• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Soon to be star: Jonathan Stewart

teeray

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/21429/soon-to-be-stars-jonathan-stewart

When evaluating running backs across the league, I have a hard time finding a back -- outside of Adrian Peterson -- who is more physically gifted than Jonathan Stewart.

Stewart has displayed flashes of greatness and appears poised to join the elite at his position in 2011. His combination of power, speed, elusiveness, balance and vision is about as good as it gets, and Stewart can be effective inside or on the perimeter.

It’s worth noting that I’m writing this with the assumption that fellow running back DeAngelo Williams, a potential restricted free agent, will be playing elsewhere this season. There is talk that Carolina would like to bring Williams back, but it seems more likely the Panthers will funnel their resources toward defensive end Charles Johnson or a receiving weapon like Zach Miller, Malcolm Floyd or Sidney Rice.

And while the Panthers have more than their fair share of problems on offense, adding mobile quarterback Cam Newton could help the running game. Consider how much more dangerous Tennessee’s Chris Johnson was when Vince Young was his quarterback. Philadelphia’s LeSean McCoy certainly benefited from having Michael Vick in the same backfield.

Sidney Rice? Where is that talk coming from? Did I miss something?

It's free agency man. You gotta throw too much money at somebody.

Diva Status permits dismissal of such trivial things, like practice.

That's a great point and all, but I'm going to have to go ahead and ban all Allen Iverson related posts at this point . . . to be safe.

I'm being Sarcastic. He's always had some type of "injury" to prohibit him from practicing.

Yeah, but I'm saying we go with it. He's too talented to be breaking our own guys tackles in practice. It's just going to demoralize the defense. Detrimental to the whole team.

A quick look at FAWRs...

Steve Breaston

TJ Houshmandzadeh

Throw some money that'a'way.

I'd actually prefer Rice to those two, but as long as we overpay somebody who's role is quickly marginalized by the development of Gettis, Lafell, Edwards, and Pilares, I will be happy.

I'd feel a lot better about his superstar ability if he was healthy enough to practice a couple times.

Yet he doesn't miss games.

D. Williams has had more issues staying healthy. Fact.

I don't share your concern, specially since stew doesn't have health issues (knock on wood).

Archived