• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In this thread I compare the Panthers and Giants drafting, 2002-2009

Fiz

I'm not denying any of this, and I remember it very well. But to say that Hurney is not to blame for this, and the cap problems that followed is just not right. If you give him credit for the good stuff, he has to be held accountable for the bad.

IMO he is not a great cap manager, average at best in that dept.

And his free agency signings, have been close to horrible, as of late.

1 guy made an asinine amount of money in 1 year. there were no cap problems before or after.. And the ONLY focus people should have on the Delhomme extension is that Hurney found a way to create some cap space.. further proving he sort of has a clue on what he's doing.

there was no right answer to Pep.. keep him, trade him, or let him walk.. They tried to keep him, once it was evident he was leaving regardless: they tried again to resign him, he obviously had no real trade value thanks to 2007, and so all you are left with is to let him walk.

if that doesn't make sense, I must ask what else do you think could have been done? (that's rational and plausible)

I agree and understand Hurney was put in a tough situation, but that is probably because I like Hurney and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt due to his overall performance as general manager.

If I wanted him fired, I would bring up the same points and say that he got the absolute least he could for a player in his prime at a premium position, and then incorrectly evaluated two other players also at premium positions and overpaid for them (money for Jake and and draft resources for Brown). It's a valid criticism.

you're absolutely correct in this regard... and a good example that a lot of people base their opinions unwisely around emotion instead of reality.

Conveniently forgetting certain aspects (whether intentionally or accidentally) in some lame attempt to solidify their point.

I said that he was an average cap manager at best.

He had to sign a QB to a crazy extension so that we could sign our rookies.

That is bad cap management.

It's also bad talent/roster evaluation.

Good Lord.

certainly you don't believe that is a fair/accurate representation of what I've already explained..

Good Lord. ;)

you do realize why the Delhomme "saga" took place? because considering so, it's seems like a lame attempt that I hear from people to try NOT to understand the significance of extending him...

I mean, it was all explained up above.. I would prefer those who disagree to critique my post rather than to ignore it so that maybe we can talk about valid points rather than grasping for straws..

then we have a lot of non-panther fans roaming around... for someone to say the delhomme extension was a bad move makes me think people are failing to understand everything that lead up to said extension.

extending Delhomme was a move to create cap space. so how that was a bad move is beyond me. I'm waiting for someone to explain this to me rather than be vague with no points made..

just saying Hurney didn't handle the cap well is totally inaccurate because to make that point you have to ignore a bigger issue known as the Peppers saga. and to say Hurney wasn't between a rock and a hard place isn't accurate.

and if you think he could have handled it better, please explain what you think he should have done?

you're absolutely correct in this regard... and a good example that a lot of people base their opinions unwisely around emotion instead of reality.

You mean like signing a 33 year old QB to 5 year 42 million dollar contract extension after one of the worst playoff performances in the history of the NFL? I would agree that was an unwise decision based on emotion instead of reality. I still don't understand why he wasn't allowed to play his last year out and then decide what to do with him.

Also, if you are going to continue stating that you want your team to be built through the draft and then trade your away your first round pick two years in a row and your second the next, I would argue you are somewhat confused.

I am not trying to argue that Hurney is a horrible GM, I think he is competent. But trying to argue that he is one of best in the league is also laughable. I think he did a pretty good job up until 2008, but since then not so much. I don't know how much of his decisions since 2008 have been based on marching orders or his own free-will, but either way this team has not been the best managed team as of late.

Archived