• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Soon to be star: Jonathan Stewart

teeray

people seem to be thinking that the choice is going to be to either keep williams or spend money on some big FA player. what is not understood is just how far under cap we would be. we could sign all of our core players (including williams) and work a new deal with beason and still have to work hard to get up to even the cap minimum.

we have a need for williams to be here. he's got incredible talent, and he's sharing the load.

the whole williams vs. stewart debate is stupid beyond belief. they both have elite talent and they like working together. unless your mind is stuck on fantasy football driven stats...the only thing that matters is that this team builds on it's strength, not taking a step back to take a step forward (which is what would happen if we replaced williams for a shiny WR).

we can and should have both.

Stewart doesn't avoid defenders so much as he continues to run after contact. In fact he is one of the top 3 backs when you consider yards after first contact.

Williams is more elusive but goes down easier once he is hit. Stewart rarely goes down with first contact. As such they compliment each other. But Stewart is definitely the more physical downhill runner who is stronger than Williams. It isn't even close.

having to defend against both of them has got to be a nightmare for any defensive coordinator.

the cool thing about them is that williams is stronger than you would think. he's got a lot more power than your typical speed back like chris johnson. he's got a mean stiff arm. meanwhile, stewart is a lot faster/quicker than you would think a powerback would be. both provide a pretty balanced package in their own right.

together, though, is where they are downright lethal. it isn't just what they do on the field...it's the talking between them to find and exploit weaknesses and the belief that if one can't do it, the other can. they willingly share the role and they make each other smarter and better.

people seem to be thinking that the choice is going to be to either keep williams or spend money on some big FA player. what is not understood is just how far under cap we would be. we could sign all of our core players (including williams) and work a new deal with beason and still have to work hard to get up to even the cap minimum.

we have a need for williams to be here. he's got incredible talent, and he's sharing the load.

the whole williams vs. stewart debate is stupid beyond belief. they both have elite talent and they like working together. unless your mind is stuck on fantasy football driven stats...the only thing that matters is that this team builds on it's strength, not taking a step back to take a step forward (which is what would happen if we replaced williams for a shiny WR).

we can and should have both.

realistically....DeAngleo has one year left in the tank that matters (2012). Based on his age, football mileage and recent history, odds are he won't be healthy imo.

2011 will technically be a season but it won't for a lot of teams with new staffs that don't get adequete time to prepare.

I feel like a complete spammer because I posted this in two other threads already but since no ones been responding and I still can't make new threads i just have to keep posting in random threads lol, BUT ANYWAYS I made a tribute video to the panthers a few weeks ago in my tech class out of boredom and if you guys can watch and tell me what you think of it I would really appreciate it.. Thanks guys! Here it is:

having to defend against both of them has got to be a nightmare for any defensive coordinator.

the cool thing about them is that williams is stronger than you would think. he's got a lot more power than your typical speed back like chris johnson. he's got a mean stiff arm. meanwhile, stewart is a lot faster/quicker than you would think a powerback would be. both provide a pretty balanced package in their own right.

together, though, is where they are downright lethal. it isn't just what they do on the field...it's the talking between them to find and exploit weaknesses and the belief that if one can't do it, the other can. they willingly share the role and they make each other smarter and better.

I agree wholehardedly. Williams and Stewart make a great team. As I discussed earlier, we can afford to keep both of them. Stewart won't be a free agent until 2013 so really we don't have to decide an either or strategy until then. Secondly keeping Williams and some of the other vets this year makes it easier to retain our talent down the road. Guys like Stewart who see Williams being dealt away over money will get the idea that Carolina may not pay for you beyond your rookie contract so you have to look elsewhere for a payday. It doesn't set a good precedent for players versus teams that reward performance and want to keep them.

