what I've gathered and what's been reported, they were offering him about a two year, "let's win a championship" type deal. After that, Blank would have given him whatever he wanted. Say what you want about him, he pays. Sometimes stupidly (ovie Mughelli, Dunta Robinson) but he pays.

Of course that changed when Marty Hurney went down to Miami and Tywin Lannister'd the fug out of some poo.

So now the Falcons are fuged. They drafted very irresponsibly, trading the farm for their 2nd option, and now they're looking at either Ray Edwards or Kiwanuka. They'll be up against the Browns and the Broncos at least. Every agent knows the Falcons are desperate and have no other way. Also, I wouldn't touch Ray Edwards with a ten foot poll, but that's just me.

It's always great when you can help your team. It's better when you can do it and hurt a team in your division at the same time.

Some battles are won with swords.

Others are won with baller ass contracts.

450px-Tywin_Lannister3.png

You know, you are right. I have heard people say we overpaid for Johnson.

1) He had 11.5 sacks last season and is only going to get better.

2) Falcons wanted him pretty bad and it would have been horrible if we let one of our best defenders go to a team within the division, especially a big rival.

3) Now we have a leader on the DL(Johnson), and at LB (Beason). One piece at a time.

Good post, Fiz. I agree. I was saying after the draft the Falcons shoulda drafted like I did for them in our mock draft :) I traded Atl's 1st, 2nd, and 6th to move up to 11 and take Robert Quinn (who would have been available at that point in the real draft too). I think the only D-linemen that had been taken in the top 10 were Aldon Smith and Dareus. Surely they could have parleyed all those draft picks (what was it? 1st, 2nd, 4th this year and 1st, 2nd next year or something like that?) into someone more useful than a #2 receiver.

Archived