• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Soon to be star: Jonathan Stewart

teeray

realistically....DeAngleo has one year left in the tank that matters (2012). Based on his age, football mileage and recent history, odds are he won't be healthy imo.

2011 will technically be a season but it won't for a lot of teams with new staffs that don't get adequete time to prepare.

Actually the running game in 2011 will be more important than ever assuming we play a season. That part of the game will have to carry us while the passing game develops. So really 2011 is most critical and 2012/2013 will be most critical since Stewart is a free agent in 2013. Given how little Williams has played over the past 3 or 4 years, he still has a lot in the tank and honestly you can't really predict injuries since most of them are not degenerative but resultant from violent collisions and sometimes freak accidents.

Actually the running game in 2011 will be more important than ever assuming we play a season. That part of the game will have to carry us while the passing game develops. So really 2011 is most critical and 2012/2013 will be most critical since Stewart is a free agent in 2013. Given how little Williams has played over the past 3 or 4 years, he still has a lot in the tank and honestly you can't really predict injuries since most of them are not degenerative but resultant from violent collisions and sometimes freak accidents.

agree it will be important, but in 09 and 10 the running game didn't suffer when Williams was hurt (statistcally it was better).

Stewart doesn't avoid defenders so much as he continues to run after contact. In fact he is one of the top 3 backs when you consider yards after first contact.

Williams is more elusive but goes down easier once he is hit. Stewart rarely goes down with first contact. As such they compliment each other. But Stewart is definitely the more physical downhill runner who is stronger than Williams. It isn't even close.

i never said Stewart wasn't the stronger player, i just said he can't get out of trouble like Williams can. the beginning of the season he didn't perform very well with the O-line blocking like crap. But Williams was at least able to squeak out something respectable.

Stewart is a downhill runner so if you can catch him before he gains momentum he's not going to hurt a defense. He can't perform well if the O-line doesn't show up too, Williams can actually carry the team even if he doesn't have a hole to run through.

Stewart is a great RB. I know people seem worried about his health, but has the guy ever missed a game? I can't remember a game he missed. But I can remember more than enough of Jstews exploits on the field, keep Jstew...please.

i never said Stewart wasn't the stronger player, i just said he can't get out of trouble like Williams can. the beginning of the season he didn't perform very well with the O-line blocking like crap. But Williams was at least able to squeak out something respectable.

Stewart is a downhill runner so if you can catch him before he gains momentum he's not going to hurt a defense. He can't perform well if the O-line doesn't show up too, Williams can actually carry the team even if he doesn't have a hole to run through.

the point being made was Stewart is a bigger, stronger player. so therefore, regardless of him running downhill, he has a better chance to break a tackle than DWill...

in order to push off, run over, or require 2-3 guys to bring you down, regardless of speed, is more of a strength attribute than anything else... most notably, the use of your leg power, the width of your base = Stewart...

the point being made was Stewart is a bigger, stronger player. so therefore, regardless of him running downhill, he has a better chance to break a tackle than DWill...

in order to push off, run over, or require 2-3 guys to bring you down, regardless of speed, is more of a strength attribute than anything else... most notably, the use of your leg power, the width of your base = Stewart...

I don't know why that point is being made as I never disputed that. Everybody knows that.

If the O-line is having a bad day, Stewart will have a bad day. That's all I'm saying, he can't move laterally like Williams can. I don't have a photographic memory of every play there is, but I don't remember Stewart ever getting out of trouble like Williams ever, even when times were good at QB. He's a very good running back but i just don't feel as comfortable with him back there as Williams.

I don't know why that point is being made as I never disputed that. Everybody knows that.

If the O-line is having a bad day, Stewart will have a bad day. That's all I'm saying, he can't move laterally like Williams can. I don't have a photographic memory of every play there is, but I don't remember Stewart ever getting out of trouble like Williams ever, even when times were good at QB. He's a very good running back but i just don't feel as comfortable with him back there as Williams.

I'm not sure what we are talking about then.. but I'll try to reword it.. if DWill or Stewart are both in trouble, Stewart has more of a chance to get out of it. Moving laterally doesn't really account for much when you need to break tackles. Yes, DWill can escape using quickness. The point being raised is Stewart can escape using his strength and he has a more solid base, stiff arm, etc.. and running down hill is irrelevant.. of course, just makes him that much harder to wrap up.

when do these instances occur? when the OLine breaks down..

edit: so when the OLine breaks down, DWill can't always escape 9 times out of 10 using his lateral quickness, speed, etc.. 9 times out of 10, he's going to have to break tackles.. so I feel it's pretty obvious Stewart has better opportunity in this situation. a guy can use speed and quickness to elude players, but you don't get that consistently... at all. Unless you are Barry Sanders.

With Stewart's questionable health, and Goodson's fumble problems. I would definitely prefer to do everything possible to keep Deangelo Williams. The guy is just that good.

Who finished on IR the last two seasons?

I'm not sure what we are talking about then.. but I'll try to reword it.. if DWill or Stewart are both in trouble, Stewart has more of a chance to get out of it. Moving laterally doesn't really account for much when you need to break tackles. Yes, DWill can escape using quickness. The point being raised is Stewart can escape using his strength and he has a more solid base, stiff arm, etc..

when do these instances occur? when the OLine breaks down..

edit: so when the OLine breaks down, DWill can't always escape 9 times out of 10 using his lateral quickness, speed, etc.. 9 times out of 10, he's going to have to break tackles.. so I feel it's pretty obvious Stewart has better opportunity in this situation. a guy can use speed and quickness to elude players, but you don't get that consistently... at all. Unless you are Barry Sanders.

I really don't think Stewart has the better opportunity, he needs room to build up steam. He's not very powerful when he has to start breaking tackles before the LOS.

I feel like a complete spammer because I posted this in two other threads already but since no ones been responding and I still can't make new threads i just have to keep posting in random threads lol, BUT ANYWAYS I made a tribute video to the panthers a few weeks ago in my tech class out of boredom and if you guys can watch and tell me what you think of it I would really appreciate it.. Thanks guys! Here it is:

">

I really don't think Stewart has the better opportunity, he needs room to build up steam. He's not very powerful when he has to start breaking tackles before the LOS.

I've seen different. he's not a 300LB dude who can't accelerate. and in this scenario, he isn't standing still waiting to get wrapped up. This article explains his athleticism. Sure, DWill is quicker and faster. But I would expect Stewart to break more tackles than for DWill to do the Reggie Bush (in his college days)..

the speed of defenders doesn't allow for DWill to get away in the blink of an eye. Stewart has athleticism as well, and isn't standing around waiting for guys to take him down.

we can agree to disagree though.. I really think you are putting too much emphasis on how much steam you think Stewart needs. We aren't talking Jamal Lewis here.

Had an argument with some goon Seahawks fan this afternoon. Said Newton would never amount to anything because he was dumb and that our o-line was trash.

Then proceeded to say that he watched J Stew in high school and continued to spew garbage and claim that he will never have a good season again because he is "too small."

Lol, clown. I spit off actual facts and numbers to him and he shut right up.

Archived