I feel like a complete spammer because I posted this in two other threads already but since no ones been responding and I still can't make new threads i just have to keep posting in random threads lol, BUT ANYWAYS I made a tribute video to the panthers a few weeks ago in my tech class out of boredom and if you guys can watch and tell me what you think of it I would really appreciate it.. Thanks guys! Here it is:

">

I agree wholehardedly. Williams and Stewart make a great team. As I discussed earlier, we can afford to keep both of them. Stewart won't be a free agent until 2013 so really we don't have to decide an either or strategy until then. Secondly keeping Williams and some of the other vets this year makes it easier to retain our talent down the road. Guys like Stewart who see Williams being dealt away over money will get the idea that Carolina may not pay for you beyond your rookie contract so you have to look elsewhere for a payday. It doesn't set a good precedent for players versus teams that reward performance and want to keep them.

but Williams hasn't said he wants to be in Carolina....and that was the end of discussion. He said he would like to be in Carolina BUT there are factors in play that will determine where he ends up (and some of those have nothing to do with what Carolina is willing to pay).

Overpaying older players isn't a good practice despite Carolina doing it often.....even if they are really cool guys we like.

realistically....DeAngleo has one year left in the tank that matters (2012). Based on his age, football mileage and recent history, odds are he won't be healthy imo.

2011 will technically be a season but it won't for a lot of teams with new staffs that don't get adequete time to prepare.

if he was carrying the full time load (300-400 carries a year) i would be more concerned. the truth is, he will have a much longer shelf life because of stewart. adding goodson just prolongs that shelf life even more.

he's still got a good and productive 3-4 years left in him. he will eventually get passed over by stewart for the starting gig, but he'll still be able to be productive.

if he was carrying the full time load (300-400 carries a year) i would be more concerned. the truth is, he will have a much longer shelf life because of stewart. adding goodson just prolongs that shelf life even more.

he's still got a good and productive 3-4 years left in him. he will eventually get passed over by stewart for the starting gig, but he'll still be able to be productive.

age is the ultimate factor when it comes to NFL RBs...... wishful thinking imo that b/c he runs with Stewart the 30 yr magic number won't apply.....too many examples argue otherwise. Too few that are worth real reps once they hit 30....

I mean, you really want DeAngelo taking carries at 30, 31, and 32 like you are suggesting....considering the contract he should be able to get now? That would be one highly paid RB that just wouldn't be productive enough.

also, I doubt there is a RB in the NFL currently that had more mileage on him when he entered the league than Williams.

I love Williams. But, this realistically could be the smart time to part with him. All depends on if he wants to get paid....

">

age is the ultimate factor when it comes to NFL RBs...... wishful thinking imo that b/c he runs with Stewart the 30 yr magic number won't apply.....too many examples argue otherwise. Too few that are worth real reps once they hit 30....

I mean, you really want DeAngelo taking carries at 30, 31, and 32 like you are suggesting....considering the contract he should be able to get now? That would be one highly paid RB that just wouldn't be productive enough.

also, I doubt there is a RB in the NFL currently that had more mileage on him when he entered the league than Williams.

I love Williams. But, this realistically could be the smart time to part with him. All depends on if he wants to get paid....

it won't be that hard to pay him well for a couple years of productivity. starter for a couple years and then backup for a couple more. what's the problem with that? i see him and stewart just switching roles and number of carries.

you have some good arguments, but the truth is, this team is better off with him as a starter or a backup (in a couple years) and the arguments for outweigh the arguments against keeping him. they'll keep him around.

No Al "Spleen-Buster" Wallace footage?

I would move the clip of Goodell announcing the draft pick of Newton to the very end, maybe followed by the Panther growl. Kinda looks to the future...

I knew someone would say that... Lol, But thanks for the advice! Ill make sure to

Have things chronologically corrected in my next video lol but seriously I appreciate it

it won't be that hard to pay him well for a couple years of productivity. starter for a couple years and then backup for a couple more. what's the problem with that? i see him and stewart just switching roles and number of carries.

you have some good arguments, but the truth is, this team is better off with him as a starter or a backup (in a couple years) and the arguments for outweigh the arguments against keeping him. they'll keep him around.

b/c it is a realistic possiblity that if Stewart and Goodson continue to progress as RBs....and as Williams ages.....you won't want Williams to be getting those reps in a game( but he could b/c of the paycheck he is bringing in).

I think this team is better w/ him in 2011 and 2012 (assuming he stays healthy....which I am not confident in). 2013 and after I think he could steal reps better suited for another RB.

end of the day, I am happy at RB if he stays or go. I just want Carolina to make at move at some quality FA and not just resign the ones we have.

Archived