• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best song on the Black Album?

Zcustom

Although its is not my favorite Metallica album. it does hold a special place in my heart. I remember looking thru my Dads glove compartment in his car (think i was 8 or 9 at the time)and found a all black cassette case.Popped the tape in And i remember just being blown away by Enter sandman. I must have listened to it 13 times in a row. This album got me into hard rock and metal music,and was such a great era for people who liked heavy music (MTV actually played videos then)as far as favorite song.

The God that failed is mine.

Wherever I May Roam and Don't tread on Me.

Again, this thread is the living essence of the pre-Black and post-Black Metallica fan base. While most of the pre-Black fanbase considers the Black album to be a sellout, changing of the guard, betraying their roots, etc. the fact is, without the commercial success of the Black album, Metallica would have ceased to exist years ago.

As good as the early albums were/are, the fact is they sold more pre-Black albums after the release of the Black album because the Black album gave birth to a new generation of Metallica fans.

The band has been around since 1981- just how long does anyone think they'd survive with Kill 'em All, Master, Lightning, etc? They had a huge cult following back then, but in the disco era they were barely scraping by. How long do you hard-core pre-Black fans think they were going to stay angry, pissed at the world, spit in your face Metallica?

It was 1990 when recording began on the Black album- 9 years after they put the band together. How long does can someone possibly carry such a huge chip on their shoulder? How long can you stay in a bad mood?

2011 marks the 20-year anniversary of the Black album and regardless of what you think about it musically, Metallica would barely be an afterthought in the history of rock had they not done the album. It bridged the gap between the metalheads of the 1980's and the kids raised by disco-loving parents who had nothing to listen to in the 90's.

It added an entire new generation of fans that transcends years of music. I'm 55 now, saw my first 'Tallica show in my late 20's and now I'm seeing those same 20-somethings I once was standing right next to me. If I had kids they'd be right next to me and I'd be happy I could share part of my youth with them.

How about some actual songwriting instead of overproduction, gimmick riffs in the key of E over stale drums, and eyeliner?

Most older fans recognize the Black album as when they officially ran out of Mustaine's riffs.

Pretty much.

Archived