• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UNBELIEVABLE news out of San Fran!!!!

TruCatzFan

http://m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-frontpage/lp/story/us/96428/coke.bp%3B_ylt=AqyQpr7tXGOtlaeR7Kkrtm2x.tw4%3B_ylu=X3oDMTI3cHMxazBsBGNjb2RlA210cHpidQRjcG9zAzkEY3NlYwNtb2JpbGUtdGQEaW50bAN1cwRwa2cDaWQtOTY0MjgEcG9zAzkEc2xrA2ltYWdl?ref_w=frontdoors&view=today&.intl=US&.lang=en&.tsrc=yahoo

There's the link to the story.

Basically the fire department, police, coast guard, and a crowd of people just let this man drown!!!! WTF!? Apparently they were "not allowed" to get into the water to save this man due to a "policy"

This is just disgusting news! How can you stand on the shore and not jump into the water to save this guy? What the fug is wrong with these people in the Bay area!?

I would have jumped in immediately to save this guy, I can't believe these people let this guy drown!

WTF is wrong with people today!??????? I'm just apalled by this...

Your Thoughts? Reactions?

If the man said he was going to commit suicide...you think he'd be easy to bring in? Did they have the tools to deal with someone NOT willing to be brought in? Says he was too shallow for Coast Guard. Too deep for first responders.

Where was the Hoff?

Seems similar to the story about the firefighters that watched the guy's shack burn down because he didn't pay his fee...with a big difference.

Nobody in the burning house vs. a guy clearly drowning...but intentionally.

He chose a crappy way to go, but is that his right?

Was it a cry for help type of thing?

Dunno.

But it is surprising that SOMEONE didn't have the decency or balls to do SOMETHING.

Sounds like the first responders played the "just following orders" card, and probably had to in fear of losing their gig. That raises the question of why they are in the lifesaving game in the first place, but that is a different discussion.

Dunno. What would YOU do?

Jump in...be the hero? That water is cold.

I'd like to think I'd jump in a help. What if you swam up to him and he was crazy. Started getting violent?

On the surface it seems simple. Save him. And not doing anything seems callous.

I mean how hard is it to jump into the water swim to him and pull him back!? This is just a pathetic non effort by all parties involved and it costed a life, while they stood by idley waiting for him to drown! Sickening to me!

Yes, I can see it if they swam out there and the guy was violent... f*ck him, let him drown... but to not even try?

Does the fire dept or someone nearby not have a little boat? Really?

Its actually really hard.

I just completed a Swift Water Rescue class where we learned how to effect water based rescues and if you're not trained with the right equipment then you can easily create two (or more) victims.

Its ugly for sure but if the dude was intent on taking his own life then going after him wouldn't have been anywhere close to easy on the difficulty scale.

Unfortunately I have to agree. The bay is frigidly cold, and turbulent, i.e very dangerous. Anyone who entered the water would be putting their own life at risk. I'm not saying I wouldn't have jumped in, but I won't say I would have either. A very sad story indeed.:(

If I'm a firefighter who had been specifically told not to go in there, I wouldn't, especially if the guy was committing suicide and it meant I'd be fired.

If I was just a bystander, I'd like to think I'd go in and get them.

agreed...I would have to at least try...I'd never be able to just standby and do nothing.

Archived